Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 21, 2013
2:54:16 PM
View profile
iPhone 5s Order Shows Mysterious $21.00 Monthly Fee.
Edited by gbshuler1 on Sep 21, 2013 at 5:36:14 PM

Friday I ordered two iPhone 5s models from AT&T and generated two corresponding orders.

I soon received a pair of emails from AT&T (Premier@premier.wireless.att-mail.com) thanking me for the order.  The emails invited me to visit the Order Status Page (link).

The link took me to an AT&T web page with my iPhone 5s order information and two columns (shown): "One Time Charge" and "Monthly Charge"

Question:  Does anyone know what the $21.00 monthly fee is?  It can't be NEXT since iPhone 5s is not supported in that program (right?)

I called AT&T support and they could not find this (their status report) anywhere in their system.

Both orders show "$21.00 Monthly Fee"  - I hope I don't see $42.00 per month locked in after activation..

Thanks

Brad

fine print for Column 2:

** Total monthly charges do not include applicable taxes, State and Federal Universal Service charges, Regulatory Cost Recovery Fees, and gross receipt surcharges. Visit http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/additionalcharges/ to view estimates of these discretionary charges for your area. Total charges, including final discretionary charges, will be included in your monthly bill. Additional corporate discounts may apply and appear on your monthly bill as appropriate. If you already have AT&T wireless service and are keeping your existing voice or data plan, feature, mobile application, and/or wireless access option, then the monthly fees you already pay is not reflected in the shopping cart.

Friday I ordered two iPhone 5s models from AT&T and generated two corresponding orders.

I soon received a pair of emails from AT&T (Premier@premier.wireless.att-mail.com) thanking me for the order.  The emails invited me to visit the Order Status Page (link).

The link took me to an AT&T web page with my iPhone 5s order information and two columns (shown): "One Time Charge" and "Monthly Charge"

Question:  Does anyone know what the $21.00 monthly fee is?  It can't be NEXT since iPhone 5s is not supported in that program (right?)

I called AT&T support and they could not find this (their status report) anywhere in their system.

Both orders show "$21.00 Monthly Fee"  - I hope I don't see $42.00 per month locked in after activation..

Thanks

Brad

fine print for Column 2:

** Total monthly charges do not include applicable taxes, State and Federal Universal Service charges, Regulatory Cost Recovery Fees, and gross receipt surcharges. Visit http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/additionalcharges/ to view estimates of these discretionary charges for your area. Total charges, including final discretionary charges, will be included in your monthly bill. Additional corporate discounts may apply and appear on your monthly bill as appropriate. If you already have AT&T wireless service and are keeping your existing voice or data plan, feature, mobile application, and/or wireless access option, then the monthly fees you already pay is not reflected in the shopping cart.

iPhone 5s Order Shows Mysterious $21.00 Monthly Fee.

[ Edited ]
9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 1:35:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I never heard that the iPhone 5S was ineligible for the Next program.  It shows that the iPhone 5S can be purchased via Next on AT&T's website.  The device pricing is different from what you show in your screenshot, though.

I never heard that the iPhone 5S was ineligible for the Next program.  It shows that the iPhone 5S can be purchased via Next on AT&T's website.  The device pricing is different from what you show in your screenshot, though.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 5s Order Shows Mysterious $21.00 Monthly Fee.

2 of 10 (1,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 3:11:20 PM
(0)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

36.00 dollar difference - activation fee?

21stNow wrote:

36.00 dollar difference - activation fee?

3 of 10 (1,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 8:14:44 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by gbshuler1 on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:22:39 PM

You are correct about the iPhone being eligible for the AT&T Next program.  If I read this correctly, I could obtain an iPhone 5s 64GB for zero out of pocket if I agreed to pay $37 per month for 20 months.  So I would expect my order to say $37/month (not $21).  I will report back after I call to activate.

iPhone 5c/5s Press Release

You are correct about the iPhone being eligible for the AT&T Next program.  If I read this correctly, I could obtain an iPhone 5s 64GB for zero out of pocket if I agreed to pay $37 per month for 20 months.  So I would expect my order to say $37/month (not $21).  I will report back after I call to activate.

iPhone 5c/5s Press Release

[ Edited ]
4 of 10 (1,234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 6:32:06 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by gbshuler1 on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:17:55 PM

Mystery solved (I think).  Last year AT&T introduced a new AT&T Enhanced Push-to-Talk Price Plan.

I think this is like the old Nextel walkie-talkie feature where you push a button on your phone and a paired phone beeps for an immediate dialog.

The push-to-talk plan is normally $30/month.  Since my lovely wife works for a large company, we get a 30% discount on AT&T wireless services.   $30 with $9 discount off is $21 per month. There you go.

I will ask customer service to confirm soon.   The math works perfectly.  Push to talk with my wife.  That's a good one.  "beep!"  "Did you put the garbage out?"..

Mystery solved (I think).  Last year AT&T introduced a new AT&T Enhanced Push-to-Talk Price Plan.

I think this is like the old Nextel walkie-talkie feature where you push a button on your phone and a paired phone beeps for an immediate dialog.

The push-to-talk plan is normally $30/month.  Since my lovely wife works for a large company, we get a 30% discount on AT&T wireless services.   $30 with $9 discount off is $21 per month. There you go.

I will ask customer service to confirm soon.   The math works perfectly.  Push to talk with my wife.  That's a good one.  "beep!"  "Did you put the garbage out?"..

[ Edited ]
5 of 10 (1,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 8:46:25 PM
(0)
Teacher

I figured it out.  What a bother.  The math was correct.  The "$21.00 per month" charge is the standard $30 iPhone data charge after applying a 30% discount.

After much effort, I got through to a great AT&T support person.  We signed up our two iPhone 5s models for the AT&T Mobile Share with Unlimited Talk & Text (6GB).  Now both my wife and I can use our iPhones for hot spot WiFi and much more.  Gave up the (grand fathered) Unlimited plan -- but gained twice the LTE speed data and got hot spot for the same monthly cost.

The support person mentioned that a customer had called earlier with a $560 per month bill.  By signing up for a "share" plan the guy saved $300 per month.  Amazing.  Guy had no idea.

I figured it out.  What a bother.  The math was correct.  The "$21.00 per month" charge is the standard $30 iPhone data charge after applying a 30% discount.

After much effort, I got through to a great AT&T support person.  We signed up our two iPhone 5s models for the AT&T Mobile Share with Unlimited Talk & Text (6GB).  Now both my wife and I can use our iPhones for hot spot WiFi and much more.  Gave up the (grand fathered) Unlimited plan -- but gained twice the LTE speed data and got hot spot for the same monthly cost.

The support person mentioned that a customer had called earlier with a $560 per month bill.  By signing up for a "share" plan the guy saved $300 per month.  Amazing.  Guy had no idea.

6 of 10 (1,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 7:33:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I see that I totally missed the second line on that screenshot.

By the way, unlimited data plans had 5GB of full-speed data for LTE devices, so you gained 1GB to share on your Mobile Share plan.

I see that I totally missed the second line on that screenshot.

By the way, unlimited data plans had 5GB of full-speed data for LTE devices, so you gained 1GB to share on your Mobile Share plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 10 (1,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 8:26:26 AM
(0)
Teacher

The grandfathered Unlimited plan, shared or not, had 3GB of "high speed" (i.e. 4G/LTE) per month.  After the 3GB is reached, a text message is sent (see above).  For the remainder of the billing cycle, the plan drops down to Edge (or much slower speed) with unlimited data.

The grandfathered Unlimited plan, shared or not, had 3GB of "high speed" (i.e. 4G/LTE) per month.  After the 3GB is reached, a text message is sent (see above).  For the remainder of the billing cycle, the plan drops down to Edge (or much slower speed) with unlimited data.

8 of 10 (1,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 9:23:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The throttle point for unlimited data is 3GB for HSPA+ data and 5GB for LTE data, unless something changed recently that I haven't seen.

The throttle point for unlimited data is 3GB for HSPA+ data and 5GB for LTE data, unless something changed recently that I haven't seen.

9 of 10 (990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 9:29:55 AM
(0)
Expert

gbshuler1 wrote:

umm no, the discontinued unlimited plan is throttled at 3GB for 3G and 5GB for LTE

gbshuler1 wrote:

umm no, the discontinued unlimited plan is throttled at 3GB for 3G and 5GB for LTE

10 of 10 (986 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments