iPhone 5 Restore question

Guru

iPhone 5 Restore question

I haven't had to restore and start new with any of my iphones yet. My wife's iphone 5 has a software issue now and has to be reset and start a new. How can I wipe her phone clean but not have to enter all of her 200 contacts one by one?
Message 1 of 7 (881 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: iPhone 5 Restore question

I believe if you backup her phone with iTunes, wipe the phone clean and reinstall software, you should be able to restore the contacts from the backup. I haven't had to do it but I think that is what the backup is for, along with being able to restore the applications and contacts when you upgrade to a newer model iPhone.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7 (856 Views)
Scholar

Turn on iCloud and then turn on contacts under iCloud settings. This will copy your contacts to the iCloud. After restarting the phone turn iCloud on and turn on contacts under iCloud settings. This will copy the contacts back to the phone. (The steps may not be exact but I'm pretty sure that's how I did it)

I had to reset my 4S to new due to an issue with restoring from my 3GS backup and that's how I was able to keep my contacts.

Message 3 of 7 (849 Views)
ACE - Master

Both above suggestions will work. The difference is the backup/restore option will restore all applications, application data, text message history, email, etc in addition to the contacts. Another option to backing up to itunes is to backup to icould.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7 (832 Views)
Master

What he said and redundancy does not hurt I use both you never know.

sandblaster wrote:

Both above suggestions will work. The difference is the backup/restore option will restore all applications, application data, text message history, email, etc in addition to the contacts. Another option to backing up to itunes is to backup to icould.

Message 5 of 7 (792 Views)
Guru

Now if I restore from a back up, whether its iTunes or iCloud, won't it restore the problem she already has with the software and her contacts? I wouldn't think it only backs up the contacts. Thanks for the replys!
Message 6 of 7 (786 Views)
ACE - Master

Facci wrote:
Now if I restore from a back up, whether its iTunes or iCloud, won't it restore the problem she already has with the software and her contacts? I wouldn't think it only backs up the contacts. Thanks for the replys!

Yes, that is possible. It kind of depends on what exactly the software issue is but restoring from a backup could simply re-create that issue. It is also possible that the software issue is corrupted application software. When you restore from backup (either iTunes or iCloud), you actually re-install the application which would fix any corrupted application. If it is the application data that is corrupted, however, it might still be corrupted after the restore.

Message 7 of 7 (774 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.