iPhone 5 LTE plan help!

Highlighted
Teacher

iPhone 5 LTE plan help!

I feel my parents ar epaying too much for my data plan. I want to change form LTE unlimited to somethign less. I've noticed 3 plans.

data unlimited LTE $30

dataPro 3GB LTE $30

dataPlus 300MB LTE $20

Why is the dataPro and dataUnlimited the same price? Also why can I only get unlimited text? It doesn't give me any other options.

Message 1 of 9 (1,171 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone 5 LTE plan help!

[ Edited ]

The unlimited data plan was priced at $30 years ago before AT&T decided to drop it. The DataPro plan essentially is the same price for a lesser amount of data. Sure, the unlimited plan gets throttled when the user reaches a higher consumption, but believe me, it is a better deal.

If you are currently signed up for the unlimited plan, I would strongly recommend not switching to another data plan if you are a heavy data user. Once you drop the unlimited plan, there's no way of getting it back. You have what's called a "grandfathered" plan, meaning that it's no longer offered but AT&T still let you keep it.

Also, I'm not sure why AT&T doesn't offer any other text messaging plans. They must figure that everyone wants or needs unlimited.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 9 (1,166 Views)
Teacher

So you're saying There is no more LTE unlimited?
Message 3 of 9 (1,149 Views)
Master

Nope. I'm not familiar with terminology 'LTE unlimited' - I assume that just means that you can use the "original" unlimited data with an LTE device and be able to access it with 4G LTE speeds.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 9 (1,126 Views)
Professor

radsherwin wrote:
So you're saying There is no more LTE unlimited?

Not as a plan that you can change to.  If you were grandfathered in the unlimited plan when you got the iPhone 5, your previous 4G unlimited plan was changed to the LTE unlimited plan, but if you were on a tiered 4G plan, you swapped to the equivalent LTE tiered data plan.

Currently, people who have it can keep their old unlimited plan, but if you ever swap to a tiered data plan, you can't go back to unlimited.

Message 5 of 9 (1,054 Views)
Master

Wild Banchi wrote:
Nope. I'm not familiar with terminology 'LTE unlimited' - I assume that just means that you can use the "original" unlimited data with an LTE device and be able to access it with 4G LTE speeds.

The LTE Unlimited plan is on accounts that still have the grandfathered unlimited plan.  It tells ATT not to throttle our usage at 5GB vs 3GB for the previous generations of the network.

You cannot add this plan to an account and once you change to another data plan, you cannot get it back.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 6 of 9 (970 Views)

AT&T will speed limit unlimited data accounts on 3G, 4G and LTE networks. 3G usage per billing period or 5G usage on LTE. Look at the plans carefully
Message 7 of 9 (879 Views)
Expert

Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:
AT&T will speed limit unlimited data accounts on 3G, 4G and LTE networks. 3G usage per billing period or 5G usage on LTE. Look at the plans carefully

It really does not matter, becuase it appears the OP does not have the discontinued plan, so they choices are tiered or shared which is not speed capped, but checkbook capped

Message 8 of 9 (867 Views)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:

It really does not matter, becuase it appears the OP does not have the discontinued plan, so they choices are tiered or shared which is not speed capped, but checkbook capped

Actually, the OP does have the grandfathered unlimited plan. That is why "data unlimited LTE $30" shows up as one of his choices. If he didn't already have it, it would not show up as a choice.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 9 (862 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.