iphone 5 activation help

Contributor

iphone 5 activation help

Im trying to activate an iphone 5 i purchased from someone on craigslist. The phone has clean esn and is not lost or stolen. When i try to activate it the phone says to insert a sim card to activate. I dont have one at the moment but i can purchase one. The question is can i just get a gophone sim or do i have to get one from att store?
Message 1 of 5 (678 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: iphone 5 activation help

Go to an ATT store and they will most likely give you one depending upon what plan you choose.  They may charge you for a GoPhone SIM but you never know.  No need to purchase one from a third party.  You will not be able to activate your iPhone without a sIM.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 5 (653 Views)
Scholar

If the phone has not been activated by the original purchaser I don't believe you will be able to activate it.
Message 3 of 5 (638 Views)
Employee

If the phone was originally from AT&T (and hasn't been unlocked), you will need an AT&T SIM card to put in it.

If it is an AT&T - Locked Device, you will be able to get a SIM card for this device, regardless of contract/plan type or if you want it to be a Pay As You Go Phone.

You can either purchase one from ATT.com (free for contract phones, $9.99 for GoPhone) or visit an AT&T Retail Store.

If it's locked to any other provider, you'll need to inquire with them on how to go about activating the phone.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5 (577 Views)
ACE - Master

If all you are concerned with is getting past Apple's activation process, any valid SIM card will work. The sim does not even need to be active. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5 (569 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support