Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 2, 2013
3:35:24 AM
iPhone eats up data, even when I turn off data?
I'm having this problem with my iPhone 4, which runs iOS 6.1. It constantly eats up data- megabytes of it!- and no matter what I do, it won't stop. For about three months, I've been shutting off the data except when I need to use it. This has solved most of the problem. However, sometimes I find that my phone used up data when I know I haven't used any at all. This morning I woke up and 5 megabytes had been used even though I had data turned off the whole night. Does anyone else have this problem? Or a solution?
I'm having this problem with my iPhone 4, which runs iOS 6.1. It constantly eats up data- megabytes of it!- and no matter what I do, it won't stop. For about three months, I've been shutting off the data except when I need to use it. This has solved most of the problem. However, sometimes I find that my phone used up data when I know I haven't used any at all. This morning I woke up and 5 megabytes had been used even though I had data turned off the whole night. Does anyone else have this problem? Or a solution?

iPhone eats up data, even when I turn off data?

8 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 3:41:57 AM
(0)
Expert

ilovetheice10 wrote:

wherer are you seeing this, on the phone or on the web site?

ilovetheice10 wrote:

wherer are you seeing this, on the phone or on the web site?

Re: iPhone eats up data, even when I turn off data?

2 of 9 (1,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 8:54:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

I see it on an app I have that tracks my data usage. I also dialed *3282# and the text I recieved reflected the usage too.

I see it on an app I have that tracks my data usage. I also dialed *3282# and the text I recieved reflected the usage too.

3 of 9 (995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 9:32:03 AM
(0)
Expert

ilovetheice10 wrote:

I believe that number gets it from the same place as the website - it is NOT realtime data reporting. On the web page there is this disclaimer, Also with cell data off you will not get visual voicemails or MMS messages sent by phones other then Apple's

ilovetheice10 wrote:

I believe that number gets it from the same place as the website - it is NOT realtime data reporting. On the web page there is this disclaimer, Also with cell data off you will not get visual voicemails or MMS messages sent by phones other then Apple's

4 of 9 (987 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 7:39:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

ilovetheice10 wrote:

What app is that?  Just wondering...

ilovetheice10 wrote:

5 of 9 (886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 9:11:27 AM
(0)
Expert

jane697 wrote:

ilovetheice10 wrote:

Use the one publsihed by Onavo on itunes, free and pretty accurate. Be sure to read the TOS because they use a unique way of capturing the data

jane697 wrote:

ilovetheice10 wrote:

Use the one publsihed by Onavo on itunes, free and pretty accurate. Be sure to read the TOS because they use a unique way of capturing the data

6 of 9 (876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 7:57:38 AM
(0)
Community Support

@ilovetheice10 , do you still have concerns about your data uage? If so, send us a Private Message with your account number, full name, contact information and one of our managers will be in touch to assist. 

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

@ilovetheice10 , do you still have concerns about your data uage? If so, send us a Private Message with your account number, full name, contact information and one of our managers will be in touch to assist. 

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 9 (598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 5:14:14 AM
(0)
Contributor
Hey, I used to have this problem, too. Double click the home button and close out all the apps that use Internet. Running apps in the background will still use your data. Hope it helps you.
-Lindsey
Hey, I used to have this problem, too. Double click the home button and close out all the apps that use Internet. Running apps in the background will still use your data. Hope it helps you.
-Lindsey

8 of 9 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 7:00:58 AM
(0)
Expert

skaterwithaboard wrote:
-Lindsey

not just that, if you have your social networking information on the phone those apps will poll the sites even if the app is not minimized, same with the icloud backup services, and the itunes auto update ability

skaterwithaboard wrote:
-Lindsey

not just that, if you have your social networking information on the phone those apps will poll the sites even if the app is not minimized, same with the icloud backup services, and the itunes auto update ability

9 of 9 (510 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments