iPhone 5 battery problems - doess AT&T replace or Apple

Contributor

iPhone 5 battery problems - doess AT&T replace or Apple

I recently upgraded my iPhone to the iPhone 5 and love it, but am having battery problems.  I understand from the Apple forums that it's a known issue and many people are just getting their phones replaced.  My battery can go from 100% to 10% in about 3 to 4 hours while it's just sitting there.  And I do have a few things turned on like Wi-Fi, but nothing different from my older iPhone.  So it's really not useable if I go outside for more than a few hours.  But that's not the real problem.

So my question is:  I have insurance with AT&T on the phone.  I just called the AT&T store where I bought it, explained the problem and she said I have to take it to the Apple store.  That makes no sense at all to me and if that is the case, why am I paying a monthly fee for insurance.  And whether I had the insurance or not, it's only about six weeks old so AT&T should be covering it, should they not?  

I've been an AT&T customer for many, many years now and am pretty upset right now.  When did this change?  If that is the case, I would have just bought from Apple in the first place.

Thanks a lot.

Marilyn

Message 1 of 13 (13,228 Views)
Community Manager

Re: iPhone 5 battery problems - doess AT&T replace or Apple

Hello Marilyn, thank you for posting and welcome.

I apologise for the confusion, there are two types of replacement options:

1. What you're describing is a warranty issue (manufacturing defects), warranties are handled elusively by Apple. It has always been a requirement set by Apple regardless of the place of purchase, since they're the manufacturer of the phone they want to service it.

2. Insurance will cover out of warranty issues, like accidental or water damage, lost or stolen phone. Insurance is provided by our partner company called Assurion and they handle claims over the phone or online, they deliver replacement overnight. Insurance has a deductible of $199 and should only be used in cases that warranty doesn't cover.

This article covers it all in more detail: Replace your broken iPhone or iPad.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dmitriy.

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 13 (13,222 Views)
Master

Apple takes care of all warranty work as for insurance, what you really want is AppleCare+ from apple and AT&T should have offered it to you at the time of purchase. It is $99 then you would just go to Apple for everything. It may be too late but if AT&T will add it for you, so you can drop their insurance, you would be much better off in the long run. Either way though, Apple needs to look at your iPhone first.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 3 of 13 (13,169 Views)
ACE - Master

youngjm wrote:
Apple takes care of all warranty work as for insurance, what you really want is AppleCare+ from apple and AT&T should have offered it to you at the time of purchase. It is $99 then you would just go to Apple for everything. It may be too late but if AT&T will add it for you, so you can drop their insurance, you would be much better off in the long run. Either way though, Apple needs to look at your iPhone first.

Also, if the OP is within 30 days of the original iPhone 5 purchase, they can take their iPhone, and the receipt for proof of purchase into an Apple store and purchase Apple Care+.  To purchase it after the original iPhone purchase, you need to take the phone into a Genius Bar so they can see it to verify that it is indeed still working properly before you can buy the service plan.  I know that when I bought my iPhone 5 on launch day, the AT&T sales rep tried to push their insurance on me, and said that they couldn't sell the Apple Care+, so I jsut went to my local Apple store a couple weeks later and purchased it.  For some reason, I thought it was $129 though since they include 2 "no questions asked" replacement incidents (for about $50 each) in the 2 years of coverage too.  The only thing that Apple Care+ doesn't cover is theft.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 13 (13,103 Views)
Scholar

A new policy is in effect..when you purchase ip from att. you can nolonger return the ip for a replacement even if it's 2 days old. you must go directly to an Apple store or via phone support..

Message 5 of 13 (12,934 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

hydrogen3 wrote:

A new policy is in effect..when you purchase ip from att. you can nolonger return the ip for a replacement even if it's 2 days old. you must go directly to an Apple store or via phone support..

really, where is this documented? Becuase the current policy listed here seems to say different

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/returnpolicy.html#fbid=rwANAojnpJe

Now if it is a authorized retailer then all bets are off becasue they can impose any rule, surcharge or additinal penalty

Message 6 of 13 (12,913 Views)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

hydrogen3 wrote:

really, where is this documented? Becuase the current policy listed here seems to say different

Now if it is a authorized retailer then all bets are off becasue they can impose any rule, surcharge or additinal penalty

That policy is for returns (as in get your money back) or to exchange for a different phone, i.e. exchange an iphone for an android, not for warranty exchanges.

Warranty exchanges for iphones have always been handled by Apple. No new policy there. I think there used to be confusion during the first 30 days (before the return policy dropped to 14 days) whether warranty exchanges would be handled by Apple or AT&T but I'm pretty sure that's been straigtened out. Warranty work is done by Apple whether it's the first 14 days or not.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 13 (12,904 Views)
Expert

sandblaster wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

hydrogen3 wrote:

That policy is for returns (as in get your money back) or to exchange for a different phone, i.e. exchange an iphone for an android, not for warranty exchanges.

Warranty exchanges for iphones have always been handled by Apple. No new policy there. I think there used to be confusion during the first 30 days (before the return policy dropped to 14 days) whether warranty exchanges would be handled by Apple or AT&T but I'm pretty sure that's been straigtened out. Warranty work is done by Apple whether it's the first 14 days or not.

have done buyers remorse iphone to same iphone when the device that I originally got OOB was defective

Message 8 of 13 (12,900 Views)

[ Edited ]

youngjm wrote:
Edit:   I Havent Bought the plan in years because the last time i bought it was the Apple Care and not the + like i thought for my iphone 3gs and all it was extend the warranty and not Similar to the insurance like AT&T has
Message 9 of 13 (12,862 Views)
Scholar

I had this issue with my iphone 5, I went online and setup a repair service, I requested the box, next day empty box was at house, shipped it, they shipped replacement iphone overnight. Now I have a good battery.  

Message 10 of 13 (12,751 Views)
Scholar

@ Brian that was quick Smiley Wink

I've used online service on replacement 4S headphones
Recently they ask you for your credit card of the value
Of the items incase you don't send items back lol

They introduced the AppleCare + in the UK but it costs £79 instead of
The previous £61 don't know why they hiked the price up !
Message 11 of 13 (12,426 Views)
ACE - Master

Kerry78 wrote:
@ Brian that was quick Smiley Wink

I've used online service on replacement 4S headphones
Recently they ask you for your credit card of the value
Of the items incase you don't send items back lol

They introduced the AppleCare + in the UK but it costs £79 instead of
The previous £61 don't know why they hiked the price up !

The previous AppleCare was just a 1 year extension to the original warranty on the device.  The new Apple Care+ is that, plus it includes more.  It has the inclusion of 2  replacemetns for "accidental damage" for a small fee (approx $49 USD).  Now if you break teh screen, or drop your phone in watrer, you can get it replaced under teh AppleCare+ for a small fee rather than paying the full "Out of Warranty" repalcement cost.  Here in the US, the AppleCare cost used to be $99, but the new AppleCare+ is now $129, but that includes those 2 "incidents" so if you have to take advantace of it, you can still save yourself over $100 USD.  Now, if you are careful, then you don't need that extra coverage, but I don't think that Apple offers the plain AppleCare any longer.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 12 of 13 (12,415 Views)
Scholar

Yeah that's my problem I'm careful with my 4S
U gotta be its glass, a friend of mines kid got a hold of
My phone once and threw it in my palm tree compost pot it got compost in the headphone phone jack and I couldn't get it out the phone worked but nothing made a sound on it took it to apple he looked at it tried getting the dirt out I assumed he would say there would be a replacement charge but out of the kindness he gave me a replacement totally free!

It's a good warranty if with the insurance but I think
It's abit expensive crazy they hiked the price up in america to! tbh I might just shop about for a alternative cover if I get a iPhone 5s say!

But I'm undecided if I want one yet might just wait for
iPhone 6 cos my 4s is warrantied till July next year anyway, in unsure if apple let you transfer warranty cover onto another iPhone anyway Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 13 (12,360 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.