iPhone Data Usage Counter DIFFERENT from AT&T (*3282#, *DATA#)

Teacher

iPhone Data Usage Counter DIFFERENT from AT&T (*3282#, *DATA#)

I reset my iPhone Cellular Network Data Counter (Reset Statistics) at the same time my "new month" started.  I inentionally synchronized this carefully.  I have noticed as I have tracked my usage via the iPhone 4S internal counter (Settings / General / Cellular Usage / Cellular Network Data), and adding the Sent and Received amounts, that what the iPhone is counting is less than what AT&T is counting and reporting back to me via *DATA#.  My iPhone 4S thinks it used about 7% less than AT&T is telling me I used.   The numbers have continued to diverge, with the iPhone reporting a lower number (yes, I am adding sent and received) than AT&T.  Any reasons for this ?

Message 1 of 35 (48,319 Views)
Contributor

Re: iPhone Data Usage Counter DIFFERENT from AT&T (*3282#, *DATA#)

wingrider01 - I think everyone see's what you are saying however I think are missing the bigger point.  Let me take a different approach - lets assume YOUR account has a data cap, for ease of use we will pick 300 MB.  Month #1 you use 200 MB roaming and that's it (or whatever needs to happen that makes the reporting back to ATT the longest).  So at the billing cycle end date it actually reports 0.  So you pay your first month bill thinking great, no overages.  Now next month you use another 200 MB which is reported during that cycle, then we also add the 200 MB that wasn't reported from last month for a total of 400 MB.  So now you pay an overage in month two.  Now I am not sure about you, but that would annoy me slightly as during each billing cycle I was actually well within my limits during usage.  SO I like many others on here call "bull" on the reporting estimate could be from last month or two months ago crap.  ATT knows EXACTLY when the data was used even if it wasn't reported to the next billing cycle - so if they are that willing to pop you an overage, then they should really due the accounting and give those to you "free" if they weren't reporting in that billing cycle, or keep a running tally of the unused data the prior month and apply those late usage reports to that number rather than the current billing cycle.

Also, if while many others on here are talking about moniting their usage daily (iphone counter vs att site or app) in the end of the day, it's the BILL that is the the problem, if they are billing on estimated usage that may or may not have occured during the month is just crazy.  Verizon doesn't have this issue, tmobile doesn't have this issue, sprint doesn't have this issue, so why ATT?  Moreover, I have been doing comparison between my wife's iphone 4s (300 MB plan) and my iphone 5 (still grandfathered for unlimited data) and funny thing, my iphone reports and my billing is pretty darn close +- 2%, yet my wife's most of the time is off by several hundred MB (30-50%).  Now this very well could be hardware related iphone5 vs 4s - we are running the same iOS version, we are running pretty much the same apps yet on some months her data usage is greater or very close to mine.  Almost hard to beleive since I stream pandora, MLB.tv, all of my podcasts, about 3 times the amount of email, etc, and here is the kicker, my wife is at home 98% of the time on Wifi.  Unless I am driving the car or we are out at dinner, she is using wifi.  

So based on the many many many reports of users experincing the same type of issues, I would say there is a problem somewhere.  Based on my research and reporting for the past 6 months I would lean towards the problem being ATT.  But for now my only resolution is to call each month and have the overage changes refuned.  I will give ATT that, they never seem to put up a fight, I just ask and they refund it.

Message 31 of 35 (791 Views)
ACE - Master

edelbug wrote:

... and here is the kicker, my wife is at home 98% of the time on Wifi.  Unless I am driving the car or we are out at dinner, she is using wifi.  

This is a common mis-conception that people have.  Apple has stated that by design the iPhone will turn off the wifi radio after the phone has entered "standby mode" in order to conserve battery power, unless the iPhone is connected to an external power source.  My iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, and now iPhone 5 all support this.  When they do not have an external power source, they all turn off the wifi radio a few minutes after they enter the screen sleep mode.  This was a feature added several years ago after iPod Touch users complained about short battery life if they left their wifi radio turned on.

I solved this problem for myself by putting my iPhone 4 in a Mophie Juice Pack Air, so it always had external power until the battery in the case died.  Generally, my iPhone 4 would make it through the day and into the evening at home before the battery in the Mophie case died.  

Some people also "solved" this by changing the way the lock screen behaved.  I believe that if you disable the screen auto lock (and possibly pass code locking in general) that it would also keep the wifi radio on becuse the iPhone would never really enter into this "standby mode".  I never dug much into that because I found that I got so used to having my iPhone in a Mophie case that I bought one for my iPhone 5 too.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 35 (782 Views)
Expert

GeekBoy wrote:

edelbug wrote:

... and here is the kicker, my wife is at home 98% of the time on Wifi.  Unless I am driving the car or we are out at dinner, she is using wifi.  

This is a common mis-conception that people have.  Apple has stated that by design the iPhone will turn off the wifi radio after the phone has entered "standby mode" in order to conserve battery power, unless the iPhone is connected to an external power source.  My iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, and now iPhone 5 all support this.  When they do not have an external power source, they all turn off the wifi radio a few minutes after they enter the screen sleep mode.  This was a feature added several years ago after iPod Touch users complained about short battery life if they left their wifi radio turned on.

I solved this problem for myself by putting my iPhone 4 in a Mophie Juice Pack Air, so it always had external power until the battery in the case died.  Generally, my iPhone 4 would make it through the day and into the evening at home before the battery in the Mophie case died.  

Some people also "solved" this by changing the way the lock screen behaved.  I believe that if you disable the screen auto lock (and possibly pass code locking in general) that it would also keep the wifi radio on becuse the iPhone would never really enter into this "standby mode".  I never dug much into that because I found that I got so used to having my iPhone in a Mophie case that I bought one for my iPhone 5 too.

run the iphone on a sniffer, you will see now that the wifi radio does turn off when it goes into hibernation, this changed sometime in the IOS 6.x.x gneration.

Tested 5 iphones on the wireless network with a sniffer in place monitoring the unique mac address of each phone, while the phone where plugged in and active all five mac addresses where present, about 5 seconds after the phones went into hibernation the mac address cleared from the sniffer and dhcp released the ip;s back to the unused address pool. In all cases the screen does not lock on hibernation nor does it require the 4 digit access code. Also verified it with mine and my daughters personal Iphone 5 at the house.

two firewall status screen shots - shot own is with the iphone active and connected to the wi-fi

Iphone active, streaming audio

screen shot about 5 seconds after the phone standby with audio still streaming

as you can see the Iphones MAC address is no longer on the wifi trace.

Message 33 of 35 (775 Views)
Voyager

WingRider - you're still not getting it, are you?  We ALL understand that PHONE = REAL TIME and AT&T = DELAY...therefore on ANY GIVEN DAY or TIME, AT&T's data usage should be equal, or more likely LESS than the phone is measuring...however AT&T is ALWAYS HIGHER..!!

Further, you keep insisting that AT&T's data could be "delayed" as much as 60 days, which is crazy and easily discounted for the simple fact at the date of cycle change, it goes back to ZERO just as it should every month...and does.  We track our phone usage DAILY...comparing the phone's meter with AT&T's meter...on the FIRST DAY of each month's cycle, THEY ARE BOTH ZERO...!!!  If this was delayed as much as you claim, it should always read something...from days past...but it doesn't.

Continuing with the facts...after day one...BOTH COUNTERS are zero...and then, from there, EACH and EVERY DAY that passes, AT&T's counter climbs higher and higher...whereas if there was ANY delay in reporting data usage, it should (according to you) always be lagging...which it NEVER IS.  If phone=real time and AT&T=delay how could AT&T's counter EVER be higher, since they are BOTH reset on the same day every month?  NOT POSSIBLE.

Message 34 of 35 (670 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

JTK_Forever wrote:

WingRider - you're still not getting it, are you?  We ALL understand that PHONE = REAL TIME and AT&T = DELAY...therefore on ANY GIVEN DAY or TIME, AT&T's data usage should be equal, or more likely LESS than the phone is measuring...however AT&T is ALWAYS HIGHER..!!

Further, you keep insisting that AT&T's data could be "delayed" as much as 60 days, which is crazy and easily discounted for the simple fact at the date of cycle change, it goes back to ZERO just as it should every month...and does.  We track our phone usage DAILY...comparing the phone's meter with AT&T's meter...on the FIRST DAY of each month's cycle, THEY ARE BOTH ZERO...!!!  If this was delayed as much as you claim, it should always read something...from days past...but it doesn't.

Continuing with the facts...after day one...BOTH COUNTERS are zero...and then, from there, EACH and EVERY DAY that passes, AT&T's counter climbs higher and higher...whereas if there was ANY delay in reporting data usage, it should (according to you) always be lagging...which it NEVER IS.  If phone=real time and AT&T=delay how could AT&T's counter EVER be higher, since they are BOTH reset on the same day every month?  NOT POSSIBLE.

I am not "INSISTING" anything, if is documented ON the website if you take the time to read it. So what if "all the counters are set to zero" on the first day. 2 minutes after they are reset to zero a block of 10 or 15 meg that was used 10 days previously or even 60 DAYS previously could post to the website. Sorry your "NOT POSSIBLE" is 100 percent POSSIBLE. Just how hard is this to comprehend or just that you don;t want to? After all the definition of the word "DELAY" pretty much sums it up.

Here is the wording from the disclaimer on the site and the definition of the word delay

delay  - definition

verb (used with object)

1. to put off to a later time; defer; postpone: The pilot delayed the flight until the weather cleared.
2. to impede the process or progress or hinder: The dense fog delayed the plane's landing.
verb (used without object)
3. to put off action; linger; loiter: He delayed until it was too late.
noun
4. the act of delaying; procrastination; loitering.
5. an instance of being delayed: There were many delays during the train trip.
6. the period or amount of time during which something is delayed: The ballet performance began after a half-hour delay.

Origin: 1225–75; Middle English delaien  (v.), delai ( e ) (noun) < Old French delaier  (v.), delai  (noun)
Message 35 of 35 (667 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.