Posted Oct 9, 2012
9:14:12 AM
View profile
iPhone 5 cellular data charges while using wifi

My iPhone 5 uses cellular data even when connected to wifi. I've included snippets from by bill below showing once a hour data usage even when I am at home with the phone connected to wifi.  Although some periods show data usage while I was home asleep, other periods were while I was awake and using the wifi with another computer so I know my home network was working during this time. Apple has released a patch for this exact issue for iPhone 5 on Verizon (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5526) and Verizon has even offered to pay for data overages (http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/01/technology/iphone-5-data-overage/index.html). When I contacted ATT support I was told that this type of data usage was normal when using wifi since the iPhone 5 was advanced and used data at all times, even when associated with wifi networks. The suggested fix was that I disable cellular data to avoid charges. This answer is unacceptable to me since it defeats the purpose of owning a smart phone in the first place and overlooks an issue that Apple and Verizon are actively working to solve. When can ATT iPhone users expect a patch for this bug?

Bill snippet:

10/09 06:26 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 16 KB
10/09 05:26 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 131 KB
10/09 04:26 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 61 KB
10/09 03:26 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 76 KB
10/09 02:26 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 74 KB
10/08 11:26 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 60 KB
10/08 10:26 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 80 KB
10/08 09:26 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 120 KB
10/08 08:26 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 89 KB
10/08 07:26 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 102 KB
10/08 06:26 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 41 KB

10/07 09:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 19541 KB
10/07 08:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 25 KB
10/07 07:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 102 KB
10/07 06:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 40 KB
10/07 05:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 56 KB
10/07 04:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 36 KB
10/07 03:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 75 KB
10/07 02:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 106 KB
10/07 01:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 36 KB
10/06 09:53 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 38 KB
10/06 07:53 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 69 KB
10/06 06:53 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 55 KB

45 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(45)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 9:58:25 AM
(0)
Voyager
I have a 4S and I am also experiencing the same problem. I have been keeping an eye all week here while connected to my company's network (major fashion retailer headquearters that won't be down at any second). While streaming xm radio via wifi I have seen activity sent and received; 10.KB and 8.0KB today, over 25KB yesterday and so on.
Regardless of whose fault it is, Apple of AT&T, it needs to be addressed. I have been forced to switch off cellular data on my phone because I keep going over my basic data plan. I refuse to upgrade to a different plan since I almost never use it. I spend my life at the office or home where I have WIFI.

I have a 4S and I am also experiencing the same problem. I have been keeping an eye all week here while connected to my company's network (major fashion retailer headquearters that won't be down at any second). While streaming xm radio via wifi I have seen activity sent and received; 10.KB and 8.0KB today, over 25KB yesterday and so on.
Regardless of whose fault it is, Apple of AT&T, it needs to be addressed. I have been forced to switch off cellular data on my phone because I keep going over my basic data plan. I refuse to upgrade to a different plan since I almost never use it. I spend my life at the office or home where I have WIFI.

Re: iPhone 5 cellular data charges while using wifi

31 of 46 (2,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 10:04:21 AM
(0)
Expert

edroblesjr wrote:

If the phone goes into hibernation - aka the screen goes dark the wifi radio is turned off by hardware design, a wifi connection is not required for the normal use of the phone so it is turned off to conserve battery. The switch is seamless so you streaming is not disrupted.

edroblesjr wrote:

If the phone goes into hibernation - aka the screen goes dark the wifi radio is turned off by hardware design, a wifi connection is not required for the normal use of the phone so it is turned off to conserve battery. The switch is seamless so you streaming is not disrupted.

32 of 46 (2,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 11:28:46 AM
(0)
Voyager

wingrider01 wrote:

edroblesjr wrote:

If this is the case then how come only 5K were received as opposed to a few gigs since I have heard to at least 3 hours of continued XM radio. Also, what about cell data being sent and received in the middle of the night? I don't have any apps that automatically connect, in fact I have deleted everything except XM and this continues to happen.

Not to mention that this wasn't an issue a few months back... I have owned Iphones on AT&T since the 3 came out and I have had the same plan since then; I started going over my plan a few months ago, much like EVERY person that is posting in this thread.

Your hibernation theory holds no water.

wingrider01 wrote:

edroblesjr wrote:

If this is the case then how come only 5K were received as opposed to a few gigs since I have heard to at least 3 hours of continued XM radio. Also, what about cell data being sent and received in the middle of the night? I don't have any apps that automatically connect, in fact I have deleted everything except XM and this continues to happen.

Not to mention that this wasn't an issue a few months back... I have owned Iphones on AT&T since the 3 came out and I have had the same plan since then; I started going over my plan a few months ago, much like EVERY person that is posting in this thread.

33 of 46 (2,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 12:52:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

I agree that the hibernation theory AND the different versions of the 5 theory don't hold water.

Note that I am experiencing this with two new 5's AND my trusty old 3G.

And if you go back to the very first post where Porkhelmet shows the bill snippet, it isn't just a once per night data dump, it is every hour:  2:53, 3:53, 4:53, etc.  

Is this an ios 6 issue?

Didn't someone somewhere mention a fix issued by Verizon?

I agree that the hibernation theory AND the different versions of the 5 theory don't hold water.

Note that I am experiencing this with two new 5's AND my trusty old 3G.

And if you go back to the very first post where Porkhelmet shows the bill snippet, it isn't just a once per night data dump, it is every hour:  2:53, 3:53, 4:53, etc.  

Is this an ios 6 issue?

Didn't someone somewhere mention a fix issued by Verizon?

34 of 46 (2,165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 1:24:32 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jun 21, 2013 at 1:27:12 PM

edroblesjr wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

edroblesjr wrote:

Believe what you want to, have used an app that identifies cellular vs wi-fi data usage at the app level. This is a sandboxed Iphone 5 that has absolutely nothing on it outside of the data sniffer and the Apple supplied apps. There are numerous Apple supplied apps that automaticly run in the background that will consume cellular data.

In addition have verified that the wi-fi radio is switched off when the phone goes into hibernation utilizing a commercial network sniffer and a app that consumes data. The unique wifi MAC address of the phone shows up in the sniffer trace while the phone is active, approximately 30 seconds after the phone drops into hibernation mode that unique MAC address drops from the trace of the network, indicating that the wifi radio has been switched off and then any subsequent data transfer is done on the cellular network. A visible indication of this can be seen by watching for the wifi connected symbol on the phone when it comes out of hibernation - it takes a second or so for the connected indicator to show up on a phone that just came out of hibernation mode

Have not had a need to purchase a GSM network sniffer / analyzer but with the next project that the team is starting the RFP does indicate that cellular data usage will need to be monitored for specifc reasons, so might just have one in a few months

edroblesjr wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

edroblesjr wrote:

Believe what you want to, have used an app that identifies cellular vs wi-fi data usage at the app level. This is a sandboxed Iphone 5 that has absolutely nothing on it outside of the data sniffer and the Apple supplied apps. There are numerous Apple supplied apps that automaticly run in the background that will consume cellular data.

In addition have verified that the wi-fi radio is switched off when the phone goes into hibernation utilizing a commercial network sniffer and a app that consumes data. The unique wifi MAC address of the phone shows up in the sniffer trace while the phone is active, approximately 30 seconds after the phone drops into hibernation mode that unique MAC address drops from the trace of the network, indicating that the wifi radio has been switched off and then any subsequent data transfer is done on the cellular network. A visible indication of this can be seen by watching for the wifi connected symbol on the phone when it comes out of hibernation - it takes a second or so for the connected indicator to show up on a phone that just came out of hibernation mode

Have not had a need to purchase a GSM network sniffer / analyzer but with the next project that the team is starting the RFP does indicate that cellular data usage will need to be monitored for specifc reasons, so might just have one in a few months

[ Edited ]
35 of 46 (2,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 1:39:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

So .....can you give any advice about what to do?  Turn the phone off completely ?  

So .....can you give any advice about what to do?  Turn the phone off completely ?  

36 of 46 (2,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 5:18:19 PM
(0)
Expert

bondgrl wrote:

that is really up to you, you can use the app that I listed to find out what the biggest culprits are and determine if they are really what you need. Personnally I can;t turn off my phones, I am on call 7x24x365. As far as wifi turning off on hibernation that is set by the phone manufacturer.

I rarely put anything on the phone that is not original app, I use it for email, text and calls. If I want to listen to the radio I have Sirius XM in the cars and a Sirius XM Lynx. The only additional two apps I have on the phone is my bankng app and a on demand weather. I also terminate all apps when I am done with them.

bondgrl wrote:

that is really up to you, you can use the app that I listed to find out what the biggest culprits are and determine if they are really what you need. Personnally I can;t turn off my phones, I am on call 7x24x365. As far as wifi turning off on hibernation that is set by the phone manufacturer.

I rarely put anything on the phone that is not original app, I use it for email, text and calls. If I want to listen to the radio I have Sirius XM in the cars and a Sirius XM Lynx. The only additional two apps I have on the phone is my bankng app and a on demand weather. I also terminate all apps when I am done with them.

37 of 46 (2,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 10:35:22 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by albaucom83 on Aug 30, 2013 at 10:37:11 AM

I believe I have just started experiencing this same issue.  Our billing cycle restarted on the 27th, by the 28th one of my iphones got an alert that we have "used" 65% of the data for the month.  This phone has been used for 17 months on the same plan without ever having any overages for excess data use.  The 300mb plan has been more than enough for this phone user since we purchased the phone!  This made me go to my bill details online and I discover that my other iphone is experiencing the same issue.  A HUGE increase in the amount of data being used.  This seems to have started abruptly between two billing cycles and the terminology has chaged to call all my data use "Roaming Web" usage.    I spent over 2.5 hours on the phone with customer service, who attempted to tell me that my plan was not sufficient (trying to sell me on a larger data plan) and to take the phone to a CORE store.  Then I find information on-line that leads me to believe that EVERY ONE of the FOUR people I spoke with at ATT customer service likely know this is a problem and have been trained to pretend they have never heard of this issue.  I have been a Cingular/ATT customer for over 15 years.  In this time we have never paid a single bill late and never missed a payment.  So, roughly 12k dollars and many years later I can't believe that we are even having to take the time out of our day to deal with this.

I believe I have just started experiencing this same issue.  Our billing cycle restarted on the 27th, by the 28th one of my iphones got an alert that we have "used" 65% of the data for the month.  This phone has been used for 17 months on the same plan without ever having any overages for excess data use.  The 300mb plan has been more than enough for this phone user since we purchased the phone!  This made me go to my bill details online and I discover that my other iphone is experiencing the same issue.  A HUGE increase in the amount of data being used.  This seems to have started abruptly between two billing cycles and the terminology has chaged to call all my data use "Roaming Web" usage.    I spent over 2.5 hours on the phone with customer service, who attempted to tell me that my plan was not sufficient (trying to sell me on a larger data plan) and to take the phone to a CORE store.  Then I find information on-line that leads me to believe that EVERY ONE of the FOUR people I spoke with at ATT customer service likely know this is a problem and have been trained to pretend they have never heard of this issue.  I have been a Cingular/ATT customer for over 15 years.  In this time we have never paid a single bill late and never missed a payment.  So, roughly 12k dollars and many years later I can't believe that we are even having to take the time out of our day to deal with this.

[ Edited ]
38 of 46 (1,422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 11:41:40 AM
(0)
Expert

albaucom83 wrote:

question - are you streaming music? If so the minute your Iphone goes into hibernation - plugged into a charger or not, the wi-fi turns off to conserve battey and the cellulal radio takes over, this is by engineer design at apple. Until recently the wi-fi would stay on when the phone was in hibernation and plugged into a charger, one of the recent IOS upgrades that apple puched out changed this

albaucom83 wrote:

question - are you streaming music? If so the minute your Iphone goes into hibernation - plugged into a charger or not, the wi-fi turns off to conserve battey and the cellulal radio takes over, this is by engineer design at apple. Until recently the wi-fi would stay on when the phone was in hibernation and plugged into a charger, one of the recent IOS upgrades that apple puched out changed this

39 of 46 (1,414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 12:55:55 AM
(0)
Contributor
I've found out not too long ago that AT&T now requires for you to turn off your "cellular data" while you're using wifi! Sounds ridiculous and annoying I know, but it saves you that $10 fee.

Whenever you know you're going to use wifi, head on over to your settings<general<cellular<turn off cellular to strictly use wifi.

While your cellular data is turned off, I don't think you can receive text messages at this time. Boo AT&T.
I've found out not too long ago that AT&T now requires for you to turn off your "cellular data" while you're using wifi! Sounds ridiculous and annoying I know, but it saves you that $10 fee.

Whenever you know you're going to use wifi, head on over to your settings<general<cellular<turn off cellular to strictly use wifi.

While your cellular data is turned off, I don't think you can receive text messages at this time. Boo AT&T.

40 of 46 (1,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 7:42:44 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Some people recommend it, but AT&T doesn't require it. I have a 3GB plan and use wi-fi at home. I don't disable my cellular data while using wi-fi, no problems.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Some people recommend it, but AT&T doesn't require it. I have a 3GB plan and use wi-fi at home. I don't disable my cellular data while using wi-fi, no problems.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

41 of 46 (1,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 8:00:09 AM
(0)
Expert

Mnguyenn wrote:

Sorry this is FUD, leave my cellular data on 7x24x365 and never have exceeded my limits, but then I disabled facebook and all the social sites, use a Sirius portable radio to stream music and a genie-go to watch movies, I used a app by Onavo Mobile to determine what apps where utilizing cellular data and adjusted them or deleted them if they wherer fluff.

Mnguyenn wrote:

Sorry this is FUD, leave my cellular data on 7x24x365 and never have exceeded my limits, but then I disabled facebook and all the social sites, use a Sirius portable radio to stream music and a genie-go to watch movies, I used a app by Onavo Mobile to determine what apps where utilizing cellular data and adjusted them or deleted them if they wherer fluff.

42 of 46 (1,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 1:47:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am copying what I just posted over on the Apple forum in a similar thread:

After two days on iOS7, I still see the same problems....if you leave cellular on while on wifi, it uses cellular data, as well as the 1:23 AM, 2:23 AM, 3:23 AM data transmissions when the phone is asleep.

So Very Discouraged!!!

All of the well-intentioned suggestions about tracking data to discover the culprit, etc., are really of no use. Having used various models of iPhones for several years on AT&T with no problems, this overnight and significant change in data usage is simply unacceptable.

And turning off cellular everytime you go into Wifi areas is, excuse me, ridiculous. You can't even access your voicemail. 

I have been too busy to try to demand an accommodation with AT&T for this (and hoping someone out there will fix it first!), but with three iPhones on my account, I may have to try what Lead_Rain was able to accomplish with Verizon.  (this was: demand that Verizon take back his iPhone and get a Motorola phone instead).

I am copying what I just posted over on the Apple forum in a similar thread:

After two days on iOS7, I still see the same problems....if you leave cellular on while on wifi, it uses cellular data, as well as the 1:23 AM, 2:23 AM, 3:23 AM data transmissions when the phone is asleep.

So Very Discouraged!!!

All of the well-intentioned suggestions about tracking data to discover the culprit, etc., are really of no use. Having used various models of iPhones for several years on AT&T with no problems, this overnight and significant change in data usage is simply unacceptable.

And turning off cellular everytime you go into Wifi areas is, excuse me, ridiculous. You can't even access your voicemail. 

I have been too busy to try to demand an accommodation with AT&T for this (and hoping someone out there will fix it first!), but with three iPhones on my account, I may have to try what Lead_Rain was able to accomplish with Verizon.  (this was: demand that Verizon take back his iPhone and get a Motorola phone instead).

43 of 46 (1,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 11:59:37 AM
(0)
Contributor

This has been going on for years I can see and it's absurd.  My wife gets a 5c  for christmas, running iOS 7, she NEVER turns on mobile net or internet and is always at work or home on WIFI.  Our WIFI runs 24/7 .. movies, etc.  never a problem.

I discovered that for the past 6 days at 1:53 AM her phone is DLing data.    Same time of night, varying amounts of DATA.   Call ATT ?  no problem.   "Your WiFi must not be working properly "

This is nonsense.   All my other phones have unlimited data plans, so I never even looked at this before.

This is unacceptable and it's not my job to fix it !     Just UNACCEPTABLE !

This has been going on for years I can see and it's absurd.  My wife gets a 5c  for christmas, running iOS 7, she NEVER turns on mobile net or internet and is always at work or home on WIFI.  Our WIFI runs 24/7 .. movies, etc.  never a problem.

I discovered that for the past 6 days at 1:53 AM her phone is DLing data.    Same time of night, varying amounts of DATA.   Call ATT ?  no problem.   "Your WiFi must not be working properly "

This is nonsense.   All my other phones have unlimited data plans, so I never even looked at this before.

44 of 46 (634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 2:57:36 PM
(0)
Expert

lbhough wrote:

If the phone goes into hiberation. plugged in or no it will turn off the wifi portion and switch to cellular data, this is a feature designed by the manufacturer to conserve battery usage since wifi is not required for the device to function as a phone

lbhough wrote:

If the phone goes into hiberation. plugged in or no it will turn off the wifi portion and switch to cellular data, this is a feature designed by the manufacturer to conserve battery usage since wifi is not required for the device to function as a phone

45 of 46 (624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 7:27:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

lbhough wrote:

At 1:53 am, it means the data is being reported (usage for the day, past hours, whatever). Doesn't necessarily mean data is being used at that time. 

lbhough wrote:

At 1:53 am, it means the data is being reported (usage for the day, past hours, whatever). Doesn't necessarily mean data is being used at that time. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

46 of 46 (610 Views)