iPhone Data Usage Counter DIFFERENT from AT&T (*3282#, *DATA#)

Teacher

iPhone Data Usage Counter DIFFERENT from AT&T (*3282#, *DATA#)

I reset my iPhone Cellular Network Data Counter (Reset Statistics) at the same time my "new month" started.  I inentionally synchronized this carefully.  I have noticed as I have tracked my usage via the iPhone 4S internal counter (Settings / General / Cellular Usage / Cellular Network Data), and adding the Sent and Received amounts, that what the iPhone is counting is less than what AT&T is counting and reporting back to me via *DATA#.  My iPhone 4S thinks it used about 7% less than AT&T is telling me I used.   The numbers have continued to diverge, with the iPhone reporting a lower number (yes, I am adding sent and received) than AT&T.  Any reasons for this ?

Message 1 of 35 (48,360 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone Data Usage Counter DIFFERENT from AT&T (*3282#, *DATA#)

ssherrat wrote:

I reset my iPhone Cellular Network Data Counter (Reset Statistics) at the same time my "new month" started.  I inentionally synchronized this carefully.  I have noticed as I have tracked my usage via the iPhone 4S internal counter (Settings / General / Cellular Usage / Cellular Network Data), and adding the Sent and Received amounts, that what the iPhone is counting is less than what AT&T is counting and reporting back to me via *DATA#.  My iPhone 4S thinks it used about 7% less than AT&T is telling me I used.   The numbers have continued to diverge, with the iPhone reporting a lower number (yes, I am adding sent and received) than AT&T.  Any reasons for this ?

During the month, what is reported on ATT's site is only an estimate of usage and is not comparable to the iPhone counter.  To take this further,  I have not seen any reports or validation that the counter on the iPhone is accurate/inaccurate? At best/worst it is an estimate of usage.
I would also remind you that ATT will round the days usage to the nearest MB where the internal counter of the iPhone is not rounding in sync with your ATT account. For example, 12.7mb would be rounded to 13mb on ATT but would be counted at 12.7mb on the iPhone.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 35 (48,243 Views)
Guru

youngjm wrote:

ssherrat wrote:

During the month, what is reported on ATT's site is only an estimate of usage and is not comparable to the iPhone counter.  To take this further,  I have not seen any reports or validation that the counter on the iPhone is accurate/inaccurate? At best/worst it is an estimate of usage.
I would also remind you that ATT will round the days usage to the nearest MB where the internal counter of the iPhone is not rounding in sync with your ATT account. For example, 12.7mb would be rounded to 13mb on ATT but would be counted at 12.7mb on the iPhone.

If that were the case, then would you agree that the difference over the course of a month should come out to about 15 MB (0.5 MB rounded up to 1 MB, then x 30-31 days)?  Meaning, over the course of a month, the difference between the iPhone counter (assuming you zero it out at the beginning of the month/cycle) and what AT&T reports for that month shouldn't be more than 15 MB; if it's more than that, then either something is being miscalculated or AT&T isn't really rounding up to the nearest MB but perhaps to say, the nearest 10 MB...or 100 MB...or an even higher value than that?  Or are they rounding the total amount used on a monthly cycle, weekly cycle, daily cycle...or heaven forbid, every hour?  I mean, rounding up the total to the nearest MB at the end of the month is one thing...rounding it up to the nearest MB at the end of every hour is something else entirely.

Message 3 of 35 (48,225 Views)
Guru

I use this app and am generally pleased with it:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/data-usage/id386950560?mt=8

I only wish it would seperate roaming from non-roaming usage.  

Message 4 of 35 (48,188 Views)
Teacher

Thanks.  Are the results the app reports closer to what AT&T thinks you used, or the usage reported by Settings->General->Usage->Cellular Usage->Cellular Network Data ?

Message 5 of 35 (48,180 Views)

youngjm wrote:

Wow, really?  How do you figure the iPhone is only 'estimating' it's own usage?

If there is ONE location a person could get an accurate up to the minute usage measurement, it's the device itself.  The

I've never come across a device that, if it were capable of measuring it's own traffic, did it on an 'estimated' basis.

That is counter intuitive, and not not the sort of engineering we've seen from Apple ever before...

Message 6 of 35 (48,060 Views)
Master

DimentoGraven wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Wow, really?  How do you figure the iPhone is only 'estimating' it's own usage?

If there is ONE location a person could get an accurate up to the minute usage measurement, it's the device itself.  The

I've never come across a device that, if it were capable of measuring it's own traffic, did it on an 'estimated' basis.

That is counter intuitive, and not not the sort of engineering we've seen from Apple ever before...

ATT's own usage monitors tell you it is only an estimate.  As for the iPhone, we really don't know?  All I said is that I have not seen anyone prove that it is or is not accurate.  Therefore I do not assume it is dead on accurate.  It should be but we don't know.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 7 of 35 (48,012 Views)

youngjm wrote:

ATT's own usage monitors tell you it is only an estimate.  As for the iPhone, we really don't know?  All I said is that I have not seen anyone prove that it is or is not accurate.  Therefore I do not assume it is dead on accurate.  It should be but we don't know.  

Yes, we all know that AT&T fudges their monitoring in the interests of profits.  We've seen plenty of reporting with fairly decent testing, showing that AT&T is typically off by at least +20% actual usage.  In none of the reporting has anyone found that AT&T ever UNDER esitmated usage in their billing.

I am willing to trust that Apple knows how to accurately count bits on a device they've designed and built and have no interest in the amount of data sent/received other than for troubleshooting purposes.

AT&T, most reasonable people are not so willing to trust without being able to verify...

This is the crux of quite a few other issues as you know.  If AT&T could be relied upon to provide a 'reasonably' accurate usage report issues with tiered billing would be significantly less.

Message 8 of 35 (48,006 Views)
Contributor

I also reset my iPhone statistics at the beginning of the bill cycle.  Now, 20 days into the cycle, my iPhone reports 12.5 MB total sent and received.  ATT reports 23.55 MB, a 94% overestimate.  I guess what really matters is the difference in counters at the end of the cycle.  Hopefully I can remember to check this in 10 days.

Message 9 of 35 (47,844 Views)
ACE - Professor

campbrd wrote:

I also reset my iPhone statistics at the beginning of the bill cycle.  Now, 20 days into the cycle, my iPhone reports 12.5 MB total sent and received.  ATT reports 23.55 MB, a 94% overestimate.  I guess what really matters is the difference in counters at the end of the cycle.  Hopefully I can remember to check this in 10 days.

Depending on when you reset yours and how long (up to 72 hours) the reporting was delayed on the AT&T side, 11MB difference isn't that much of a divergence. I would expect that the two numbers would be fairly close (within 20MB)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 35 (47,827 Views)
Contributor

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I have been resetting my iPhone cellular data usage counter monthly and have had AT&T estimating 3-6 TIMES the data usage on my bill! I have been VERY careful with how I use data and I have done everything possible to my phone (reset phone, quit background apps, use WiFi almost exclusively, location manager off, don't check e-mail remotely, etc..) I'm trying to live off of the 200 MB plan because I'm really not a big data user. Actually my data is turned OFF most of the time and I use cellular data in only very controlled ways. For instance, currently I'm showing only 2 MB usage for the month (probably correct since data has been mostly off) but today I had to use the maps app to find an address downtown. All I did was look up an address on maps and check my stocks then quit the maps app... Tonight AT&T showed 79MB usage for the day. I have complained to the FCC and AT&T says that what they report is what I use! I have been and iPhone user since day one when they first came out and this problem started when I upgraded to iOS 5. It happened on my 3GS and now my 4S. I'm hoping that when iOS 5.1 comes out it stops or at least I can turn off the 3G data network and just use the slower EDGE network if the data counter is more accurate. I have the exact same problem on my wifes iPhone. I don't know what else to do other than wait for the problem to be fixed or just dump AT&T when my contract has expired.

Message 11 of 35 (47,447 Views)
ACE - Professor

ITSELE wrote:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I have been resetting my iPhone cellular data usage counter monthly and have had AT&T estimating 3-6 TIMES the data usage on my bill! I have been VERY careful with how I use data and I have done everything possible to my phone (reset phone, quit background apps, use WiFi almost exclusively, location manager off, don't check e-mail remotely, etc..) I'm trying to live off of the 200 MB plan because I'm really not a big data user. Actually my data is turned OFF most of the time and I use cellular data in only very controlled ways. For instance, currently I'm showing only 2 MB usage for the month (probably correct since data has been mostly off) but today I had to use the maps app to find an address downtown. All I did was look up an address on maps and check my stocks then quit the maps app... Tonight AT&T showed 79MB usage for the day. I have complained to the FCC and AT&T says that what they report is what I use! I have been and iPhone user since day one when they first came out and this problem started when I upgraded to iOS 5. It happened on my 3GS and now my 4S. I'm hoping that when iOS 5.1 comes out it stops or at least I can turn off the 3G data network and just use the slower EDGE network if the data counter is more accurate. I have the exact same problem on my wifes iPhone. I don't know what else to do other than wait for the problem to be fixed or just dump AT&T when my contract has expired.

I've not seen a wild divergence in my usage vs what is reported, but yours is not the only report. My only guess is that it's Apple's own iOS that is underreporting usage - the assumption here that it's AT&T that's over reporting has at least a 50/50 chance of being wrong.

Generally, people who do report issues with usage reporting are on the 200MB plans. Given I am not, and usage on all three of the devices I pay for is in the 400MB-1GB range every month, I cannot say either way if this is an issue with the 200MB plan reporting or not.

At any rate, my own reported usage on three devices for nearly 2 years now has been consistent and plausable.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 35 (47,443 Views)
Contributor

I've got the same issue where the discrepency between what data usage is logged by the phone and what AT&T has calculated. I haven't reset my counter but it has been recording data usage since last October, which is a pretty good sample size. My phone has recorded 7600 MB down and 550 MB for a total of 8150 MB. According to AT&T, I've used 9872 MB, which is calculated from my previous bill totals and the "estimated" amount in their iPhone app. That is a difference of over 21%. This is a significant and meaningful overcharge considering AT&T has throttled my phone at 2GB for the past two months.  20% difference is a lot -- 400MB of 2GB. That is definitely more than a rounding error. Oddly, the past two months have been the highest by far, an increase over my mean usage by more than 25%. Nothing in my phone or app usage has changed that would increase my data by any significant amount.

It's funny how this seems to only work one way, in AT&T's favor. As has been stated before, I think the phone's calculation is likely more accurate than anything that is counted by the network. I don't think anyone has come up with a reasonable explanation as to why this is happening.

Message 13 of 35 (47,415 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

There was an aritcle published in early 2011 where independant testing showed that AT&T regularly over estimated data usage by 20% on average.

At no point in any of the testing did AT&T EVER under estimate usage.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Face it, given the opportunity to steal from you due to little to no oversite from any legal authority, AT&T probably will.

Message 14 of 35 (47,415 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

However the method that should be used in accurately and correctly measuring data usage, what's clear is that there is a discrepancy in the reporting of data usage (and I'm not talking about a difference of a dozen MBs or so--there was another post talking about where the discrepancy was much greater than that, with the higher figures leaning towards AT&T) for which apparently no one has yet to come up with any plausible explanation other than to say that they're not having the issue--which quite frankly doesn't absolutely mean that there's no issue at all to discuss...only that whatever issue the person is reporting on hasn't happened to those folks who are self-reporting that they've not had it happen to them.

Message 15 of 35 (47,381 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.