Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 12, 2013
6:40:27 PM
View profile
iPhone Upgrade Mid-Contract

Hello all,

I currently have the iPhone 5 and am 1 year through my 2 year contract. I'm looking to upgrade to the iPhone 5S when it comes out in the coming weeks. As I understand it, I am able to pay a $250 upgrade fee on top of the $200 for the new phone in order to get the new one. I am wondering if when I pay this upgrade fee if it will cancel my current phone contract essentially making my old iPhone 5 all mine. I ask because I then look to sell my iPhone 5 in some sort of trade in program for around $300. This means that in all I pay around $150 to essentially replace my phone. Is this correct or am I way off base?

Thanks,

First time forum poster

Hello all,

I currently have the iPhone 5 and am 1 year through my 2 year contract. I'm looking to upgrade to the iPhone 5S when it comes out in the coming weeks. As I understand it, I am able to pay a $250 upgrade fee on top of the $200 for the new phone in order to get the new one. I am wondering if when I pay this upgrade fee if it will cancel my current phone contract essentially making my old iPhone 5 all mine. I ask because I then look to sell my iPhone 5 in some sort of trade in program for around $300. This means that in all I pay around $150 to essentially replace my phone. Is this correct or am I way off base?

Thanks,

First time forum poster

iPhone Upgrade Mid-Contract

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 6:49:44 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Sep 12, 2013 at 6:50:53 PM

upgrademenow wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks,

First time forum poster

you can only do that if you are eligible for a early upgrade, you need to check your upgrade status on the MyATT site, it will tell you if you are eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price, if it does not you may not be able to take advantage of the early upgrade costs.

If you are, then yes you can sell the old phone, be aware that att will more then likely not unlock the phone for you and the person that buy it from you will definately not get att to unlock it for them

upgrademenow wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks,

First time forum poster

you can only do that if you are eligible for a early upgrade, you need to check your upgrade status on the MyATT site, it will tell you if you are eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price, if it does not you may not be able to take advantage of the early upgrade costs.

If you are, then yes you can sell the old phone, be aware that att will more then likely not unlock the phone for you and the person that buy it from you will definately not get att to unlock it for them

Re: iPhone Upgrade Mid-Contract

[ Edited ]
9 of 17 (15,324 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 5:07:16 AM
(0)
Professor
From what's been posted before, AT&T did away with early upgrades for a lot of people. If your 2 year contract ends after a certain date, they hold you to 2 years. I got the 5 on the day it came out, and according to the upgrade message, my only options at full retail or a upgrade on 9/15/14. No mention of an early discounted upgrade.
From what's been posted before, AT&T did away with early upgrades for a lot of people. If your 2 year contract ends after a certain date, they hold you to 2 years. I got the 5 on the day it came out, and according to the upgrade message, my only options at full retail or a upgrade on 9/15/14. No mention of an early discounted upgrade.

10 of 17 (15,251 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 11:32:56 AM
(0)
Teacher

So I bought an iPhone 5 last year, and I can't find upgrade pricing on AT&Ts site yet for the 5S.

However, as the rumors have been floating that they won't offer the mid-contract upgrade this time, it seems the better deal is to jump ship for the 5S.

The 64GB iPhone 5S is $850 full price if I stay on AT&T.

If I jump to another provider, I pay my ETF of $200, and get new phone pricing of $400.  Which means I save $200 going to another carrier for the new phone.

All cell carriers in my area have equal service (except Sprint who doesn't have LTE yet).

So is AT&T seriously going to prefer that I bail to get a new phone rather than staying with them?

So I bought an iPhone 5 last year, and I can't find upgrade pricing on AT&Ts site yet for the 5S.

However, as the rumors have been floating that they won't offer the mid-contract upgrade this time, it seems the better deal is to jump ship for the 5S.

If I jump to another provider, I pay my ETF of $200, and get new phone pricing of $400.  Which means I save $200 going to another carrier for the new phone.

All cell carriers in my area have equal service (except Sprint who doesn't have LTE yet).

So is AT&T seriously going to prefer that I bail to get a new phone rather than staying with them?

iPhone 5S Upgrade

1 of 17 (16,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 11:38:18 AM
(0)
Expert

Aybara wrote:

No they are not going to allow you to early upgrade, you signed a binding contract last year to get the phone at a discounted price. The have not offered a mid contract upgrade on the Iphone in years, there was not one on the 5, nor the 4s, nor the 4 nor the 3gs, there was no need for one on the 3G since original purchasers of the 2G paid full price for the device is I recall correctly.

Aybara wrote:

No they are not going to allow you to early upgrade, you signed a binding contract last year to get the phone at a discounted price. The have not offered a mid contract upgrade on the Iphone in years, there was not one on the 5, nor the 4s, nor the 4 nor the 3gs, there was no need for one on the 3G since original purchasers of the 2G paid full price for the device is I recall correctly.

Re: iPhone 5S Upgrade

2 of 17 (16,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 11:41:26 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Aybara on Sep 10, 2013 at 11:49:23 AM

That is incorrect.

Last year I upgraded from a 4S to a 5 and did not pay the full price of $850, I paid $550 (or close to it, but it wasn't full price) for a partial upgrade price.  It was due to being a customer is good standing and having a high monthly recurring charge on my phone line.  At that time, with ETF and such going to a new carrier was a wash pricing wise.

This time around leaving for a new phone seems to be a better deal.

EDIT:

Per the Apple page, if I 'check eligibility' I can get the new iPhone from AT&T for $650 if I want to wait until mid-to-late October (the discount I got last time).  However, that is still $45 more than cancelling and going to a new carrier.

That is incorrect.

Last year I upgraded from a 4S to a 5 and did not pay the full price of $850, I paid $550 (or close to it, but it wasn't full price) for a partial upgrade price.  It was due to being a customer is good standing and having a high monthly recurring charge on my phone line.  At that time, with ETF and such going to a new carrier was a wash pricing wise.

EDIT:

Per the Apple page, if I 'check eligibility' I can get the new iPhone from AT&T for $650 if I want to wait until mid-to-late October (the discount I got last time).  However, that is still $45 more than cancelling and going to a new carrier.

[ Edited ]
3 of 17 (16,447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 11:50:06 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Sep 10, 2013 at 11:55:40 AM

Aybara wrote:

That is incorrect.

that was called a early upgrade, you paid the discounted cost of the phone + 250.00, if the subsidized price of the 64GB 5S is the same then it would be. 399.99 + 250.00. You can see if you are eligible by going to the MyATT and checking your upgrade status, but they never offered a mid contract full subsidized price upgrade

Aybara wrote:

That is incorrect.

that was called a early upgrade, you paid the discounted cost of the phone + 250.00, if the subsidized price of the 64GB 5S is the same then it would be. 399.99 + 250.00. You can see if you are eligible by going to the MyATT and checking your upgrade status, but they never offered a mid contract full subsidized price upgrade

[ Edited ]
4 of 17 (16,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 11:56:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

According to the upgrade page as of 9/10 @ 12:00p PDT:

You are eligible for the latest devices at full retail price. You may be eligible for an upgrade on 9/14/2014.

Doesn't sound like any discount is available at this time.  Only time will tell, the systems may not have been updated yet. 

You are eligible for the latest devices at full retail price. You may be eligible for an upgrade on 9/14/2014.

Doesn't sound like any discount is available at this time.  Only time will tell, the systems may not have been updated yet. 

5 of 17 (16,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 12:03:32 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Sep 10, 2013 at 12:04:30 PM

Aybara wrote:

they are still offering that, I double checked before I posted it and it is on my one daughters phone, she is not eligible for full upgrade until 06/2014, the other daughter does not have it, she is not eligible for upgrade till 1/2014. So it is time dependent but still available. would suspect that it will show up on you next month

Aybara wrote:

they are still offering that, I double checked before I posted it and it is on my one daughters phone, she is not eligible for full upgrade until 06/2014, the other daughter does not have it, she is not eligible for upgrade till 1/2014. So it is time dependent but still available. would suspect that it will show up on you next month

[ Edited ]
6 of 17 (16,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 2:16:59 PM
(0)
Professor
This is the same thing that comes up with EVERY new iPhone release. You can almost always get a lower price by switching carriers (works both ways - same if you leave another carrier and come to AT&T). The flip side is that if you do swap, now you are locked into that carriers contract when the next phone comes out in a year or so.
This is the same thing that comes up with EVERY new iPhone release. You can almost always get a lower price by switching carriers (works both ways - same if you leave another carrier and come to AT&T). The flip side is that if you do swap, now you are locked into that carriers contract when the next phone comes out in a year or so.

7 of 17 (16,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 7:41:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

upgrademenow wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks,

First time forum poster

Yes, if you are eligible for the early upgrade pricing and upgrade, you will start a new 2 year contract which will replace your existing contract. You can do what you want with your iphone 5 even now, it is already yours. Your contract obligation is to maintain service, it does not specify on which phone. You could swap to a dumb phone and sell your iphone 5 now, if you wanted to.

upgrademenow wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks,

First time forum poster

Yes, if you are eligible for the early upgrade pricing and upgrade, you will start a new 2 year contract which will replace your existing contract. You can do what you want with your iphone 5 even now, it is already yours. Your contract obligation is to maintain service, it does not specify on which phone. You could swap to a dumb phone and sell your iphone 5 now, if you wanted to.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 17 (15,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 9:30:48 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by 21stNow on Sep 13, 2013 at 9:35:27 AM

There is a difference between early upgrade (new two-year contract +$250 upgrade fee) and regular upgrades that occurred at 20 months (new two-year contract + $36 upgrade fee).  The 20-month upgrades are no longer offered for contracts that expire 3/1/14 or later, but the early upgrade option should still be there, provided enough time has lapsed since the last upgrade was done.

Edited to add: once I went all the way through to shop for a new phone on myATT, I had early upgrade pricing for iPhones only (which is the way that it was in the past for me).  So an iPhone 5C is $349 for me (for example purposes only!).

There is a difference between early upgrade (new two-year contract +$250 upgrade fee) and regular upgrades that occurred at 20 months (new two-year contract + $36 upgrade fee).  The 20-month upgrades are no longer offered for contracts that expire 3/1/14 or later, but the early upgrade option should still be there, provided enough time has lapsed since the last upgrade was done.

Edited to add: once I went all the way through to shop for a new phone on myATT, I had early upgrade pricing for iPhones only (which is the way that it was in the past for me).  So an iPhone 5C is $349 for me (for example purposes only!).

[ Edited ]
12 of 17 (15,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 8:28:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

I just called ATT tonight & was able to get the early upgrade even though i was less then a yr through my Iphone contract.Thanks again ATT i think if you really want the new 5S give customer service call its worth a try  especially if your thinking you can't get the new 5S because your under contract.

I just called ATT tonight & was able to get the early upgrade even though i was less then a yr through my Iphone contract.Thanks again ATT i think if you really want the new 5S give customer service call its worth a try  especially if your thinking you can't get the new 5S because your under contract.

13 of 17 (14,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 4:32:49 AM
(0)
Expert

hpd777 wrote:

curious - the 5S is not available, how did you get a early upgrade to it

hpd777 wrote:

curious - the 5S is not available, how did you get a early upgrade to it

14 of 17 (14,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 5:24:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

Aybara wrote:

I would say this is incorrect. They offered me an early upgrade for a $200 fee.....

wingrider01 wrote:

Aybara wrote:

I would say this is incorrect. They offered me an early upgrade for a $200 fee.....

15 of 17 (14,948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 6:12:26 AM
(0)
Expert

Linkgx1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Aybara wrote:

early upgrade is 250.00, would not expect to get it for 200.00

Linkgx1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Aybara wrote:

early upgrade is 250.00, would not expect to get it for 200.00

16 of 17 (14,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2015 6:05:44 PM
(0)
Tutor
I went to the att store today and you can do early upgrades on iPhones for about $160 plus old iPhone trade in
I went to the att store today and you can do early upgrades on iPhones for about $160 plus old iPhone trade in

17 of 17 (920 Views)