Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 6, 2011
4:33:47 PM
iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

Sunday morning, I got a warning text that I had used over 90% of my 2GB cellular data.  I was surprised at that, so I dug through the information, and found something I can't sort out.

I've been using an iPhone 4 since they first came out.  I pulled up my data usage with AT&T online, and over the past year, I have an average data use of 285MB per month, and a peak month of 443MB.

I upgraded to a 4s on October 14, and between that date and November 5, AT&T says that I've used 1967MB in that 3 week span.  I'm using the same apps on my phone, no iCloud synchronization, email set to manual fetch not push, no tethering, I don't listen to music or watch videos on cellular (and rarely on WiFi), and yet somehow I'm suddenly using 6 times more cellular data as was typical before?  My WiFi is set up correctly as home, as I do see the phone switch over to it.  Even then, I mostly use my phone to check email, FaceBook, and text.

Things went particular out-of-whack last week, with 414MB on 10/31, 640MB on 11/1, and 687MB on 11/3.

According to the cellular usage in my phone, I've sent 27MB and received 225MB in the same time frame.  I'm included to agree with the phone, as that number is consistent with my standard usage patterns.

I expect some discrepancy between what my phone says I've used and what AT&T says, but 252MB versus 1967MB?

I spent over an hour talking to Apple looking for possible explanations, but the phone was already set correctly.  They handed me off to AT&T, but AT&T only told me that they just know how much data is used, not why, and couldn't explain things.

I've seen a few messages suggesting similar problems.  Has anyone seen similar issues and gone back to try to explain it, only to find similar major discrepancies?

Thanks.

Chris

Sunday morning, I got a warning text that I had used over 90% of my 2GB cellular data.  I was surprised at that, so I dug through the information, and found something I can't sort out.

I've been using an iPhone 4 since they first came out.  I pulled up my data usage with AT&T online, and over the past year, I have an average data use of 285MB per month, and a peak month of 443MB.

I upgraded to a 4s on October 14, and between that date and November 5, AT&T says that I've used 1967MB in that 3 week span.  I'm using the same apps on my phone, no iCloud synchronization, email set to manual fetch not push, no tethering, I don't listen to music or watch videos on cellular (and rarely on WiFi), and yet somehow I'm suddenly using 6 times more cellular data as was typical before?  My WiFi is set up correctly as home, as I do see the phone switch over to it.  Even then, I mostly use my phone to check email, FaceBook, and text.

Things went particular out-of-whack last week, with 414MB on 10/31, 640MB on 11/1, and 687MB on 11/3.

According to the cellular usage in my phone, I've sent 27MB and received 225MB in the same time frame.  I'm included to agree with the phone, as that number is consistent with my standard usage patterns.

I expect some discrepancy between what my phone says I've used and what AT&T says, but 252MB versus 1967MB?

I spent over an hour talking to Apple looking for possible explanations, but the phone was already set correctly.  They handed me off to AT&T, but AT&T only told me that they just know how much data is used, not why, and couldn't explain things.

I've seen a few messages suggesting similar problems.  Has anyone seen similar issues and gone back to try to explain it, only to find similar major discrepancies?

Thanks.

Chris

iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

98 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
View all replies
(98)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 5:51:32 AM
(0)
Scholar

SMS does not use data.  iMessage does... but it would be miniscule, we're talking 10k maybe per message.

MMS does not use data, at least it's not counted against a data plan.  Picture messages over iMessage do use data and could add up depending on how large the pictures being sent are.

SMS does not use data.  iMessage does... but it would be miniscule, we're talking 10k maybe per message.

MMS does not use data, at least it's not counted against a data plan.  Picture messages over iMessage do use data and could add up depending on how large the pictures being sent are.

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

31 of 99 (19,822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 5:59:21 AM
(0)
Professor
I realize that iMessage uses data, but it's still essentially SMS/MMS sent a different way. I assumed the size of each message was basically the same whether it was sent iMessage or normal text and was making the point that it seems hard to use up 100 MB in 2 days just sending messages. I should have been clearer.
I realize that iMessage uses data, but it's still essentially SMS/MMS sent a different way. I assumed the size of each message was basically the same whether it was sent iMessage or normal text and was making the point that it seems hard to use up 100 MB in 2 days just sending messages. I should have been clearer.

32 of 99 (19,821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 8:45:33 AM
(0)
Guru

Ryan_ATL wrote:

dogweather wrote:
Having the same problem: used up my normal data allotment in the first 6 days of my billing cycle. This is only since switching to the iPhone 4s and iOS 5.

I found a potential quick fix. Turn the following preference OFF:

General / Network / Cellular Data
"Turn off cellular data to restrict all data to Wi-Fi..."

Am now researching it further, but this could stop the leakage.

Well, that will certainly stop the device from using cellular data, but unless you toggle it back on, you will not have data access when away from Wi-Fi.  At least to my way of thinking, what's the point of paying for data if you simply turn it off?

OP indicated that he was looking for a "quick" fix rather than a permanant one; I'm sure he's not looking to keep the cellular data turned off completely.

Ryan_ATL wrote:

dogweather wrote:
Having the same problem: used up my normal data allotment in the first 6 days of my billing cycle. This is only since switching to the iPhone 4s and iOS 5.

I found a potential quick fix. Turn the following preference OFF:

General / Network / Cellular Data
"Turn off cellular data to restrict all data to Wi-Fi..."

Am now researching it further, but this could stop the leakage.

Well, that will certainly stop the device from using cellular data, but unless you toggle it back on, you will not have data access when away from Wi-Fi.  At least to my way of thinking, what's the point of paying for data if you simply turn it off?

OP indicated that he was looking for a "quick" fix rather than a permanant one; I'm sure he's not looking to keep the cellular data turned off completely.

33 of 99 (19,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 3:22:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same situation for me.  Sudden extreme data usage.  I've NEVER gone over my 200 mb limit in the last few years.  Now with ios5 and icloud I'm well over 600 MB just 15 days into my cycle.

What the heck?  The only thing I'm doing any differently is using icloud (but before I had mobileme syncing) and I also turned on iTunes Match.  But I haven't used it at all while outside of my own home network.  And even then, I haven't listened to music on my iphone.  There's a jusge leak somewhere and its costing me money for data usage that I'm not getting any advantage out of.

Same situation for me.  Sudden extreme data usage.  I've NEVER gone over my 200 mb limit in the last few years.  Now with ios5 and icloud I'm well over 600 MB just 15 days into my cycle.

What the heck?  The only thing I'm doing any differently is using icloud (but before I had mobileme syncing) and I also turned on iTunes Match.  But I haven't used it at all while outside of my own home network.  And even then, I haven't listened to music on my iphone.  There's a jusge leak somewhere and its costing me money for data usage that I'm not getting any advantage out of.

34 of 99 (19,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 6:51:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Explorz wrote:

If you haven't already done this, change your data plan to the 2GB plan and backdate it to the beginning of your billing cycle.  This will cost you $25 versus the $60 that you are facing now, provided you don't exceed 2GB.  This is just a temporary solution suggestion until your overall issue is resolved.

Explorz wrote:

If you haven't already done this, change your data plan to the 2GB plan and backdate it to the beginning of your billing cycle.  This will cost you $25 versus the $60 that you are facing now, provided you don't exceed 2GB.  This is just a temporary solution suggestion until your overall issue is resolved.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

35 of 99 (19,747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2011 9:06:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

Wow, I average about 60mb in a month. In one evening ATT billed me 112mb when I wasn't using the phone. Besides that, I'm on wi-fi at home.

Wow, I average about 60mb in a month. In one evening ATT billed me 112mb when I wasn't using the phone. Besides that, I'm on wi-fi at home.

36 of 99 (19,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2011 9:11:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

It takes approximately 12,000 emails (no photos/attachments) to use 200 mb. Something isn't right with AT&T's billing computer!

It takes approximately 12,000 emails (no photos/attachments) to use 200 mb. Something isn't right with AT&T's billing computer!

37 of 99 (19,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2011 9:29:00 PM
(0)
Tutor
Your issue is eerily similar to mine. For 2 1/2 years I averaged about 60mb per month with my old 3G model. Got the 4s 3 weeks ago and AT&T says I'm at 232mb already even though the iphone says I've used 80.4mb. One night at 10:30pm it billed me 112mb even though I wasn't using it then and the phone was on my wi-fi. Was able to talk to an AT&T tech named Tony (after 4 transfers) who spent an hour with me and acknowledged there was a problem but he wasn't able to figure it out.
Your issue is eerily similar to mine. For 2 1/2 years I averaged about 60mb per month with my old 3G model. Got the 4s 3 weeks ago and AT&T says I'm at 232mb already even though the iphone says I've used 80.4mb. One night at 10:30pm it billed me 112mb even though I wasn't using it then and the phone was on my wi-fi. Was able to talk to an AT&T tech named Tony (after 4 transfers) who spent an hour with me and acknowledged there was a problem but he wasn't able to figure it out.

38 of 99 (19,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2011 6:45:59 AM
(0)
Guru

flymyp51 wrote:

Waiting for the AT&T/iPhone "experts" here in this forum to pipe in with their two cents worth explaining that what I highlighted in your reply isn't really a "problem" with either AT&T and/or the iPhone itself but rather, a change in usage on your part that you're just not realizing; they'll probably say that the issue you're describing can be explained by one or more of the following:

1) Did you reset the usage counter statistics on your iPhone recently?

2) Did you add both the "Sent" and "Received" figures that your iPhone is reporting?

3) Did you recently upgrade your iOS or otherwise reset your iPhone but set it up as "new" rather than restoring from backup?

4) Is your iPhone jailbroken?

5) Did you install some non-Apple approved program or other software on your phone (obviously this step can't be done unless you've answered yes to #4 above)?  Perhaps it may be causing the iOS to report erroneous data usage figures.

Now if you answered "yes" to any of the above questions, then all bets are off; however, if your answer to ALL of the above is "no"--well then I'm stumped...other than to say that it would seem that it's either an AT&T data usage reporting issue and/or an iOS issue.

flymyp51 wrote:

Waiting for the AT&T/iPhone "experts" here in this forum to pipe in with their two cents worth explaining that what I highlighted in your reply isn't really a "problem" with either AT&T and/or the iPhone itself but rather, a change in usage on your part that you're just not realizing; they'll probably say that the issue you're describing can be explained by one or more of the following:

1) Did you reset the usage counter statistics on your iPhone recently?

2) Did you add both the "Sent" and "Received" figures that your iPhone is reporting?

3) Did you recently upgrade your iOS or otherwise reset your iPhone but set it up as "new" rather than restoring from backup?

4) Is your iPhone jailbroken?

5) Did you install some non-Apple approved program or other software on your phone (obviously this step can't be done unless you've answered yes to #4 above)?  Perhaps it may be causing the iOS to report erroneous data usage figures.

Now if you answered "yes" to any of the above questions, then all bets are off; however, if your answer to ALL of the above is "no"--well then I'm stumped...other than to say that it would seem that it's either an AT&T data usage reporting issue and/or an iOS issue.

39 of 99 (19,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2012 9:43:51 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on Feb 12, 2012 at 9:47:24 AM

Around 11pm Central time and 5am an average of 300-500mb of "unknown and unapproved" usage.[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. I'm tired of the excessive usage warnings telling me my speed is gonna drop to nill because I used more than the average user....

Around 11pm Central time and 5am an average of 300-500mb of "unknown and unapproved" usage.[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. I'm tired of the excessive usage warnings telling me my speed is gonna drop to nill because I used more than the average user....

[ Edited ]
40 of 99 (18,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2012 11:27:40 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 12, 2012 at 2:15:40 PM

There is something going on. I am very technical and deal with networks all the time.

I have "Enable 3G" OFF and "Cellular Data" OFF.  I am on a WIFI network with no dead spots throughout my house - there should be no way I am using 3G.

And yet I am still showing 3G data usage. There is something going on here that is not good.

I think ATT counts on the fact that most users haven't a clue and will push this billing scam until they are stopped.

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

There is something going on. I am very technical and deal with networks all the time.

I have "Enable 3G" OFF and "Cellular Data" OFF.  I am on a WIFI network with no dead spots throughout my house - there should be no way I am using 3G.

And yet I am still showing 3G data usage. There is something going on here that is not good.

I think ATT counts on the fact that most users haven't a clue and will push this billing scam until they are stopped.

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

[ Edited ]
41 of 99 (18,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2012 1:42:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by johninsj on Feb 12, 2012 at 1:43:02 PM

There can be up to 72 hours delay in reporting cellular data, but after 72 hours with Cellular data off (no need to turn off 3G Data) there should be no more data reported.

If there is still data reported, then either AT&T is trying to rip you off (unlikely) or your sim has been cloned (maybe) or there is some major wierdness on your account (like, it's assigned to two sims, or other bizzare things) or you're pulling your sim out and using it in another device (why would you do such a thing?)

Edit: and three phones nearly two years in on AT&T, no "billing scam" noted here. And I am guessing I am even more techical than you.

There can be up to 72 hours delay in reporting cellular data, but after 72 hours with Cellular data off (no need to turn off 3G Data) there should be no more data reported.

If there is still data reported, then either AT&T is trying to rip you off (unlikely) or your sim has been cloned (maybe) or there is some major wierdness on your account (like, it's assigned to two sims, or other bizzare things) or you're pulling your sim out and using it in another device (why would you do such a thing?)

Edit: and three phones nearly two years in on AT&T, no "billing scam" noted here. And I am guessing I am even more techical than you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
42 of 99 (18,607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2012 5:23:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by aymee on Feb 12, 2012 at 5:32:25 PM

it does not mean that since others don't have the same problem that there is NO problem.

there is definitely a huge problem with data usage.  there are tons of threads at apple forums as well regarding the same issue.  sadly/unfortunately, at&t nor apple has taken no ownership of the problem.  hopefully, they could collaborate and look into this issue and provide answers to us, the consumers.

since i've turned off my cellular data, i don't get charged for excessive usage.  it's a proof that my previous usage (over my data plan as they've claimed) was not accurate at all.  i didn't change the way i use my phone and use wi-fi almost all the time.  i haven't reset my cellular usage counter since i got my iphone 4 (july 2010) & as of today (1.5 years worth), it registers sent: 160 mb & received: 1.4 gb.  when i started having this problem after upgrading to ios 5, i got charged for usage over 200 mb in less than a month!  it just doesn't make sense, especially since my peak usage is probably about 70mb (only when away on vacation).

lastly, it does not take a very technical person to notice this problem (although i have 15 yrs experience in telecom.).

it does not mean that since others don't have the same problem that there is NO problem.

there is definitely a huge problem with data usage.  there are tons of threads at apple forums as well regarding the same issue.  sadly/unfortunately, at&t nor apple has taken no ownership of the problem.  hopefully, they could collaborate and look into this issue and provide answers to us, the consumers.

since i've turned off my cellular data, i don't get charged for excessive usage.  it's a proof that my previous usage (over my data plan as they've claimed) was not accurate at all.  i didn't change the way i use my phone and use wi-fi almost all the time.  i haven't reset my cellular usage counter since i got my iphone 4 (july 2010) & as of today (1.5 years worth), it registers sent: 160 mb & received: 1.4 gb.  when i started having this problem after upgrading to ios 5, i got charged for usage over 200 mb in less than a month!  it just doesn't make sense, especially since my peak usage is probably about 70mb (only when away on vacation).

lastly, it does not take a very technical person to notice this problem (although i have 15 yrs experience in telecom.).

[ Edited ]
43 of 99 (18,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2012 5:29:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Unintended wireless use is indeed a problem. People use wireless without understanding that they are, and if they are on the 200-300MB plan they might be surprised to find they've consumed it all with just a few hours of use. Or that they've never gone over, but then one month they do. It's not hard to do it.

AT&T has no way to know what you're doing to use data. Apple COULD put a hard limit control on the amount of data used in a billing period. Or AT&T could offer to cut you off on any month that you would go over. But they don't. All AT&T sees is data packets, they have no way of identifying what you do when you use data. Apple does, but doesn't expose it to end users.

As you said, since you have taken direct control of your wireless, you no longer have any problems with unintended use. This is NOT what the OP is claiming. He claims he is getting charged for use even with cellular data turned off.

That would be quite extraordinary, if it were true.

Unintended wireless use is indeed a problem. People use wireless without understanding that they are, and if they are on the 200-300MB plan they might be surprised to find they've consumed it all with just a few hours of use. Or that they've never gone over, but then one month they do. It's not hard to do it.

AT&T has no way to know what you're doing to use data. Apple COULD put a hard limit control on the amount of data used in a billing period. Or AT&T could offer to cut you off on any month that you would go over. But they don't. All AT&T sees is data packets, they have no way of identifying what you do when you use data. Apple does, but doesn't expose it to end users.

As you said, since you have taken direct control of your wireless, you no longer have any problems with unintended use. This is NOT what the OP is claiming. He claims he is getting charged for use even with cellular data turned off.

That would be quite extraordinary, if it were true.

44 of 99 (18,591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2012 5:40:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

it's probably not an intentional "billing scam" but there's something wrong with how data are being transmitted & recorded (wi-fi vs at&t data).  i haven't checked recently if there's unusual data charges since my bill amount is back to the normal rate & i haven't received any new text msgs about going over.  if i did, then i agree that there's something fishy about it especially since the cellular data is off.  i just hope that if i need to turn on my cellular data again, that i wouldn't have to deal with going over my plan.  i could emphatize with others & it's frustrating when no one could give definite answers or solutions.

it's probably not an intentional "billing scam" but there's something wrong with how data are being transmitted & recorded (wi-fi vs at&t data).  i haven't checked recently if there's unusual data charges since my bill amount is back to the normal rate & i haven't received any new text msgs about going over.  if i did, then i agree that there's something fishy about it especially since the cellular data is off.  i just hope that if i need to turn on my cellular data again, that i wouldn't have to deal with going over my plan.  i could emphatize with others & it's frustrating when no one could give definite answers or solutions.

45 of 99 (18,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2012 5:52:23 PM
(0)
Scholar
There is so called phantom data cases. One such on a phone that was purchased and directly turned off.
There is so called phantom data cases. One such on a phone that was purchased and directly turned off.

46 of 99 (18,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2012 6:25:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

4sskyrocket wrote:

I am intrigued. Is there any actual report somewhere I could read (ie, can you post a link to your source?)

4sskyrocket wrote:

I am intrigued. Is there any actual report somewhere I could read (ie, can you post a link to your source?)

47 of 99 (18,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2012 2:30:49 PM
(0)
Scholar
I've never had this issue on my iPhone
I've almost used up my allowance on my own
Accord this month!

Basically have you turned notifications off
And looked at syncing? Apps like weather or stock
Seem to update abit on the iPhone but going into settings and changing this can help!
I've never had this issue on my iPhone
I've almost used up my allowance on my own
Accord this month!

Basically have you turned notifications off
And looked at syncing? Apps like weather or stock
Seem to update abit on the iPhone but going into settings and changing this can help!

48 of 99 (18,415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2012 6:39:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

I believe I have narrowed down the source of my data overages to video downloads (CrossFit workout demos!) while connected to my home wifi. I base this on looking at my recent usage on the att site, since I show HUGE data usages (like, 145,000 KB) on Saturdays and Sundays. The CrossFit videos are a recent change in my usage.

During the week at work I am unable to connect to any wifi and so daily access to my frequent apps is 3G. I use myfitnesspal, web browsers, email, Outlook Pro, words with friends, etc, and the nightly data totals posted are much more reasonable (10 to 4000 KB per day). Notably, on a week where I was travelling and rarely connected to wifi and using 3G, my peak daily data was 10,500 KB.

While at home, I show to be connected to wifi (the little wifi symbol at the upper left as well as in settings I show to be connected). My primary usage of my phone on the weekends outside of my home is telephone, text, reminders, camera/photo album, stopwatch, along with my favorite apps as previously listed. The only difference is that on the weekends I view the CrossFit workout demos on my phone. I view them on my phone because it is handy and because I am connected to wifi.

As a diagnostic, I turned off Cellular Data. Immediately I noticed that email, apps and videos load MUCH faster with cellular OFF while I am at home. This weekend I am going to download a bunch of CrossFit videos while my cellular is off, then next week review the usage reported by att. What the heck, it's early in the bill cycle!

I have no IT/Network experience whatsoever. I do have extensive experience trouble shooting mechanical troubles and so understand the first step is to verify a problem exists and the next step is to pinpoint the source.

If we can all agree that a problem exists, what could be the source? Could the error be in the device, where for some reason it is using both wifi and 3G, simultaneously?

I have 4S running iOS 5.0.1.

I believe I have narrowed down the source of my data overages to video downloads (CrossFit workout demos!) while connected to my home wifi. I base this on looking at my recent usage on the att site, since I show HUGE data usages (like, 145,000 KB) on Saturdays and Sundays. The CrossFit videos are a recent change in my usage.

During the week at work I am unable to connect to any wifi and so daily access to my frequent apps is 3G. I use myfitnesspal, web browsers, email, Outlook Pro, words with friends, etc, and the nightly data totals posted are much more reasonable (10 to 4000 KB per day). Notably, on a week where I was travelling and rarely connected to wifi and using 3G, my peak daily data was 10,500 KB.

While at home, I show to be connected to wifi (the little wifi symbol at the upper left as well as in settings I show to be connected). My primary usage of my phone on the weekends outside of my home is telephone, text, reminders, camera/photo album, stopwatch, along with my favorite apps as previously listed. The only difference is that on the weekends I view the CrossFit workout demos on my phone. I view them on my phone because it is handy and because I am connected to wifi.

As a diagnostic, I turned off Cellular Data. Immediately I noticed that email, apps and videos load MUCH faster with cellular OFF while I am at home. This weekend I am going to download a bunch of CrossFit videos while my cellular is off, then next week review the usage reported by att. What the heck, it's early in the bill cycle!

I have no IT/Network experience whatsoever. I do have extensive experience trouble shooting mechanical troubles and so understand the first step is to verify a problem exists and the next step is to pinpoint the source.

If we can all agree that a problem exists, what could be the source? Could the error be in the device, where for some reason it is using both wifi and 3G, simultaneously?

I have 4S running iOS 5.0.1.

49 of 99 (18,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2012 8:03:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

There is without a doubt something "wrong" with this system in place of tracking and billing data usage.  What we are all basically being told is that if we want to use our iPhones the way they are actually intended, then we are going to have to pay more for it.  And many of us have been paying more.  I've seen HUGE increases in my data usage for my phone, my wife's phone and my daughter's phone.  

Why did they take the "Unlimited Data" usage away?  Because there is a TON of money to be made now.  AT&T is seeing substantial increased revenue and that part is simple economics for the most part - whether we like it or not.  But it's not right.  I bought iPhones to be able to use them.  I signed up for a Voice/Data plan that fits the needs of my family.  We have all done the right things in making sure nothing extraordinary happens with our usage.  We feel we are using it as it was intended and we were told by both Apple people and AT&T people that the way we use it, we would not see a difference in our monthly bill... but WE ARE!  It's aweful.  

It's sad when we are using one on the most impressive pieces of modern technology, that we paid for, and we can't use it to it's fullest potential without paying even MORE!

OK, I'm off my soapbox.  I'll keep following this thread and others to see if any better results come of it.

There is without a doubt something "wrong" with this system in place of tracking and billing data usage.  What we are all basically being told is that if we want to use our iPhones the way they are actually intended, then we are going to have to pay more for it.  And many of us have been paying more.  I've seen HUGE increases in my data usage for my phone, my wife's phone and my daughter's phone.  

Why did they take the "Unlimited Data" usage away?  Because there is a TON of money to be made now.  AT&T is seeing substantial increased revenue and that part is simple economics for the most part - whether we like it or not.  But it's not right.  I bought iPhones to be able to use them.  I signed up for a Voice/Data plan that fits the needs of my family.  We have all done the right things in making sure nothing extraordinary happens with our usage.  We feel we are using it as it was intended and we were told by both Apple people and AT&T people that the way we use it, we would not see a difference in our monthly bill... but WE ARE!  It's aweful.  

It's sad when we are using one on the most impressive pieces of modern technology, that we paid for, and we can't use it to it's fullest potential without paying even MORE!

OK, I'm off my soapbox.  I'll keep following this thread and others to see if any better results come of it.

50 of 99 (18,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2012 5:51:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Screamus wrote:

Are you on a 200-300MB plan?

Screamus wrote:

Are you on a 200-300MB plan?

51 of 99 (18,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2012 10:11:41 AM
(0)
Tutor
Two lines are on a 200MB plan (mine being one of them) and my wife has unlimited as she was "grandfathered" in from her previous phone and didn't change her plan.
Two lines are on a 200MB plan (mine being one of them) and my wife has unlimited as she was "grandfathered" in from her previous phone and didn't change her plan.

52 of 99 (18,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2012 3:17:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Screamus wrote:

That makes more sense. With the iOS5 upgrade pushing former SMS/MMS data to actual regual data via iMessages, 200MB is going to be pretty tight for anything but the most casual of uses.

Honestly, there shouldn't be a 200MB option - 2-3GB is plenty for all but the most extreme video streamer. 200-300mb you'll need to put a very tight leash on use.

Screamus wrote:

That makes more sense. With the iOS5 upgrade pushing former SMS/MMS data to actual regual data via iMessages, 200MB is going to be pretty tight for anything but the most casual of uses.

Honestly, there shouldn't be a 200MB option - 2-3GB is plenty for all but the most extreme video streamer. 200-300mb you'll need to put a very tight leash on use.

53 of 99 (18,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2012 8:07:41 AM
(0)
Explorer

ishmaelaz wrote:

Chris - Did you ever get a resolution on this? I've got you beat. I have two iPhone 4S units which historically average under 100 MB/Month usage.

Now, AT&T sees about 3 GB/Month - iOS still sees about 100 MB/Month. On both phones! Started March 13th. We also have two iPhone 4 units, and they are not exhibiting the behavior. None have ever been jailbroken, all are on iOS 5.1

I've reset network settings, wiped the phones and set back up, still seeing the behavior.

iOS sees about 3MB per day of cellular data, AT&T reports closer to 100MB per day.

I have tickets open at Apple and AT&T, but so far they're stumped too. Something is hammering the phones with data usage, and iOS Cellular Data isn't detecting it. I know your post is old, but I would love to know if you fixed it - and how.

Thanks!

ishmaelaz wrote:

Chris - Did you ever get a resolution on this? I've got you beat. I have two iPhone 4S units which historically average under 100 MB/Month usage.

Now, AT&T sees about 3 GB/Month - iOS still sees about 100 MB/Month. On both phones! Started March 13th. We also have two iPhone 4 units, and they are not exhibiting the behavior. None have ever been jailbroken, all are on iOS 5.1

I've reset network settings, wiped the phones and set back up, still seeing the behavior.

iOS sees about 3MB per day of cellular data, AT&T reports closer to 100MB per day.

I have tickets open at Apple and AT&T, but so far they're stumped too. Something is hammering the phones with data usage, and iOS Cellular Data isn't detecting it. I know your post is old, but I would love to know if you fixed it - and how.

Thanks!

54 of 99 (17,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 12:58:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dotme wrote:

ishmaelaz wrote:

Thanks!

"Do you have a microcell at home"?

dotme wrote:

ishmaelaz wrote:

Thanks!

"Do you have a microcell at home"?

56 of 99 (17,630 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 8:22:44 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Phil-101 on May 4, 2012 at 1:04:44 PM

The message I replied to was removed.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

The message I replied to was removed.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
55 of 99 (17,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2012 1:15:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

johninsj wrote:

dotme wrote:

ishmaelaz wrote:

I got resolution to this a few days after I reported it here.  I went into my local store ready to cancel service and switch elsewhere.  I spoke to a manager who said there was some form of known problem going on like this.  I don't know what he actually did, but the next day, data usage went back to normal and it has stayed in the expected range ever since.  He also got the overage charge credited back on my account.

Chris

johninsj wrote:

dotme wrote:

ishmaelaz wrote:

I got resolution to this a few days after I reported it here.  I went into my local store ready to cancel service and switch elsewhere.  I spoke to a manager who said there was some form of known problem going on like this.  I don't know what he actually did, but the next day, data usage went back to normal and it has stayed in the expected range ever since.  He also got the overage charge credited back on my account.

Chris

57 of 99 (17,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2012 7:11:13 AM
(0)
Voyager

You're the first person I've found that got a resolution to this issue. Any chance you could find out what the manager did to fix it? Thanks!

You're the first person I've found that got a resolution to this issue. Any chance you could find out what the manager did to fix it? Thanks!

58 of 99 (17,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2012 9:51:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

danwallie wrote:

The problem started when I got my 4s on my accoount and had my previous 4 assigned to my son's account.  I could never find a clue to the particular cause, and the AT&T store manager who helped me last fall didn't elaborate, so unfortunately, I don't know what actually happened to fix it in my case. I'm sorry I don't know more as I definitely understand the frustration of being in this situation.

Chris

danwallie wrote:

The problem started when I got my 4s on my accoount and had my previous 4 assigned to my son's account.  I could never find a clue to the particular cause, and the AT&T store manager who helped me last fall didn't elaborate, so unfortunately, I don't know what actually happened to fix it in my case. I'm sorry I don't know more as I definitely understand the frustration of being in this situation.

Chris

59 of 99 (17,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2012 9:17:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have my Mobile internet service TURNED OFF, yet only owning the phone for 2 weeks I have only 64KB left to use before Dec 11. 2012.  I do only have the 200MB plan. I sure need the bigger pkg. but if I did most of it would be wasted since I am at home most of the time.  I looked online and it seems there is no mobile data being used at home, only my wifi. But wow AT&T you sure make it hard to be your customer. But here in this small town this is THE ONLY SERVICE that works. I have no idea how they did that.  But I am only looking for an app that will tell me how much mobile data I have used. I had a great one on my Android phone, called Killer dog or something like that. LOL But it let me know second by second how much data I had left for each month, it also had a setting that restarted in on my new date that I only had to set once.  How on earth does a phone like IPHONE excel in so many areas, yet the simplest of things are ignored or passed over or what?  It seems to me the people working on the Iphones are so smart they cannot see the logical parts of a cell phone that are needed. Like an arrow back or forth key? Seriously? You have to go back to square one when an arrow key would take care of it?   But I could live with that if they would work with us a little more on the data. But hey we keep paying for it, so they have no worries do they?  I bet their favorite customer is families with teens!

I have my Mobile internet service TURNED OFF, yet only owning the phone for 2 weeks I have only 64KB left to use before Dec 11. 2012.  I do only have the 200MB plan. I sure need the bigger pkg. but if I did most of it would be wasted since I am at home most of the time.  I looked online and it seems there is no mobile data being used at home, only my wifi. But wow AT&T you sure make it hard to be your customer. But here in this small town this is THE ONLY SERVICE that works. I have no idea how they did that.  But I am only looking for an app that will tell me how much mobile data I have used. I had a great one on my Android phone, called Killer dog or something like that. LOL But it let me know second by second how much data I had left for each month, it also had a setting that restarted in on my new date that I only had to set once.  How on earth does a phone like IPHONE excel in so many areas, yet the simplest of things are ignored or passed over or what?  It seems to me the people working on the Iphones are so smart they cannot see the logical parts of a cell phone that are needed. Like an arrow back or forth key? Seriously? You have to go back to square one when an arrow key would take care of it?   But I could live with that if they would work with us a little more on the data. But hey we keep paying for it, so they have no worries do they?  I bet their favorite customer is families with teens!

60 of 99 (14,447 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments