Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 14, 2013
5:47:50 AM
iPhone 5s reception is worse than 4s

Hello,

I just got an iPhone 5s, and wherever I go it always has one less bar of reception than my wife's 4s.  Is this a known issue?  If anyone else here has experienced this, please speak up... I'm not sure if I should take the phone back or not.

Thanks

Hello,

I just got an iPhone 5s, and wherever I go it always has one less bar of reception than my wife's 4s.  Is this a known issue?  If anyone else here has experienced this, please speak up... I'm not sure if I should take the phone back or not.

Thanks

iPhone 5s reception is worse than 4s

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 8:13:17 AM
(0)
Master

I would have Apple check it out if you are concerned. You could have an issue that they may be able to detect.

The real questions are not necessarily what the bars say but how does the phone sound?  Are you dropping calls more than you did on the 4S?  Are you able to still make and receive calls in the same locations?  The bars that are displayed are done so based on programing algorithms and may not always be comparable/calibrated differently between different phones.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

I would have Apple check it out if you are concerned. You could have an issue that they may be able to detect.

The real questions are not necessarily what the bars say but how does the phone sound?  Are you dropping calls more than you did on the 4S?  Are you able to still make and receive calls in the same locations?  The bars that are displayed are done so based on programing algorithms and may not always be comparable/calibrated differently between different phones.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: iPhone 5s reception is worse than 4s

2 of 6 (855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 8:16:49 AM
(0)
Employee

As silly as it may sound, it could actually be the material surrounding the phone... especially if you have a case on it.  I've noticed that there are cases out there that end up blocking reception...  Sure, your phone is safe, but you can't use it! Smiley Tongue

As silly as it may sound, it could actually be the material surrounding the phone... especially if you have a case on it.  I've noticed that there are cases out there that end up blocking reception...  Sure, your phone is safe, but you can't use it! Smiley Tongue

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 6 (852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 8:52:32 AM
(0)
Tutor
Here's something interesting… I went to settings and turned off LTE and instantly gained another bar of signal. When I turn LTE back on the signal drops one bar. What do you guys make of that?
Here's something interesting… I went to settings and turned off LTE and instantly gained another bar of signal. When I turn LTE back on the signal drops one bar. What do you guys make of that?

4 of 6 (844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 9:26:16 AM
(0)
Master

hatrabbit wrote:

The 4S does not have LTE so what you see is the same type of signal on one iPhone being compared to the signal on another.  Since LTE is in essence a new network, it may not have the same signal strength in all areas.  I am sure you can find places that LTE will have the stronger signal.  

Again the questions that matter relates to the quality of your calls.  As long as your calls work, what signal strength you have should not matter.

hatrabbit wrote:

The 4S does not have LTE so what you see is the same type of signal on one iPhone being compared to the signal on another.  Since LTE is in essence a new network, it may not have the same signal strength in all areas.  I am sure you can find places that LTE will have the stronger signal.  

Again the questions that matter relates to the quality of your calls.  As long as your calls work, what signal strength you have should not matter.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 6 (835 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 10:10:25 AM
(0)
Employee

hatrabbit wrote:

LTE networks are still under construction in many places and coverage is not available all over the country yet, so its signal is most likely weaker than that of the 4G.

hatrabbit wrote:

LTE networks are still under construction in many places and coverage is not available all over the country yet, so its signal is most likely weaker than that of the 4G.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 6 (829 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments