Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 12, 2013
11:19:35 AM
View profile
iPhone 7.0.3 upgrade killed my battery. What to do???

I recently did the 7.0.3 update on my phone and now my battery is dead within 5 hours.  If I stare long enough I can watch the life drain slowly away. Not that I do that, just being dramatic Smiley Happy

I have turned off everything, 3G, bluetooth, push notifications, anything that uses any extra juice. I basically have a phone that doesn't do anything now and the battery life still stinks. Last night I did a reset through iTunes and it solved nothing.

Any suggestions? I have a 3S so maybe it's just too old to handle the new updates? I am not very technically savvy so please dumb down your suggestions. Thanks!

I recently did the 7.0.3 update on my phone and now my battery is dead within 5 hours.  If I stare long enough I can watch the life drain slowly away. Not that I do that, just being dramatic Smiley Happy

I have turned off everything, 3G, bluetooth, push notifications, anything that uses any extra juice. I basically have a phone that doesn't do anything now and the battery life still stinks. Last night I did a reset through iTunes and it solved nothing.

Any suggestions? I have a 3S so maybe it's just too old to handle the new updates? I am not very technically savvy so please dumb down your suggestions. Thanks!

iPhone 7.0.3 upgrade killed my battery. What to do???

10 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 12:09:19 PM
(0)
Scholar
You have a 3GS? I wasn't aware the ios 7 update was available for the 3GS. I thought it was only supposed to roll out to the iPhone 4s and above. If not, then that's probably the problem. It's not equipped to handle the update.
You have a 3GS? I wasn't aware the ios 7 update was available for the 3GS. I thought it was only supposed to roll out to the iPhone 4s and above. If not, then that's probably the problem. It's not equipped to handle the update.

Re: iPhone 7.0.3 upgrade killed my battery. What to do???

2 of 11 (694 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 2:23:08 PM
(0)
Expert

rarebeauty wrote:

The 3GS does not support IOS 7, it should not have even installed

rarebeauty wrote:

The 3GS does not support IOS 7, it should not have even installed

3 of 11 (670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 2:41:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Edited by MR_SMiT on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:23:53 PM

iOS 7.0.3 suppose to be for iPhone 4 and above. How did you "really" install iOS to 3GS?Smiley Wink

iOS 7.0.3 suppose to be for iPhone 4 and above. How did you "really" install iOS to 3GS?Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 11 (665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 6:18:53 AM
(0)
Master
Sounds like you hacked the update of the ios. The results are yours to accept! There are reasons why Apple does not provide ios updates after some point in time for a phone.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Sounds like you hacked the update of the ios. The results are yours to accept! There are reasons why Apple does not provide ios updates after some point in time for a phone.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 11 (625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 10:58:17 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by jane697 on Nov 13, 2013 at 11:01:25 AM

youngjm wrote:

Let's just wait for OP to reply back before people make any more assumptions as to what may have occurred here; OP indicated that he/she was not technically savvy, so unless you know of other people who are not technically savvy yet apparently have the skillset to hack a non-supported iPhone hardware to allow iOS 7.0.3 to be installed on it...I'd say let's give this person the benefit of the doubt.  For all we know, the phone model specified in OP's initial post might have been a typo...especially given that there is no iPhone "3S" model that I'm aware of.

youngjm wrote:

Let's just wait for OP to reply back before people make any more assumptions as to what may have occurred here; OP indicated that he/she was not technically savvy, so unless you know of other people who are not technically savvy yet apparently have the skillset to hack a non-supported iPhone hardware to allow iOS 7.0.3 to be installed on it...I'd say let's give this person the benefit of the doubt.  For all we know, the phone model specified in OP's initial post might have been a typo...especially given that there is no iPhone "3S" model that I'm aware of.

[ Edited ]
6 of 11 (594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 3:46:55 PM
(0)
Contributor
Oh jeez, now I really feel stupid, LOL! I believe I have a 4S per the husband. Thanks for all of the replies thus far. Can we start over? Thank you Jane697 Smiley Happy
Oh jeez, now I really feel stupid, LOL! I believe I have a 4S per the husband. Thanks for all of the replies thus far. Can we start over? Thank you Jane697 Smiley Happy

7 of 11 (570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 3:54:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

Now I feel really stupid. Apparently I have a 4S per the husband. Promise no hacking here, truly I would not know where to begin, lol! Can we start over? I was prompted to do the update when I saw the little #1 on my settings and I went from there. Then no battery. Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the misinformation Smiley Sad

Now I feel really stupid. Apparently I have a 4S per the husband. Promise no hacking here, truly I would not know where to begin, lol! Can we start over? I was prompted to do the update when I saw the little #1 on my settings and I went from there. Then no battery. Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the misinformation Smiley Sad

8 of 11 (570 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 4:44:13 PM
(0)
Guru

I had the same problem with my 4s when I updated to iOS7. There are a few things you can do that might help. Go here:   http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/stop-your-battery-from-draining-after-updating-ios-7-ipad-iphone-i...

I really liked the new OS but it seemed the battery in my 4s just couldn't really handle the new power so I upgraded to the 5s. Love all the new features and the battery is awesome!

RoadApple5 wrote:

I had the same problem with my 4s when I updated to iOS7. There are a few things you can do that might help. Go here:   http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/stop-your-battery-from-draining-after-updating-ios-7-ipad-iphone-ipod-touch-0148680/

I really liked the new OS but it seemed the battery in my 4s just couldn't really handle the new power so I upgraded to the 5s. Love all the new features and the battery is awesome!

RoadApple5 wrote:

9 of 11 (556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 5:42:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Don't feel bad, there are so many different phone models out there that it is easy to get them mixed up at times.  Even as a tech-geek, I sometimes have trouble keeping them all straight. 

Let me ask you a couple questions.  Do you know if the update was done by connecting to a computer using iTunes, or if it was done "OTA" (Over The Air using the Software Update option in Settings -> General on the iPhone itself)?  If the update was done OTA, you might consider connecting to a computer and doing a full backup, as well as making sure that you have transferred all yout purchases and pictures to your computer.  Once you have done that, perform a "restore" using the computer to re-load the OS via a new download from Apple (This will require a download of just over 1GB, so it may take a while to download).  I have found (and reported to Apple several times) that performing software updates OTA seems to corrupt something in the network configuration and it will cause the iPhone to drain the battery 1-2% every 5 minutes or so with no actuve use of the iPhone.  Generally performing the restore in iTunes will resolve this becuse it forces a full re-load of the iOS on the device.

This may not be what has happened to you, but it might be a good starting point, because the restore process will also correct several other small things that could be contributing to the battery drain.  Let me know if this doesn't help you.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Don't feel bad, there are so many different phone models out there that it is easy to get them mixed up at times.  Even as a tech-geek, I sometimes have trouble keeping them all straight. 

Let me ask you a couple questions.  Do you know if the update was done by connecting to a computer using iTunes, or if it was done "OTA" (Over The Air using the Software Update option in Settings -> General on the iPhone itself)?  If the update was done OTA, you might consider connecting to a computer and doing a full backup, as well as making sure that you have transferred all yout purchases and pictures to your computer.  Once you have done that, perform a "restore" using the computer to re-load the OS via a new download from Apple (This will require a download of just over 1GB, so it may take a while to download).  I have found (and reported to Apple several times) that performing software updates OTA seems to corrupt something in the network configuration and it will cause the iPhone to drain the battery 1-2% every 5 minutes or so with no actuve use of the iPhone.  Generally performing the restore in iTunes will resolve this becuse it forces a full re-load of the iOS on the device.

This may not be what has happened to you, but it might be a good starting point, because the restore process will also correct several other small things that could be contributing to the battery drain.  Let me know if this doesn't help you.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 11 (546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 5:26:46 AM
(0)
Master
I would also go into your settings>general>accessibility and turn on reduce motion. This will disable the background motion as well as the graphics when you go into and out of folders and programs. This feature spears to track your phones movement which can drain your battery. I would also go into your privacy settings and location services and turn off things like location based iAds, track your frequent locations, and others that appear to you to not add value to your use of the iPhone.

I would also go into your settings>general>accessibility and turn on reduce motion. This will disable the background motion as well as the graphics when you go into and out of folders and programs. This feature spears to track your phones movement which can drain your battery. I would also go into your privacy settings and location services and turn off things like location based iAds, track your frequent locations, and others that appear to you to not add value to your use of the iPhone.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

11 of 11 (519 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments