iPhone 5S activation

Contributor

iPhone 5S activation

Hi,
I have bought an iPhone 5S on the net. I discovered it is locked with at&t. Can I buy an at&t nano sim and use it to activate the device? Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 8 (900 Views)
Employee

Re: iPhone 5S activation

Hi tant0c1b0,

You can get a SIM Card free of charge with service from any AT&T Comapny retail store when you activate service.

To activate the iPhone you will need to have an active SIM Card from the carrier to get though Apple's activation process on the device. You can set up a GoPhone plan for as low as $10.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 8 (870 Views)
ACE - Master

logo412 wrote:

Hi tant0c1b0,

You can get a SIM Card free of charge with service from any AT&T Comapny retail store when you activate service.

To activate the iPhone you will need to have an active SIM Card from the carrier to get though Apple's activation process on the device. You can set up a GoPhone plan for as low as $10.

Actually, the sim does not have to be active in order to get past Apple's activation process. I've used deactivated sim's to complete Apple activation in the past.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8 (843 Views)
Expert

tant0c1b0 wrote:
Hi,
I have bought an iPhone 5S on the net. I discovered it is locked with at&t. Can I buy an at&t nano sim and use it to activate the device? Thanks in advance.

what carrier do you plan on using the phone with? The phone will only work on the ATT network and they will only unlock it for a active att customer or a previous customer

Message 4 of 8 (821 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good morning,

Hi,
I have bought an iPhone 5S on the net. I discovered it is locked with at&t and activated on the account of the former owner can not be changed.

I need your help because as my iphone 5S that they sold me does not work, so I went into a shop applestore who wanted to change my phone because they found that the battery was dead but the problem is that they believe that this is a stolen phone because the phone is deleted or deactivated on behalf of the owner his.

i can't contact the previous owner of this iphone 5S they sold me to him he can even remove his account iphone and disable the for it is more localized , because apple told me that a phone activated on the account of the former owner can not be changed.

iphone 5S 64GB white silver

serial Number : [edited for privacy]

IMEI : [edited for privacy]

Message 5 of 8 (688 Views)
Expert

superolivier wrote:

Good morning,

Hi,
I have bought an iPhone 5S on the net. I discovered it is locked with at&t and activated on the account of the former owner can not be changed.

I need your help because as my iphone 5S that they sold me does not work, so I went into a shop applestore who wanted to change my phone because they found that the battery was dead but the problem is that they believe that this is a stolen phone because the phone is deleted or deactivated on behalf of the owner his.

i can't contact the previous owner of this iphone 5S they sold me to him he can even remove his account iphone and disable the for it is more localized , because apple told me that a phone activated on the account of the former owner can not be changed.

iphone 5S 64GB white silver

serial Number :

IMEI :

First don't post imei and serial numbers on a public board, cloners love that. Second ATT policy for a unlock of a device is that you have to be a current or previous att customer, if you do not meet either of these qualifications your phone will not be unlocked. If the phone is black listed to att by the imei number nothing can be done

Message 6 of 8 (677 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

The phone cannot be unlocked because it is still under contract. Once no longer under contract, can only be unlocked by AT&T account the phone was used on.
It can be used on any other AT&T account, unless it was reported lost or stolen.
It cannot be unlocked to use on other providers.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 8 (675 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

tant0c1b0 wrote:
Hi,

If you plan to be a customer of AT&T, then you should be able to go into an AT&T store and get a SIM for it.  However, it will still be locked to AT&T.  Since you bought it on the net, I assume that you are not the original owner.  Only the original owner can request to have it unlocked.

Message 8 of 8 (665 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.