Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 1, 2014
4:46:54 PM
View profile
iphone 5 activation help
Im trying to activate an iphone 5 i purchased from someone on craigslist. The phone has clean esn and is not lost or stolen. When i try to activate it the phone says to insert a sim card to activate. I dont have one at the moment but i can purchase one. The question is can i just get a gophone sim or do i have to get one from att store?
Im trying to activate an iphone 5 i purchased from someone on craigslist. The phone has clean esn and is not lost or stolen. When i try to activate it the phone says to insert a sim card to activate. I dont have one at the moment but i can purchase one. The question is can i just get a gophone sim or do i have to get one from att store?

iphone 5 activation help

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 6:18:56 PM
(0)
Master

Go to an ATT store and they will most likely give you one depending upon what plan you choose.  They may charge you for a GoPhone SIM but you never know.  No need to purchase one from a third party.  You will not be able to activate your iPhone without a sIM.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Go to an ATT store and they will most likely give you one depending upon what plan you choose.  They may charge you for a GoPhone SIM but you never know.  No need to purchase one from a third party.  You will not be able to activate your iPhone without a sIM.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: iphone 5 activation help

2 of 5 (575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 7:31:13 PM
(0)
Scholar
If the phone has not been activated by the original purchaser I don't believe you will be able to activate it.
If the phone has not been activated by the original purchaser I don't believe you will be able to activate it.

3 of 5 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 7:01:58 AM
(0)
Employee

If the phone was originally from AT&T (and hasn't been unlocked), you will need an AT&T SIM card to put in it.

If it is an AT&T - Locked Device, you will be able to get a SIM card for this device, regardless of contract/plan type or if you want it to be a Pay As You Go Phone.

You can either purchase one from ATT.com (free for contract phones, $9.99 for GoPhone) or visit an AT&T Retail Store.

If it's locked to any other provider, you'll need to inquire with them on how to go about activating the phone.

If the phone was originally from AT&T (and hasn't been unlocked), you will need an AT&T SIM card to put in it.

If it is an AT&T - Locked Device, you will be able to get a SIM card for this device, regardless of contract/plan type or if you want it to be a Pay As You Go Phone.

You can either purchase one from ATT.com (free for contract phones, $9.99 for GoPhone) or visit an AT&T Retail Store.

If it's locked to any other provider, you'll need to inquire with them on how to go about activating the phone.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 5 (499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 7:53:58 AM
(0)
Former Employee

If all you are concerned with is getting past Apple's activation process, any valid SIM card will work. The sim does not even need to be active. 

If all you are concerned with is getting past Apple's activation process, any valid SIM card will work. The sim does not even need to be active. 

5 of 5 (491 Views)