iPhone Upgrade/Sell Information

Contributor

iPhone Upgrade/Sell Information

I have read a lot of the postings, but there is not a scenario exactly like mine, so I decided to post for a more specific answer.

My mom and I share an account, a few months ago my line was eligible for upgrade so I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to 4S on my line.

Now my mom's line is elgible, actually it has been for over a year, but she does not want to upgrade.  In fact, she already has another backup phone in case her current flip phone takes a dive.

1) If I upgrade her line am I able to activate it under my number, and keep hers the same plan for her with no data, texting, etc?

2) If I do activate the new 4s on my line will I be able to sell the old 4s that I have had for only two months?

I don't need to actuavte the new one and then switch back since the two phones would be identical, I would just sell the one I have had for a few months and call it a day, I just want to make sure there are no additional charges or restrictions because I have only had it two months.  

3) Assuming 1 & 2 are possible, would the old 4S be locked when I sell it, and if so can the person I sell it to still activate it with AT&T if they are able to reach me?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me on this subject!

Message 1 of 2 (442 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: iPhone Upgrade/Sell Information

anilos81 wrote:

I have read a lot of the postings, but there is not a scenario exactly like mine, so I decided to post for a more specific answer.

My mom and I share an account, a few months ago my line was eligible for upgrade so I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to 4S on my line.

Now my mom's line is elgible, actually it has been for over a year, but she does not want to upgrade.  In fact, she already has another backup phone in case her current flip phone takes a dive.

1) If I upgrade her line am I able to activate it under my number, and keep hers the same plan for her with no data, texting, etc?

2) If I do activate the new 4s on my line will I be able to sell the old 4s that I have had for only two months?

I don't need to actuavte the new one and then switch back since the two phones would be identical, I would just sell the one I have had for a few months and call it a day, I just want to make sure there are no additional charges or restrictions because I have only had it two months.  

3) Assuming 1 & 2 are possible, would the old 4S be locked when I sell it, and if so can the person I sell it to still activate it with AT&T if they are able to reach me?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me on this subject!

1. I beleive a new iphone has to be activated on the number it was upgraded from, but not sure

2. Yes you can sell it, but it cannot be unlocked so another ATT user has to purchase it. The unlock policy for a iphone is that if it was subsidized the 2 year contract is required to be completed.

Message 2 of 2 (415 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.