iPhone 5 cellular data charges while using wifi

Contributor

iPhone 5 cellular data charges while using wifi

My iPhone 5 uses cellular data even when connected to wifi. I've included snippets from by bill below showing once a hour data usage even when I am at home with the phone connected to wifi.  Although some periods show data usage while I was home asleep, other periods were while I was awake and using the wifi with another computer so I know my home network was working during this time. Apple has released a patch for this exact issue for iPhone 5 on Verizon (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5526) and Verizon has even offered to pay for data overages (http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/01/technology/iphone-5-data-overage/index.html). When I contacted ATT support I was told that this type of data usage was normal when using wifi since the iPhone 5 was advanced and used data at all times, even when associated with wifi networks. The suggested fix was that I disable cellular data to avoid charges. This answer is unacceptable to me since it defeats the purpose of owning a smart phone in the first place and overlooks an issue that Apple and Verizon are actively working to solve. When can ATT iPhone users expect a patch for this bug?

Bill snippet:

10/09 06:26 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 16 KB
10/09 05:26 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 131 KB
10/09 04:26 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 61 KB
10/09 03:26 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 76 KB
10/09 02:26 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 74 KB
10/08 11:26 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 60 KB
10/08 10:26 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 80 KB
10/08 09:26 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 120 KB
10/08 08:26 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 89 KB
10/08 07:26 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 102 KB
10/08 06:26 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 41 KB

10/07 09:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 19541 KB
10/07 08:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 25 KB
10/07 07:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 102 KB
10/07 06:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 40 KB
10/07 05:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 56 KB
10/07 04:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 36 KB
10/07 03:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 75 KB
10/07 02:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 106 KB
10/07 01:53 AM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 36 KB
10/06 09:53 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 38 KB
10/06 07:53 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 69 KB
10/06 06:53 PM phone  Internet/MEdia Net  Sent 55 KB

Message 1 of 46 (59,480 Views)
Tutor

Re: iPhone 5 cellular data charges while using wifi

Let's suppose Apple is at fault and to a lesser degree AT&T is as well ( sarcasm), when a customer is being charged extra fees for going over their data plan ( because of some kind of data exchange between Apple and AT&T) who gets the money.  AT&T gets the money and then they still blame Apple for the glitch.  So they become richer and blameless.

Message 16 of 46 (56,737 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Taxacct wrote:

Let's suppose Apple is at fault and to a lesser degree AT&T is as well ( sarcasm), when a customer is being charged extra fees for going over their data plan ( because of some kind of data exchange between Apple and AT&T) who gets the money.  AT&T gets the money and then they still blame Apple for the glitch.  So they become richer and blameless.

your logic is at fault, att has no control over what your Apple phone does, they only supply the signal to the apple, designed hardware and IOS that supposedly Apple ran tests on and put it through QA process (Quality Assurance) to make sure there was not fault that could cause problems in the commercial world - kind of like well tested and QA'd, exceedingings accurrate mapping  app they included in this drop of the IOS.  Still wainting for a repsonse to the email I sent asking about why the map app put my ending destination in the middle of the Missouri river a good 10 miles from the address from Apple. Or should I blame ATT for that also becasue they supplied the data connect?

Message 17 of 46 (56,725 Views)
Contributor

The first answer from AT&T support was the same as another user got...  "Turn off cellular data when you're using wifi."  When I pressed further, another suggestion was... "You can go into the ATT app on your phone and just turn off cellular data on any of your iPhones (we have five) when you feel that their use of cellular data while on wifi might exceed your plan limits."  And, lastly, and the answer I expected was to "Increase our Mobile Data Share Plan from 10GB to 15GB because $40 for an extra 5GB is a great deal compared to paying $15/GB if we go over our limit."  To say I was disappointed with all of those answers is an understatement.  

I know this is an iOS6 problem, but really AT&T, as long as you pretend there is no problem and offer up lame solutions when your customers call, the problem is not going to get fixed.  I expect AT&T customer support to go to battle with Apple to get the problem fixed.  The issue is, iPhones that are on iOS6 are using cellular data when they are connected to wifi; this never happened before; it shouldn't be happening now; FIX THE PROBLEM!!!

It's funny that Apple supposedly provided a fix for Verizon customers when all those customers had to do was to make a call on thier phone and stay on the line since they can't use cellular data and talk at the same time.  For AT&T, this problem affects us all the time.  I'm thinking Apple needs to get their priorities straight.  I love to get in a good dig at Verizon whenever I can.

Message 18 of 46 (56,573 Views)
Expert

gvergho wrote:

The first answer from AT&T support was the same as another user got...  "Turn off cellular data when you're using wifi."  When I pressed further, another suggestion was... "You can go into the ATT app on your phone and just turn off cellular data on any of your iPhones (we have five) when you feel that their use of cellular data while on wifi might exceed your plan limits."  And, lastly, and the answer I expected was to "Increase our Mobile Data Share Plan from 10GB to 15GB because $40 for an extra 5GB is a great deal compared to paying $15/GB if we go over our limit."  To say I was disappointed with all of those answers is an understatement.  

I know this is an iOS6 problem, but really AT&T, as long as you pretend there is no problem and offer up lame solutions when your customers call, the problem is not going to get fixed.  I expect AT&T customer support to go to battle with Apple to get the problem fixed.  The issue is, iPhones that are on iOS6 are using cellular data when they are connected to wifi; this never happened before; it shouldn't be happening now; FIX THE PROBLEM!!!

It's funny that Apple supposedly provided a fix for Verizon customers when all those customers had to do was to make a call on thier phone and stay on the line since they can't use cellular data and talk at the same time.  For AT&T, this problem affects us all the time.  I'm thinking Apple needs to get their priorities straight.  I love to get in a good dig at Verizon whenever I can.

Still not seeing excessive cellular data usage on either a 3GS or a 4S using IOS 6, but then neither phone has very few extra apps that have not been vetted and validated for what they are supposed to do - pandora, netflix, facebook, twitter and Icloud are not on the phones.

4S reset 10/02 @ 7:48 AM

Cellular Sent - 11.2 MB

Celular recieved - 38.1 MB

Wifi Sent - 200.6 MB

Wifi Recieved - 350.4 MB

3GS reset 10/03 @ 6:01 AM

Cellular Sent - 1.2 MB

Celular recieved - 8.4 MB

Wifi Sent - 30.0 MB

Wifi Recieved - 45.8 MB

Online reports for the 3GS show a smidge more then the phone reports, 8.6 MB instead of 8.4 MB

Message 19 of 46 (56,559 Views)
Voyager

I have same issue with data leakage with and without Wi-Fi on TWO different iPhone 5

Multiple managers declined my request to open ticket for this issue. 

They gave me suggestion to turn cellular data usage off and talk to Apple again. 

(I contacted with Lashunda S. AT&T Customer Care today.)

I went to Apple store and they want not replace phone 3rd time and redirected me back to AT&T. 

12/19 03:36 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 32 KB
12/19 02:36 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 14 KB
12/19 01:36 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 2 KB
12/19 12:36 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 21 KB
12/19 11:36 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 1 KB
12/19 10:36 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 2 KB
12/19 09:36 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 6 KB
12/19 08:10 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 24 KB
12/19 07:10 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 7 KB
12/19 06:10 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 2 KB
12/19 05:10 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 7 KB
12/19 04:10 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 1 KB
12/19 03:10 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 16 KB
12/19 02:10 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 1 KB
12/19 01:10 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 1 KB
12/19 12:10 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 13 KB
12/18 11:10 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 7 KB
12/18 10:33 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 2 KB
12/18 10:25 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 6 KB
12/18 09:21 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 7 KB
12/18 07:52 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 1 KB
12/18 07:36 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 27 KB
12/18 07:21 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 178 KB

Replaced to a brand new phone and setup a new phone without any data usage at this period of time.

There are no applications installed on the phone at this time.

12/18 06:09 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 66 KB
12/18 05:09 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 2 KB
12/18 04:09 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 1 KB
12/18 03:09 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 18 KB
12/18 02:09 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 1 KB
12/18 01:09 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 1 KB
12/18 12:09 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 112 KB
12/18 11:09 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 59 KB
12/18 10:09 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 7 KB
12/18 09:09 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 1 KB

Message 20 of 46 (53,494 Views)
Expert

Are the phones on the charger at the time? If the phone goes into hibernation and is not on the charger, the IOS turns off the wifi card and reverts back to the cellular circuit,

In addtion some of the tranmission listed are not chargeable, it sends information to att at night for the daily usage

Message 21 of 46 (53,437 Views)
Contributor

While I have not experienced this problem on my i-phone 4 (not 4S) my i-Pad is generating the same problem.  Every night at approx. 12:15 am it sends data.  I have now turned off cellular data which kind of defeats the purpose of putting the i-Pad on the plan.  The local AT&T store checked all of my apps (not many to begin with) and none of them are sending over cellular.  I called customer support and was told it is something that happens every night and I must have been using cellular data for it to happen.  Someone at AT&T needs to connect with someone at Apple and make it stop.  The whole idea of adding my i-Pad to my phone plan was to be able to use cellular data when wi-fi wasn't available and now I can't because I might go over my monthly limit.

Message 22 of 46 (51,567 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

My phone just had overages of several hundred megabytes. I was connected to WiFi all day.  Apple and AT&T stop charging customers for data they are not using.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 23 of 46 (44,136 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the exact same issue with an iPhone 4. Hourly data sent from my phone via cell, not wifi. Called ATT, they said they couldn't figure out the problem and said try turning off cellular data. I did that, it still did the hourly data thing, over cellular data.

ATT person said go to the genius bar. I did. The genius gave the same advice. Didn't work either. I'm really concerned that no one knows how to fix this. 

Message 24 of 46 (40,739 Views)
Contributor

Same situation here. I've gone through, app by app, to try and determine what could be causing it. Turned off iCloud backups, etc.

Still getting about 100 MB in 20MB chunks sent on a regular basis on the 4S.

AT&T support was not helpful - they say they can't tell or evaluate where the traffic is going.

Message 25 of 46 (40,175 Views)

I thought I was the only one. Yesterday I noticed that on my iPhone 5 that the 4G was being used instead of wi-fi.  I have 3 different wi-fi settings in my house and my phone has always been set up to connect to these automatically. I had to call ATT and they had be reset my network settings and clear my cookies and data to get it to stop.

I also noticed that during these last two months, for the first time ever, my accounts have been nearing the data usage even though we haven't changed the way we use it.  It's really getting frustrating because I got the 6GB plan to avoid excessive data usage because we never went over 4GB (3GB was always the max) and suddenly, we're going over 6? 

It's insane.

Message 26 of 46 (33,571 Views)
Tutor

This is a HUGE issue! and I can't believe it hasn't been resolved.

I have three iPhones on my share plan (2 iPhone 5's, and one iPhone3GS), and they ALL have the exact same things happening to them.  

We have turned off all cloud sharing, and it is still occurring.

Hello, AT&T??

Message 27 of 46 (32,838 Views)
Explorer

When I had my iPhone 4, I used just at or below 1GB.  I upgraded in the middle of April to an iPhone 5... April's data usage was 1.8 GB, May's was 2.7GB and June was 3.3 GB.  The thing is, LTE is so dang fast!  I turn off my wifi frequently and just use the LTE speeds.  I acknowledge I use a TON of data, and my usage adds up.  One month was weird though, I'll be honest...Apparently I used 0 GB in December...Not sure what happened there.

Message 28 of 46 (31,672 Views)
Highlighted
Explorer

Oh, I also meant to say... iPhone's (and other smartphones) are "always-on" data devices.  Meaning, when you use an App or load a site, there's always background data usage going on so depending on how you use your phone, it links all the times you do something together in one big heap because the usage was continuous, and the midnight/late night data influx is just because that's when they pull the data usage for the day from those devices and if it was a long, ongoing session, it looks pretty large.

Message 29 of 46 (31,672 Views)
Expert

bondgrl wrote:

This is a HUGE issue! and I can't believe it hasn't been resolved.

I have three iPhones on my share plan (2 iPhone 5's, and one iPhone3GS), and they ALL have the exact same things happening to them.  

We have turned off all cloud sharing, and it is still occurring.

Hello, AT&T??

just brought a brand new Iphone 5 online, phone is 3 days old recent manufacturer date - there are differences

1. the iphone 5 with IOS 6.1.4 nw turns off wi-fi when hibernating no matter if it is plugged into a charger or not

2. stock Iphone, absolutley no apps loaded outside of what comes with it, all cloud and anything to do with itunes or any other auto feature includiung location services is turned off

Loading a custom app for data tracking even with all functionality turned off the following two IOS services are still running and utilizing cellular data

Itunes-Iphone

Apple Services

these are both Apple native apps, the issue is with Apple and not ATT

Message 30 of 46 (31,641 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.