iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

Tutor

iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

Sunday morning, I got a warning text that I had used over 90% of my 2GB cellular data.  I was surprised at that, so I dug through the information, and found something I can't sort out.

I've been using an iPhone 4 since they first came out.  I pulled up my data usage with AT&T online, and over the past year, I have an average data use of 285MB per month, and a peak month of 443MB.

I upgraded to a 4s on October 14, and between that date and November 5, AT&T says that I've used 1967MB in that 3 week span.  I'm using the same apps on my phone, no iCloud synchronization, email set to manual fetch not push, no tethering, I don't listen to music or watch videos on cellular (and rarely on WiFi), and yet somehow I'm suddenly using 6 times more cellular data as was typical before?  My WiFi is set up correctly as home, as I do see the phone switch over to it.  Even then, I mostly use my phone to check email, FaceBook, and text.

 

Things went particular out-of-whack last week, with 414MB on 10/31, 640MB on 11/1, and 687MB on 11/3.

According to the cellular usage in my phone, I've sent 27MB and received 225MB in the same time frame.  I'm included to agree with the phone, as that number is consistent with my standard usage patterns.

I expect some discrepancy between what my phone says I've used and what AT&T says, but 252MB versus 1967MB?

I spent over an hour talking to Apple looking for possible explanations, but the phone was already set correctly.  They handed me off to AT&T, but AT&T only told me that they just know how much data is used, not why, and couldn't explain things.

I've seen a few messages suggesting similar problems.  Has anyone seen similar issues and gone back to try to explain it, only to find similar major discrepancies?

Thanks.

Chris

Message 1 of 99 (26,619 Views)
Voyager

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

I've has a suspicion for a while, based on my daughters phone that something aint' right in Denmark with this data. This month confirmed it on my own phone.

 

  Mid month, I received a notice that I had used 80% of my data. I had been using a little more due to my home internet being down for a couple days, but it certainly didn't seem excessive. I usually only use about half of my plan any given month and I was only mid month at that.

 

   I could not afford to go over, so I turned off cellular data completely and ONLY relied on WiFi, which was a total pain for half the month. I did learn I could easily get my voicemail simply by calling my own number, rather than relying on visual voicemail. Awesome! 

 

 Two weeks later I get a notice that I've indeed used up my entire data plan :/ Worse, when I checked it, I'd actually exceeded it! How on Earth can that be - I've had it switched off completely for the duration of the cycle. I called in. They first tried to sell me a higher plan to cover it. Then they put me on hold and 'researched it' and found I had not used any data at all in the time period my phone was off - ahem. So they credited me with the upcharge. 

 

   I predict a class-action suit on this. Funny how they made it a point to state it was an isolated incident, a 'glitch' they called it. Oddly, I'm not the only 'glitch' out there.

 

  While on one hand, ATT has been great with any issue I had and in the end have made it right, and I appreciate that, greatly.  I feel there is a real and concerted cloaked movement to bilk us on the data, however; It's not an accident. How many people just pay the overage and never call in? There is no way for us to really know how much data we're actually using. There is no real way to completely and precisely monitor it on our own. I'm hoping that ATT will either step up and find a way to allow us to see exact usage (which still has room for exploit) or that they'll be forced to be transparent in some major way with this. Then again, they may just blame the iPhone design and we'll be the unwitting pawns in their game for quite a while. Regardless, I expect data bilking to explode in the media at some point - we are not alone. 

Message 61 of 99 (5,758 Views)
Expert

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage


AnniB wrote:

I've has a suspicion for a while, based on my daughters phone that something aint' right in Denmark with this data. This month confirmed it on my own phone.

 

  Mid month, I received a notice that I had used 80% of my data. I had been using a little more due to my home internet being down for a couple days, but it certainly didn't seem excessive. I usually only use about half of my plan any given month and I was only mid month at that.

 

   I could not afford to go over, so I turned off cellular data completely and ONLY relied on WiFi, which was a total pain for half the month. I did learn I could easily get my voicemail simply by calling my own number, rather than relying on visual voicemail. Awesome! 

 

 Two weeks later I get a notice that I've indeed used up my entire data plan :/ Worse, when I checked it, I'd actually exceeded it! How on Earth can that be - I've had it switched off completely for the duration of the cycle. I called in. They first tried to sell me a higher plan to cover it. Then they put me on hold and 'researched it' and found I had not used any data at all in the time period my phone was off - ahem. So they credited me with the upcharge. 

 

   I predict a class-action suit on this. Funny how they made it a point to state it was an isolated incident, a 'glitch' they called it. Oddly, I'm not the only 'glitch' out there.

 

  While on one hand, ATT has been great with any issue I had and in the end have made it right, and I appreciate that, greatly.  I feel there is a real and concerted cloaked movement to bilk us on the data, however; It's not an accident. How many people just pay the overage and never call in? There is no way for us to really know how much data we're actually using. There is no real way to completely and precisely monitor it on our own. I'm hoping that ATT will either step up and find a way to allow us to see exact usage (which still has room for exploit) or that they'll be forced to be transparent in some major way with this. Then again, they may just blame the iPhone design and we'll be the unwitting pawns in their game for quite a while. Regardless, I expect data bilking to explode in the media at some point - we are not alone. 


curious theory - one thing - how do you explain this in the scope of things? 4S with latest version of IOS

 

Message 62 of 99 (5,742 Views)
Scholar

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

Ditto. Same issue here. I just went over for the first time EVER.

 

My usage has not changed.  IOS5 changed.

Message 63 of 99 (5,738 Views)
Mentor

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

How did you get the Tether data option to pop up on your iPhone 4S?

Message 64 of 99 (5,656 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage


mike2854 wrote:

How did you get the Tether data option to pop up on your iPhone 4S?


on the usage screen it is always there, to get it to functin correctly for tethering you need a data plan that allows tethering - the 5GB plan or mobile share

Message 65 of 99 (5,651 Views)
Mentor

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

[ Edited ]

I have the 3GB plan, but I am presuming mobile share is an app of some sort.  I had a Samsung non smart phone previously and Mobile Share was built in. 

 

It is not on my usage screen, never has been.

Message 66 of 99 (5,644 Views)
Expert

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

[ Edited ]

mike2854 wrote:

I have the 3GB plan, but I am presuming mobile share is an app of some sort.  I had a Samsung non smart phone previously and Mobile Share was built in. 

 

It is not on my usage screen, never has been.


it is on mine, and a all of my employees phones

Message 67 of 99 (5,623 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage


mike2854 wrote:

I have the 3GB plan, but I am presuming mobile share is an app of some sort.  I had a Samsung non smart phone previously and Mobile Share was built in. 

 

It is not on my usage screen, never has been.


No, mobile share is not an app. It is the new voice/text/data plan that allows you to share data across multiple devices. In order to enable hotspot/tethering on your iphone, you must either have the 5GB individual plan or one of the mobile share plans as hotspot/tethering is included in any mobile share plan. The hotspot/tether option is under Settings/General/Cellular. At the bottom of that screen you should see "Set Up Persoan Hotspot".

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 68 of 99 (5,616 Views)
Scholar

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

[ Edited ]

wingrider01 wrote:

mike2854 wrote:

I have the 3GB plan, but I am presuming mobile share is an app of some sort.  I had a Samsung non smart phone previously and Mobile Share was built in. 

 

It is not on my usage screen, never has been.


it is on mine, and a all of my employees phones


I assume all of your phones are iPhone 4S, 4, and/or 3GS because I most definitely do not see a "Tether Data" usage section when I go to Settings -> General -> Usage -> Cellular Usage on my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.1; the only sections I see displayed under Cellular Usage are "Call Time" and "Cellular Network Data".  I don't have my iPhone 4 (running iOS 5.1.1) on me at the moment--otherwise I'd be able to tell you right now if it's on there as well.

 

Not sure what point you're trying to make by saying that it's "always" there--it's either there or it's not, especially given the other guy's comment about how it's not there on his phone, and that it's not there on my iPhone either.

Message 69 of 99 (5,596 Views)
Expert

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage


jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mike2854 wrote:

I have the 3GB plan, but I am presuming mobile share is an app of some sort.  I had a Samsung non smart phone previously and Mobile Share was built in. 

 

It is not on my usage screen, never has been.


it is on mine, and a all of my employees phones


I assume all of your phones are iPhone 4S, 4, and/or 3GS because I most definitely do not see a "Tether Data" usage section when I go to Settings -> General -> Usage -> Cellular Usage on my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.1; the only sections I see displayed under Cellular Usage are "Call Time" and "Cellular Network Data".  I don't have my iPhone 4 (running iOS 5.1.1) on me at the moment--otherwise I'd be able to tell you right now if it's on there as well.

 

Not sure what point you're trying to make by saying that it's "always" there--it's either there or it's not, especially given the other guy's comment about how it's not there on his phone, and that it's not there on my iPhone either.


possible becasue the phones are unlocked also, as for as 4/4S, that is the title of this discussin. Doesn;t matter anyway, the simple fact that the tether is there or not there has no bearing, the phone was reset 10/02 and ther is no indication of excessive data use and it fits the criteria

Message 70 of 99 (5,590 Views)
Scholar

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

No idea about the others, but as for me NOT jailbroken. NOt unlocked. Iphone 5 IOS6. Excessive data usage. I predict it will be determined that there's extensive data leakage while the phone is asleep (mine uses several MB overnight) and that wifi isn't working as it should. I just had another huge leap, while on wifi....supposedly...
Message 71 of 99 (5,564 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage


the gryphon wrote:
No idea about the others, but as for me NOT jailbroken. NOt unlocked. Iphone 5 IOS6. Excessive data usage. I predict it will be determined that there's extensive data leakage while the phone is asleep (mine uses several MB overnight) and that wifi isn't working as it should. I just had another huge leap, while on wifi....supposedly...

I have noted, and reported to Apple, that my iPhone 5 (and at least one other) does *not* keep wifi on when asleep and connected to external power.  My iPhone 4 which has been upgraded to iOS 6 and subsequently iOS 6.0.1  does seem to keep the wifi on when connected to external power, but my iPhone 5 does not.  This can be tested easily by hitting the wake/sleep button on the iPhone 5 after it has been connected to external power and asleep for an hour or so.  For me, the screen comes on immediately showing a 4G connection, which then quickly re-connects to wifi.  On my iPhone 4, the screen comes up immediately connected to wifi.


Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 72 of 99 (5,539 Views)
Scholar

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

[ Edited ]

wingrider01 wrote:

jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mike2854 wrote:

I have the 3GB plan, but I am presuming mobile share is an app of some sort.  I had a Samsung non smart phone previously and Mobile Share was built in. 

 

It is not on my usage screen, never has been.


it is on mine, and a all of my employees phones


I assume all of your phones are iPhone 4S, 4, and/or 3GS because I most definitely do not see a "Tether Data" usage section when I go to Settings -> General -> Usage -> Cellular Usage on my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.1; the only sections I see displayed under Cellular Usage are "Call Time" and "Cellular Network Data".  I don't have my iPhone 4 (running iOS 5.1.1) on me at the moment--otherwise I'd be able to tell you right now if it's on there as well.

 

Not sure what point you're trying to make by saying that it's "always" there--it's either there or it's not, especially given the other guy's comment about how it's not there on his phone, and that it's not there on my iPhone either.


possible becasue the phones are unlocked also, as for as 4/4S, that is the title of this discussin. Doesn;t matter anyway, the simple fact that the tether is there or not there has no bearing, the phone was reset 10/02 and ther is no indication of excessive data use and it fits the criteria


No, that just means your phone doesn't use a lot of cellular data--that in itself doesn't mean that there absolutely must be no excessive data usage issue/problem whatsoever.

 

You're right about one thing though--there is definitely no indication of excessive data usage in your case...in fact, it's quite the opposite--it's an indication of very little data usageSmiley Wink

Message 73 of 99 (5,522 Views)
Expert

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

[ Edited ]

jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mike2854 wrote:

I have the 3GB plan, but I am presuming mobile share is an app of some sort.  I had a Samsung non smart phone previously and Mobile Share was built in. 

 

It is not on my usage screen, never has been.


it is on mine, and a all of my employees phones


I assume all of your phones are iPhone 4S, 4, and/or 3GS because I most definitely do not see a "Tether Data" usage section when I go to Settings -> General -> Usage -> Cellular Usage on my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.1; the only sections I see displayed under Cellular Usage are "Call Time" and "Cellular Network Data".  I don't have my iPhone 4 (running iOS 5.1.1) on me at the moment--otherwise I'd be able to tell you right now if it's on there as well.

 

Not sure what point you're trying to make by saying that it's "always" there--it's either there or it's not, especially given the other guy's comment about how it's not there on his phone, and that it's not there on my iPhone either.


possible becasue the phones are unlocked also, as for as 4/4S, that is the title of this discussin. Doesn;t matter anyway, the simple fact that the tether is there or not there has no bearing, the phone was reset 10/02 and ther is no indication of excessive data use and it fits the criteria


No, that just means your phone doesn't use a lot of cellular data--that in itself doesn't mean that there absolutely must be no excessive data usage issue/problem whatsoever.

 

You're right about one thing though--there is definitely no indication of excessive data usage in your case...in fact, it's quite the opposite--it's an indication of very little data usageSmiley Wink


No it means it is NOT a universal issue and more then likely something  a setting on the phone or a series of apps that are installed on the phone that continously run data while there. The phone only has a naviagtaion app and inhouse written apps installed and exchange email set up for it that averages 500 - 800 emails a day for business purproses, these are corporate phones and asolutley no app is loaded that is not vetting and approved by my people that are requied for business.

 

Bottom line - start looking at the settings and apps, reset the phone to new status, run with it like that for 3 or 4 weeks, note data usage, then start adding each and every app you use one at a time with a data monitoring period to determine what it is.

 

Actually thanks for proving the point that it is not the  phone but some apps that are in use - as mentioned the phones have no unapproved 3rd party apps installed so by your comment of "You're right about one thing though--there is definitely no indication of excessive data usage in your case...in fact, it's quite the opposite--it's an indication of very little data usage" you just gave a vlaidation to the simple fact is is a single common app or a series of apps that are causing the excessive data use. So start you investigation to narrow down which of the apps on your phone is causing it

Message 74 of 99 (5,500 Views)
Mentor

Re: iPhone 4s excessive cellular data usage

I do not have a personal hotspot set up, but if I select the option to set up one, it forces me to call AT&T or go to a particular website.

 

If the 5GB theory is the logic for not having the tethering data readout, then that's fine.   3GB is all I really need, I rely on wi-fi for the most part for data.

Message 75 of 99 (5,489 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.