Wireless Forums

Posted Jul 7, 2013
8:47:15 PM
View profile
iPhone 5 LTE plan help!

I feel my parents ar epaying too much for my data plan. I want to change form LTE unlimited to somethign less. I've noticed 3 plans.

data unlimited LTE $30

dataPro 3GB LTE $30

dataPlus 300MB LTE $20

Why is the dataPro and dataUnlimited the same price? Also why can I only get unlimited text? It doesn't give me any other options.

I feel my parents ar epaying too much for my data plan. I want to change form LTE unlimited to somethign less. I've noticed 3 plans.

data unlimited LTE $30

dataPro 3GB LTE $30

dataPlus 300MB LTE $20

Why is the dataPro and dataUnlimited the same price? Also why can I only get unlimited text? It doesn't give me any other options.

iPhone 5 LTE plan help!

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2013 8:57:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Jul 7, 2013 at 8:59:45 PM

The unlimited data plan was priced at $30 years ago before AT&T decided to drop it. The DataPro plan essentially is the same price for a lesser amount of data. Sure, the unlimited plan gets throttled when the user reaches a higher consumption, but believe me, it is a better deal.

If you are currently signed up for the unlimited plan, I would strongly recommend not switching to another data plan if you are a heavy data user. Once you drop the unlimited plan, there's no way of getting it back. You have what's called a "grandfathered" plan, meaning that it's no longer offered but AT&T still let you keep it.

Also, I'm not sure why AT&T doesn't offer any other text messaging plans. They must figure that everyone wants or needs unlimited.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

The unlimited data plan was priced at $30 years ago before AT&T decided to drop it. The DataPro plan essentially is the same price for a lesser amount of data. Sure, the unlimited plan gets throttled when the user reaches a higher consumption, but believe me, it is a better deal.

If you are currently signed up for the unlimited plan, I would strongly recommend not switching to another data plan if you are a heavy data user. Once you drop the unlimited plan, there's no way of getting it back. You have what's called a "grandfathered" plan, meaning that it's no longer offered but AT&T still let you keep it.

Also, I'm not sure why AT&T doesn't offer any other text messaging plans. They must figure that everyone wants or needs unlimited.

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 5 LTE plan help!

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (1,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2013 9:11:11 PM
(0)
Teacher
So you're saying There is no more LTE unlimited?

3 of 9 (1,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2013 9:30:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Nope. I'm not familiar with terminology 'LTE unlimited' - I assume that just means that you can use the "original" unlimited data with an LTE device and be able to access it with 4G LTE speeds.

Nope. I'm not familiar with terminology 'LTE unlimited' - I assume that just means that you can use the "original" unlimited data with an LTE device and be able to access it with 4G LTE speeds.

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (1,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 2:10:17 AM
(0)
Professor

radsherwin wrote:

Not as a plan that you can change to.  If you were grandfathered in the unlimited plan when you got the iPhone 5, your previous 4G unlimited plan was changed to the LTE unlimited plan, but if you were on a tiered 4G plan, you swapped to the equivalent LTE tiered data plan.

Currently, people who have it can keep their old unlimited plan, but if you ever swap to a tiered data plan, you can't go back to unlimited.

radsherwin wrote:

Not as a plan that you can change to.  If you were grandfathered in the unlimited plan when you got the iPhone 5, your previous 4G unlimited plan was changed to the LTE unlimited plan, but if you were on a tiered 4G plan, you swapped to the equivalent LTE tiered data plan.

Currently, people who have it can keep their old unlimited plan, but if you ever swap to a tiered data plan, you can't go back to unlimited.

5 of 9 (984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 6:49:31 PM
(0)
Master

Wild Banchi wrote:

The LTE Unlimited plan is on accounts that still have the grandfathered unlimited plan.  It tells ATT not to throttle our usage at 5GB vs 3GB for the previous generations of the network.

You cannot add this plan to an account and once you change to another data plan, you cannot get it back.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Wild Banchi wrote:

The LTE Unlimited plan is on accounts that still have the grandfathered unlimited plan.  It tells ATT not to throttle our usage at 5GB vs 3GB for the previous generations of the network.

You cannot add this plan to an account and once you change to another data plan, you cannot get it back.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

6 of 9 (900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2013 5:59:35 AM
(0)
Teacher
AT&T will speed limit unlimited data accounts on 3G, 4G and LTE networks. 3G usage per billing period or 5G usage on LTE. Look at the plans carefully
AT&T will speed limit unlimited data accounts on 3G, 4G and LTE networks. 3G usage per billing period or 5G usage on LTE. Look at the plans carefully

7 of 9 (809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 8:39:34 AM
(0)
Expert

Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:

It really does not matter, becuase it appears the OP does not have the discontinued plan, so they choices are tiered or shared which is not speed capped, but checkbook capped

It really does not matter, becuase it appears the OP does not have the discontinued plan, so they choices are tiered or shared which is not speed capped, but checkbook capped

8 of 9 (797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 8:48:58 AM
(0)
Employee

wingrider01 wrote:

Actually, the OP does have the grandfathered unlimited plan. That is why "data unlimited LTE $30" shows up as one of his choices. If he didn't already have it, it would not show up as a choice.

wingrider01 wrote:

Actually, the OP does have the grandfathered unlimited plan. That is why "data unlimited LTE $30" shows up as one of his choices. If he didn't already have it, it would not show up as a choice.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 9 (792 Views)