iPhone 5 sending but not receiving texts

iPhone 5 sending but not receiving texts

I've had the iPhone 5 for months now with no problems, but today it stopped receiving texts.  I was texting my dad and suddenly the messages changed from iMessage to SMS automatically, and his texts stopped coming in.  I was working on my iPad at the same time, which is linked to my phone, and the messages did show up there.  I sent him a few test texts to see if they were going through, and they were, but I could only see his responses on my iPad and not phone.  Just before this happened my phone was at around 1-2% battery, if that means anything.  I tried resetting the network as a troubleshoot guide suggested, but that didn't work.  Any idea what the problem is? 

Message 1 of 17 (51,310 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone 5 sending but not receiving texts

I would try again with a fully charged battery.

Message 2 of 17 (51,169 Views)

I've had it charging for a few hours now but still no luck.

Message 3 of 17 (51,158 Views)

Here's an update on the situation.  I'm receiving some texts, but only from certain people and seemingly at random.  From other people I'm not getting anything.  And none of the texts that I am getting from some of these random people are coming through as iMessages; only SMS.

Message 4 of 17 (51,147 Views)
Master

Go into settings and turn messages off then on again if this does not work you may have to sign out then re-sign back in with your Apple ID and password if that fails head to the Apple Store.

Message 5 of 17 (51,092 Views)

By resetting the network and switching the messages on and off a couple of times I seem to have fixed it, but since then I've had the problem come back again a couple of times.  I don't want to keep having to go through this same routine every other day when my phone feels like not working.  Has anyone else experienced this before?

Message 6 of 17 (51,048 Views)
Contributor

Re: iPhone 5 sending but not receiving texts or receiving texts

I've had issues with texts not going thru on Sunday and now yesterday. Monday,  I wasn't receiving texts. I got my I phone 5 in May and haven't had any issues until the iso 7.0.2 update? My battery is fully charged also

Message 7 of 17 (49,765 Views)
ACE - Master

I believe the Sunday/Monday issue was an Apple issue, but I'm not positive.  Starting sometime Saturday night or Sunday morning all text messages (iMessages to be more precise) displayed on my iPhone and I sent replies as I normally would.  The only thing I didn't realize at the time was that my replies were failing to send.  They were all queueing up on my iPhone (and not falling back to SMS like they should have).  On her end, she finally sent me a message indicating that she was no longer getting the "Delivered" and "Read" statuses, I checked my iPhone and saw I wasn't getting those either, and that's when I saw I had about a dozen queued messages in a "Sending" state.  I just restarted my iPHone (hold home and wake/sleep buttons until the phone reboots) and after that, the Messages app showed the error on sending the messages.  I manually re-triggered the last few, and everything has been working properly since.  I was sending & receiving emails, also making & receiving phone calls,  only problems with iMessages...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 17 (49,672 Views)
Contributor

I am having the exact same issues as of February 2014 on my new 5c. Obviously ATT has not fixed  this significant bug. Suddenly not getting some texts from some people - it seems random.

Message 9 of 17 (40,498 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

fitzpatrick3636 wrote:

I am having the exact same issues as of February 2014 on my new 5c. Obviously ATT has not fixed  this significant bug. Suddenly not getting some texts from some people - it seems random.

Nothing for att to fix - imessage is a Apple developed application running off Apples server farm, the app determins if it should be sent through the imessage server or forwarded it with their sms server

Message 10 of 17 (40,482 Views)
Highlighted
Master

[ Edited ]

fitzpatrick3636 wrote:

Try this: un-register your device from iMessage with Apple: Settings>iMessage>Off.

Turn off your iPhone and wait for some time (5 minutes???)

Turn on your iPhone but again wait for some time. (Say 30 minutes for so.)

Go back and renable iMessage Settings>Messages>iMessage>On  and enable Send as SMS>On.  

This will hopefully clear your stuff with Apple then re-register it with them.....

If that fails, call Apple Support http://www.apple.com/support/contact/ and ask them to check into it on their end.  Sometimes things get "stuck"....

Contact Apple Support

Need service or support? Start your request online and we’ll find you a solution.

More ways to get help:

Good Luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 11 of 17 (40,440 Views)
Contributor

I am having the same issue with my new IPhone 5S.  I have two 5S one on ATT (personal Use) and a 5S on Verizon (Work).  I had been having a problem with my 5S ATT for the last week with not getting all the transmitted text messages from others.  I decided to just shut off IMessage - sorry ATT but I have unlimited SMS so why not use it.  I am still having the issue.  I tested my work 5S and did not get the messages (when sent from Imessage) nor a friend who has a 5S.  Sometimes it said did not deliver, other times looked like it transmitted (no error message) but i did not recieve.

I called ATT last night.  They told me if I shut off Imessage I would not recieve any messages from people who used Imessage.  Is that true?  Why wont the message be trasmitted to me via SMS?  How does an Imessage get to people using DROID? 

Thanks for any help 

Message 12 of 17 (36,612 Views)
ACE - Master

EricZZZ wrote:

I called ATT last night.  They told me if I shut off Imessage I would not recieve any messages from people who used Imessage.  Is that true?  Why wont the message be trasmitted to me via SMS?  How does an Imessage get to people using DROID?  

This is partially true, but may not be entirely true.

If you sign-out of iMessage and turn it off, then your iPhone should notify the Apple iMessage servers that you are no longer connected, and iPhone users attempting to send you messages would either drop back to SMS (if sent using your phone number) or fail (if sent using your email address).  There may be a short period of time for the disconnect to propagate, and during that time, other people's iPhones may think you are still using iMessage and send you messages that get queued up for when you re-connect.

As for DROID users, they will never receive iMessages.  They may receive SMS messages when an iPhone user uses the Messages app to send them a text, but it will never get to them through the Apple iMessage servers/system.  Once again, this will apply to the phone number/email address limitiations mentioned above.  SMS will not send to an email address, it will only send to a phone number.

If you are getting poor data service (weak cellular data, or poor wifi) then if someone sends you a text through iMessage, it will be queued up on the Apple servers until they can communicate them to your iPhone.  I constantly have this happen when my iPad (on wifi) will get iMessages from my wife faster than my iPhone (on cellular data), sometimes by 10 minutes or more...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 17 (36,600 Views)
Employee

If you're only getting some of your messages, I'd reccomend this

Sent the word test to 151.

This will test your basic messaging service.

If it works, then the issue is likely with your imessaging.

Simply turn off your imessaging, and start sending your messages without it.

If it doesn't than the issue isn't with imessaging, but rather basic texting. That kind of issue needs for proper tech support, probably over the phone.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 17 (36,578 Views)
Expert

GeekBoy wrote:

EricZZZ wrote:

This is partially true, but may not be entirely true.

If you sign-out of iMessage and turn it off, then your iPhone should notify the Apple iMessage servers that you are no longer connected, and iPhone users attempting to send you messages would either drop back to SMS (if sent using your phone number) or fail (if sent using your email address).  There may be a short period of time for the disconnect to propagate, and during that time, other people's iPhones may think you are still using iMessage and send you messages that get queued up for when you re-connect.

As for DROID users, they will never receive iMessages.  They may receive SMS messages when an iPhone user uses the Messages app to send them a text, but it will never get to them through the Apple iMessage servers/system.  Once again, this will apply to the phone number/email address limitiations mentioned above.  SMS will not send to an email address, it will only send to a phone number.

If you are getting poor data service (weak cellular data, or poor wifi) then if someone sends you a text through iMessage, it will be queued up on the Apple servers until they can communicate them to your iPhone.  I constantly have this happen when my iPad (on wifi) will get iMessages from my wife faster than my iPhone (on cellular data), sometimes by 10 minutes or more...

One other caveat to this - if the person that is sending the Imessage has the option to "send as sms" turned off the message will never be sent

Message 15 of 17 (36,545 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support