iPhone5 not receiving calls

Tutor

iPhone5 not receiving calls

At least twice now my other half has tried to call me mobile to mobile.  I'm at home with plenty of cell service (3 to 5 bars).  My phone does not ring, it does not register as a recent or missed call, yet it goes to my voicemail.

Once he left a voice mail and it alerted me like an hour after the voice mail was left.  But didn't register as a missed or recent call.

Second time it went to voice mail and he didn't leave a msg.   Still should register as a recent or missed call I would think.

This happening to anyone else?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 22 (12,702 Views)
Community Support

Re: iPhone5 not receiving calls

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your phone, @KrisM32. Can you send a Private Message to @attjuliecs with your account and contact number? I can have a manager get in touch with you to assist.

Thanks

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 22 (12,572 Views)
Master

KrisM32 wrote:

Once he left a voice mail and it alerted me like an hour after the voice mail was left.  But didn't register as a missed or recent call.

I've seen this issue with cell tower/network problems in the past.  The visual voicemail requires a good cellular data connection and long delays in notification can indicate cellular/data issues.

Even though the phone shows connected doesn't mean it can always process a call.  With tower/network problems there can be oversaturation and not enough capability to complete the call. 

KrisM32 wrote:

Second time it went to voice mail and he didn't leave a msg.   Still should register as a recent or missed call I would think.

No.  If the phone at your end didn't ring it would not show a missed call.  The same thing would happen if your phone was turned off and your friend called.  It would go to your voicemail.  When you turn your phone back on it will not show the calls that happened while it was off.

In any event I would give customer service a call and report the issues so they know there is problems in the area to help it get resolved quicker.

Message 3 of 22 (12,561 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I have had the same problem with Samsung Galaxy. Phone does not ring and no notification that a call was missed. VERY FRUSTRATING. Time to call Verizon.

Message 4 of 22 (12,177 Views)
Contributor

I'm having the same problem since yesterday. My family has brought it to my attention that they are either getting a dialtone when they call or it is going to voicemail after only a ring.
I attempted to call myself from another iPhone and the landline phone and these calls are going straight to voicemail. What can I do?
Message 5 of 22 (10,466 Views)
Professor

Those having this issue, make sure that every day, if you leave your phone on 24/7, to cycle the phone off and back on. Also there can be issues in the area, that your phone's software will think that it is still on another tower, or channel in the circuit, and the MTSO will hic-up, so in turn you get issues like no phone rining, or delayed voicemails.

Happens a lot when people roam outside their home area to another city or country also, when the phone does not properly register with that network.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

that happens to me more and more, is it the phone or AT&T service?

Message 7 of 22 (7,957 Views)
Contributor

I have the same problem...repeatedly get voice mails when i've been sitting with my phone next to me.  No ring - just VM.  I've rebooted my phone and that randomly resolves the problem.  Never had the same issue with the iphone 3gs.  not sure if it's the 5 or if ATT's 4G or LTE service is the culprit.

Message 8 of 22 (7,495 Views)
Scholar

Bags51,

Have you even tried calling AT&T to see if they can resolve the problem? Hate to bust your bubble, but Verizon has issues with their service as well. No carrier can be 100% 100% of the time!
Message 9 of 22 (7,479 Views)
Expert

ircoburn wrote:

I have the same problem...repeatedly get voice mails when i've been sitting with my phone next to me.  No ring - just VM.  I've rebooted my phone and that randomly resolves the problem.  Never had the same issue with the iphone 3gs.  not sure if it's the 5 or if ATT's 4G or LTE service is the culprit.

Call a Apple Genus bar at a Apple store and make an appointment to have Apple check your phone out, sounds more like a individual phone issue, not having problems on the 5 here

Message 10 of 22 (7,474 Views)
Tutor

Still happens to me.  The problem is that it's random and intermittent and so therefore, hard to solve and hard to prove it's happening or hard to prove it is fixed.

Never had problem with 3gs either.

I also recently begun having failed calls, and it flips immediately from "No Service", "Searching...", to 4G or LTE.  This is also random and intermittent.

Message 11 of 22 (7,468 Views)
Expert

KrisM32 wrote:

Still happens to me.  The problem is that it's random and intermittent and so therefore, hard to solve and hard to prove it's happening or hard to prove it is fixed.

Never had problem with 3gs either.

I also recently begun having failed calls, and it flips immediately from "No Service", "Searching...", to 4G or LTE.  This is also random and intermittent.

those symptoms can be attributed to signal strength. have been walking in downtown New York and go from crystal clear reception to dropped call in about 20 feet. you only have about 0.6 watt transceiver power on the phones, which makes terrain important to the quality of a call, not to mention weather conditions, sun spots to name a few others. Some band frequencies are more susceptible to conditions and terrain then others

Message 12 of 22 (7,441 Views)
Tutor

The immediately flipping from No Service, Searching, 4G/LTE and repeat happens while I'm in one spot.  I will try to remember the bar strength next time, but I think it's 5 bars, No Service, Searching, 4G/LTE and then repeat cycle.

Message 13 of 22 (7,428 Views)
Tutor

Problems with the LTE, No Service, Searching endless loop have persisted.  It prompted me to update the software on the phone for the first time since I got it.  It was no help.

I read in another thread about getting a new sim card.  I guess that the next step.

At times, I want to run this phone over with the car.

Message 14 of 22 (7,006 Views)
Master

I see this problem with both AT&T and Verizon and with both iPhones and Galaxy it seems when the provider gets overloaded its easier to port the call over to voice mail and its happened to me a time or two especially in Oak Forest in Houston Texas it seems to be a dead zone for most of the providers maybe someday we will get another tower or two.

Message 15 of 22 (6,969 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.