Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 11, 2014
6:05:00 AM
View profile
iPhone on the wrong network?

My 8GB iPhone 4 cracked the other day. I received a 16GB white iPhone from a friend as a replacement, but it is on the Verizon network. It is in mint condition. Will ATT be able to change it to the ATT network, or can I trade it in with them for a iPhone on the network?

My 8GB iPhone 4 cracked the other day. I received a 16GB white iPhone from a friend as a replacement, but it is on the Verizon network. It is in mint condition. Will ATT be able to change it to the ATT network, or can I trade it in with them for a iPhone on the network?

iPhone on the wrong network?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 9:42:12 AM
(0)
Employee
My guess would be no to each question.
The chipset in each network's phone only works for the technology & protocols that network supports. AT&T and Verizon use different protocols (so they have different radio chipsets ... changing means new hardware).

I haven't heard of any program to take in other vendor's hardware, especially for an existing account. It could happen, I suppose, but I've heard nothing.
My guess would be no to each question.
The chipset in each network's phone only works for the technology & protocols that network supports. AT&T and Verizon use different protocols (so they have different radio chipsets ... changing means new hardware).

I haven't heard of any program to take in other vendor's hardware, especially for an existing account. It could happen, I suppose, but I've heard nothing.
Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: iPhone on the wrong network?

2 of 9 (582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 10:16:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
ChefSick - I believe the key is the SIM card. Here is the wikipedia description - The SIM securely stores the service-subscriber key (IMSI) and the Ki used to identify and authenticate the user of the mobile phone. The SIM card allows users to change phones by simply removing the SIM card from one mobile phone and inserting it into another mobile phone or broadband telephony device.

It seems like att should be able to move your SIM card from one phone to another. You may lose some features, as ScottMac cautions. But, you should have most capabilities

I hope you are asking to gather info to help you negotiate. with att. You need to start slow with a provider by saying please do this for me & try to overcome any hurdles they may present. If you take a can't be done from a forum, you never even tried.

I am saying expect the provider to do what you need as the shortest path to getting it done. Even try additional representatives if you do not get the right answer on the first try. Anticipate the worst, but expect the best outcome.
ChefSick - I believe the key is the SIM card. Here is the wikipedia description - The SIM securely stores the service-subscriber key (IMSI) and the Ki used to identify and authenticate the user of the mobile phone. The SIM card allows users to change phones by simply removing the SIM card from one mobile phone and inserting it into another mobile phone or broadband telephony device.

It seems like att should be able to move your SIM card from one phone to another. You may lose some features, as ScottMac cautions. But, you should have most capabilities

I hope you are asking to gather info to help you negotiate. with att. You need to start slow with a provider by saying please do this for me & try to overcome any hurdles they may present. If you take a can't be done from a forum, you never even tried.

I am saying expect the provider to do what you need as the shortest path to getting it done. Even try additional representatives if you do not get the right answer on the first try. Anticipate the worst, but expect the best outcome.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (577 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 11:48:52 AM
(0)
Employee
Aviewer: I'm pretty sure it's not possible ... not between VZN and AT&T. Verizon uses (in their 3G phones) a completely different protocol suite (EVDO and CDMA versus GSM for AT&T and T Mobile).
These are usually handled by the embedded MODEM in the hardware, and not something easily switched.

There's a better chance with 4G because, aside from the selected bands, they're both using LTE (at the least).

Here's a thread from an Apple forum:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/18751215#18751215
Aviewer: I'm pretty sure it's not possible ... not between VZN and AT&T. Verizon uses (in their 3G phones) a completely different protocol suite (EVDO and CDMA versus GSM for AT&T and T Mobile).
These are usually handled by the embedded MODEM in the hardware, and not something easily switched.

There's a better chance with 4G because, aside from the selected bands, they're both using LTE (at the least).

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 9 (571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 12:32:02 PM
(0)
Former Employee

ScottMac wrote:

Actually, it probably depends on exactly which model iphone. Some Verizon iphones have GSM capability (intended for use overseas) and from what I understand, the GSM side should be unlocked, meaning it can work on any GSM network.

ScottMac wrote:

Actually, it probably depends on exactly which model iphone. Some Verizon iphones have GSM capability (intended for use overseas) and from what I understand, the GSM side should be unlocked, meaning it can work on any GSM network.

5 of 9 (558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 3:01:23 PM
(0)
Expert

sandblaster wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

the 4 is a combo unit, gsm and cdma, but verizon will only unlock for international use and that is temporary, can't remember if the 5 / 5S is the first iphone that verizon carries that is domestically unlocked

sandblaster wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

the 4 is a combo unit, gsm and cdma, but verizon will only unlock for international use and that is temporary, can't remember if the 5 / 5S is the first iphone that verizon carries that is domestically unlocked

6 of 9 (539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 8:00:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
The Verizon iPhone 5 was the first phone that could have been used for domestic and international use.

The iPhone 4 on Verizon will not work on AT&T's network, but the 5 or 5s or 5c will work just fine.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
The Verizon iPhone 5 was the first phone that could have been used for domestic and international use.

The iPhone 4 on Verizon will not work on AT&T's network, but the 5 or 5s or 5c will work just fine.
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 9 (508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2014 3:30:16 PM
(0)
Expert

Evandela wrote:

Could not recall if the domestic unlocked condition was a Apple requirement for the 5S/C or it started earlier with the 5.

Evandela wrote:

Could not recall if the domestic unlocked condition was a Apple requirement for the 5S/C or it started earlier with the 5.

8 of 9 (438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2014 9:46:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Nope, it was a requirement for Verizon due to the Block C spectrum they hold. Smiley Happy

~Sunshine Smiley Happy

Nope, it was a requirement for Verizon due to the Block C spectrum they hold. Smiley Happy

~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)

9 of 9 (416 Views)