iPhone Upgrade Mid-Contract

Contributor

iPhone Upgrade Mid-Contract

Hello all,

I currently have the iPhone 5 and am 1 year through my 2 year contract. I'm looking to upgrade to the iPhone 5S when it comes out in the coming weeks. As I understand it, I am able to pay a $250 upgrade fee on top of the $200 for the new phone in order to get the new one. I am wondering if when I pay this upgrade fee if it will cancel my current phone contract essentially making my old iPhone 5 all mine. I ask because I then look to sell my iPhone 5 in some sort of trade in program for around $300. This means that in all I pay around $150 to essentially replace my phone. Is this correct or am I way off base?

Thanks,

First time forum poster

Message 8 of 17
Highlighted
Expert

Re: iPhone 5S Upgrade

Linkgx1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Aybara wrote:

So I bought an iPhone 5 last year, and I can't find upgrade pricing on AT&Ts site yet for the 5S.

However, as the rumors have been floating that they won't offer the mid-contract upgrade this time, it seems the better deal is to jump ship for the 5S.

The 64GB iPhone 5S is $850 full price if I stay on AT&T.

If I jump to another provider, I pay my ETF of $200, and get new phone pricing of $400.  Which means I save $200 going to another carrier for the new phone.

All cell carriers in my area have equal service (except Sprint who doesn't have LTE yet).

So is AT&T seriously going to prefer that I bail to get a new phone rather than staying with them?

No they are not going to allow you to early upgrade, you signed a binding contract last year to get the phone at a discounted price. The have not offered a mid contract upgrade on the Iphone in years, there was not one on the 5, nor the 4s, nor the 4 nor the 3gs, there was no need for one on the 3G since original purchasers of the 2G paid full price for the device is I recall correctly.

I would say this is incorrect. They offered me an early upgrade for a $200 fee.....

early upgrade is 250.00, would not expect to get it for 200.00

Message 16 of 17

Re: iPhone Upgrade Mid-Contract

I went to the att store today and you can do early upgrades on iPhones for about $160 plus old iPhone trade in
Message 17 of 17
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support