Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 15, 2012
9:52:53 PM
View profile
iPhone 5 poor data reception and speeds

I currently have a new iPhone 5 64Gb. I previously had an iPhone 4s 32Gb, iPhone 4 32Gb, iPhone 3GS 32Gb & an iPhone 3G 16Gb. Needless to say, I know a bit how well the previous iPhones and it's different firmware revisions perform, both processing speed and data speed/reception.

My iPhone 4S had iOS 6 on it for about a week before my iPhone 5 was delivered. I didn't notice much of a difference from the 4S from iOS 5 to iOS 6 in terms of it's cell reception and data performance.

When I got the iPhone 5 I was very aggrivated that my reception and data performance was sgnificantly degraded. Frequently having issues with webpages, Pandora, Netflix and HBO Go. Just today, I was stuck sitting in my car waiting for a couple hours while my wife was in an interview. I decided to pass the time to watch a movie on HBO Go. The phone was showing 4 bars on AT&T's fake 4G (not LTE). It was pretty bad and I got a little irritated so I rebooted the phone a few times and it made no difference.

I decide to call 611 and the woman said that the iPhone 5 with iOS 6 has an issue with slow cellular data and reception that Apple knows about and is working on a fix. I said OK, and had her check my IMEI and my ICCID and re-authorize me on the towers anyway. After rebooting the phone I was greeted with 5 bars of LTE (I had LTE turned on the entire time, but it's been very flakey in my area).

Data was much better on LTE however anywhere it would revert back to the fake 4G video essentially died. I was a little upset so I decided to hit up the internet to look up this iPhone 5/iOS 6 data issue. All I was able to find was an issue of the phone blowing out cell data usage even when on WiFi.

Could the woman have been mistaken? Or worse yet, lying?

Is their an issue with the iPhone 5 data issue? My wifes 4S consistantly has better reception than my 5.

Please Advise.

Cheers,

Mike

I currently have a new iPhone 5 64Gb. I previously had an iPhone 4s 32Gb, iPhone 4 32Gb, iPhone 3GS 32Gb & an iPhone 3G 16Gb. Needless to say, I know a bit how well the previous iPhones and it's different firmware revisions perform, both processing speed and data speed/reception.

My iPhone 4S had iOS 6 on it for about a week before my iPhone 5 was delivered. I didn't notice much of a difference from the 4S from iOS 5 to iOS 6 in terms of it's cell reception and data performance.

When I got the iPhone 5 I was very aggrivated that my reception and data performance was sgnificantly degraded. Frequently having issues with webpages, Pandora, Netflix and HBO Go. Just today, I was stuck sitting in my car waiting for a couple hours while my wife was in an interview. I decided to pass the time to watch a movie on HBO Go. The phone was showing 4 bars on AT&T's fake 4G (not LTE). It was pretty bad and I got a little irritated so I rebooted the phone a few times and it made no difference.

I decide to call 611 and the woman said that the iPhone 5 with iOS 6 has an issue with slow cellular data and reception that Apple knows about and is working on a fix. I said OK, and had her check my IMEI and my ICCID and re-authorize me on the towers anyway. After rebooting the phone I was greeted with 5 bars of LTE (I had LTE turned on the entire time, but it's been very flakey in my area).

Data was much better on LTE however anywhere it would revert back to the fake 4G video essentially died. I was a little upset so I decided to hit up the internet to look up this iPhone 5/iOS 6 data issue. All I was able to find was an issue of the phone blowing out cell data usage even when on WiFi.

Could the woman have been mistaken? Or worse yet, lying?

Is their an issue with the iPhone 5 data issue? My wifes 4S consistantly has better reception than my 5.

Please Advise.

Cheers,

Mike

iPhone 5 poor data reception and speeds

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

Re: iPhone 5 poor data reception and speeds

2 of 9 (17,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2012 6:34:59 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by nlk10010 on Oct 16, 2012 at 6:36:30 AM

It might help if you could tell us where you are located.

I've read stories on many boards about similar issues on Verizon LTE in specific areas (e.g. New England, New York) but AT&T was not supposed to suffer from the same problems.

BTW, I wouldn't put it past many CSRs to tell you anything to get you off the phone. "(Insert someone) know about it and are working on a fix" is probably right up there on the list of AT&T (and, to be fair, most any other cell company) excuses to end a conversation.

It might help if you could tell us where you are located.

I've read stories on many boards about similar issues on Verizon LTE in specific areas (e.g. New England, New York) but AT&T was not supposed to suffer from the same problems.

BTW, I wouldn't put it past many CSRs to tell you anything to get you off the phone. "(Insert someone) know about it and are working on a fix" is probably right up there on the list of AT&T (and, to be fair, most any other cell company) excuses to end a conversation.

[ Edited ]
3 of 9 (17,860 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2012 7:54:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

I thought the location would be displayed, I'm new here.

I'm in the Philadelphia metropolitan area which means anywhere from Reading to Levittown and Allentown to the Philadelphia Airport. I live near Phoenixville, PA. However, I was in Bensalem, PA when I was having the problem where I called 611.

Also, the LTE is working fine, it's just spotty where I pick it up because it hasn't made it's way northwest yet and I spend a majority of my time north of the city. It just doesn't "hold on" to LTE. It can go from 3-4 bars of LTE and just switch to 3-4 bars of fake 4G (HSPA+) without moving.

HSPA+ is the problem. The speed and the latency is absolute trash.

I'd expect Verizon CSR's to lie because Verizon's customer support is terrible. However, I'd expect more from AT&T. I've had consistently better customer support from AT&T. The CSR's at AT&T usually seem to be more intelligent, well-educated and have more experience. Most also are understandable and have better diction and enunciation when they speak. I've only had one dumb the entire year.

I had Verizon wireless, landline and FiOS and I maybe get one intelligent person a year. Most of the time, I get some of the dumbest people answering the phone.

I do know that AT&T has some pretty weak infrastructure in the Philly metro area; I've seen T1 lines run to towers because they were too cheap to run high bandwidth fiber. Yet this area has a lot of fiber backbones in the area. We have Level3, XO and Broadcom all in the area and all with massive fiber pipes. Not to mention both UPenn and Pittsburgh Supercomputing have internet hubs.

I'm in the Philadelphia metropolitan area which means anywhere from Reading to Levittown and Allentown to the Philadelphia Airport. I live near Phoenixville, PA. However, I was in Bensalem, PA when I was having the problem where I called 611.

Also, the LTE is working fine, it's just spotty where I pick it up because it hasn't made it's way northwest yet and I spend a majority of my time north of the city. It just doesn't "hold on" to LTE. It can go from 3-4 bars of LTE and just switch to 3-4 bars of fake 4G (HSPA+) without moving.

I'd expect Verizon CSR's to lie because Verizon's customer support is terrible. However, I'd expect more from AT&T. I've had consistently better customer support from AT&T. The CSR's at AT&T usually seem to be more intelligent, well-educated and have more experience. Most also are understandable and have better diction and enunciation when they speak. I've only had one dumb the entire year.

I had Verizon wireless, landline and FiOS and I maybe get one intelligent person a year. Most of the time, I get some of the dumbest people answering the phone.

I do know that AT&T has some pretty weak infrastructure in the Philly metro area; I've seen T1 lines run to towers because they were too cheap to run high bandwidth fiber. Yet this area has a lot of fiber backbones in the area. We have Level3, XO and Broadcom all in the area and all with massive fiber pipes. Not to mention both UPenn and Pittsburgh Supercomputing have internet hubs.

4 of 9 (17,840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2012 8:16:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sorry if I came off as admonishing you, not my intention.

Well, as to the quality of CSRs, my experience has been absolutely 180 degrees opposed to yours. I find it hard to believe that any one company is better than the other, but of course if you've had very bad personal experiences with Verizon then I can understand why you feel as you do.

I apologize, I misunderstood your complaint. I see that you don't EXPECT to get LTE often but that the fallback (HSPA+) is lousy. That's a distinctly different issue than Verizon users have been reporting, which is that in areas that supposedly have dense LTE deployment the iPhone5 fails to hold onto LTE and falls back to 3G or, even worse, 2G. This might be due to the nature of Verizon LTE or the fact that their maps are inaccurate.

Where I live on the outskirts of NY AT&T hasn't deployed LTE yet but HSPA+, at least for basic data (not videos, etc.) is adequate. And to be fair, reps at the local AT&T store admit that. If my 4G was as bad as yours, however, I would have left AT&T long ago.

Good luck.

Sorry if I came off as admonishing you, not my intention.

Well, as to the quality of CSRs, my experience has been absolutely 180 degrees opposed to yours. I find it hard to believe that any one company is better than the other, but of course if you've had very bad personal experiences with Verizon then I can understand why you feel as you do.

I apologize, I misunderstood your complaint. I see that you don't EXPECT to get LTE often but that the fallback (HSPA+) is lousy. That's a distinctly different issue than Verizon users have been reporting, which is that in areas that supposedly have dense LTE deployment the iPhone5 fails to hold onto LTE and falls back to 3G or, even worse, 2G. This might be due to the nature of Verizon LTE or the fact that their maps are inaccurate.

Where I live on the outskirts of NY AT&T hasn't deployed LTE yet but HSPA+, at least for basic data (not videos, etc.) is adequate. And to be fair, reps at the local AT&T store admit that. If my 4G was as bad as yours, however, I would have left AT&T long ago.

Good luck.

5 of 9 (17,829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2012 8:40:44 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 16, 2012 at 8:41:39 AM

FFMikePhl wrote:

fiber is run to the CO / SAC, the last mile to the dmark is normally copper

FFMikePhl wrote:

fiber is run to the CO / SAC, the last mile to the dmark is normally copper

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (17,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2012 8:41:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have had AT&T before AT&T even existed. I got my first cellphone when it was CellularOne in 1989 through my employer and had kept the same account since. My account still says the corporate FAN on it, but I dare change it because I save over 20%. The account said a loyal customer since 1995 on it until I had to convert it to a "universal" account so I could merge my wifes phone onto my account. I have my entire extended family under my plan which I do with cable and internet as well. I also do yearly operating stock purchases on the companies I use and I make sure Investor relations notate on my accounts that I own operating stock in the company. With that I enjoy a considerable amount of power when I want something done.

Everytime I call I get greeted with an "Enterprise Customer Care" welcome message. Maybe that has something to do with my experience on customer service. I do not yet have a VIP account but I only own $10,000 of AT&T stock.

I have had AT&T before AT&T even existed. I got my first cellphone when it was CellularOne in 1989 through my employer and had kept the same account since. My account still says the corporate FAN on it, but I dare change it because I save over 20%. The account said a loyal customer since 1995 on it until I had to convert it to a "universal" account so I could merge my wifes phone onto my account. I have my entire extended family under my plan which I do with cable and internet as well. I also do yearly operating stock purchases on the companies I use and I make sure Investor relations notate on my accounts that I own operating stock in the company. With that I enjoy a considerable amount of power when I want something done.

Everytime I call I get greeted with an "Enterprise Customer Care" welcome message. Maybe that has something to do with my experience on customer service. I do not yet have a VIP account but I only own $10,000 of AT&T stock.

7 of 9 (17,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 12:39:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm in Center City Philadelphia and I'm having the same problems.  I can't even go to a simple website.  Sometimes, it works, other times it doesn't.  Facebook is horribly slow to the point of timing out.

I'm in Center City Philadelphia and I'm having the same problems.  I can't even go to a simple website.  Sometimes, it works, other times it doesn't.  Facebook is horribly slow to the point of timing out.

8 of 9 (4,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 9:14:21 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by hydrogen3 on Aug 15, 2013 at 9:14:38 AM

I purchased ip5 7 days ago.. had the very same issue. Went to Apple store and replaced the phone.. No issues at all now.

I purchased ip5 7 days ago.. had the very same issue. Went to Apple store and replaced the phone.. No issues at all now.

I think there are giant mushrooms. That visit earth in intergalactic spaceships,spying on us.

[ Edited ]
9 of 9 (4,307 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments