Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forums

Posted Dec 5, 2013
8:21:13 AM
View profile
iPhone 4s Wifi greyed out

Since last weekend I have been unable to use Wifi (option is greyed out) or Bluetooth on my iPhone 4s. I have looked on several websites including Apple to see that this is a known issue occuring after upgrading the phone to iOs 7. I have followed Apple's instructions on dealing with this problem (General-Network Reset) and some other suggestions but nothing works. I am pretty sure that I am out of warranty and not eligible for a phone upgrade untill next year. What are my options?

Thanks,

Richard

Since last weekend I have been unable to use Wifi (option is greyed out) or Bluetooth on my iPhone 4s. I have looked on several websites including Apple to see that this is a known issue occuring after upgrading the phone to iOs 7. I have followed Apple's instructions on dealing with this problem (General-Network Reset) and some other suggestions but nothing works. I am pretty sure that I am out of warranty and not eligible for a phone upgrade untill next year. What are my options?

Thanks,

Richard

iPhone 4s Wifi greyed out

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 8:32:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Have you tried a software restore? That is one of the recommended fixes.
Otherwise contact Apple. They do have an out of warranty replacement program.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Have you tried a software restore? That is one of the recommended fixes.
Otherwise contact Apple. They do have an out of warranty replacement program.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 4s Wifi greyed out

2 of 11 (2,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 9:10:13 AM
(0)
Employee

Try to restore it, other than that, you're going to have to call apple. They will fix it for you.

Try to restore it, other than that, you're going to have to call apple. They will fix it for you.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 11 (2,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 10:57:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

A quick update. I first went to the local AT and T store. They weren't of much help and kept on persuading me to sign up for the  AT and T Next program. I tried Apple support (first chat and then phone) who walked me through some steps. Nothing worked. Since my phone is out of warranty they want $199 to fix or replace it. Seeing there are so many out there with the same problems I'm hesitant to do this. Not many options left but to wait till I can upgrade. After this experience I will doubt that it will be an Apple product.

A quick update. I first went to the local AT and T store. They weren't of much help and kept on persuading me to sign up for the  AT and T Next program. I tried Apple support (first chat and then phone) who walked me through some steps. Nothing worked. Since my phone is out of warranty they want $199 to fix or replace it. Seeing there are so many out there with the same problems I'm hesitant to do this. Not many options left but to wait till I can upgrade. After this experience I will doubt that it will be an Apple product.

4 of 11 (2,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 11:20:27 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Dec 10, 2013 at 11:21:01 AM

riktuin wrote:

have you tried setting the device up as a new phone with no restore? Be warned that you will lose everything on the phone by trying this

riktuin wrote:

have you tried setting the device up as a new phone with no restore? Be warned that you will lose everything on the phone by trying this

[ Edited ]
5 of 11 (2,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 11:50:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, we did when talking with Apple. It didn't work.

Yes, we did when talking with Apple. It didn't work.

6 of 11 (2,169 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 12:31:40 PM
(0)
Professor

Sounds like the wifi antenna died. This happened to one of our phones. Since it's out of warranty, you can try fixing it yourself. You can but the part online for under $20 and there are several how-to videos out there. It's pretty simple.

Sounds like the wifi antenna died. This happened to one of our phones. Since it's out of warranty, you can try fixing it yourself. You can but the part online for under $20 and there are several how-to videos out there. It's pretty simple.

7 of 11 (2,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2014 1:06:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

In the end I talked to AT and T on the phone and after listening to my story they decided to waive my upgrade eligibility period. They shipped me a new iPhone 5s overnight. This time I decided to splurge the extra cash for Applecare+.....

Richard

In the end I talked to AT and T on the phone and after listening to my story they decided to waive my upgrade eligibility period. They shipped me a new iPhone 5s overnight. This time I decided to splurge the extra cash for Applecare+.....

Richard

8 of 11 (1,883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 8:00:03 PM
(0)
Master
Thanks for the update. AppleCare+ can be a lifesaver.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Thanks for the update. AppleCare+ can be a lifesaver.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

9 of 11 (1,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 5:55:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have had almost exactly the sme issue as the original poster and can get no satisfaction from ATT. I do not live near an Apple store, so I cannot even get offered the option to pay $199 to fix or replace. It is October before I am eligible for upgrade, if ATT would,waive the time I would go ahead and upgrade and buy new.

I have had almost exactly the sme issue as the original poster and can get no satisfaction from ATT. I do not live near an Apple store, so I cannot even get offered the option to pay $199 to fix or replace. It is October before I am eligible for upgrade, if ATT would,waive the time I would go ahead and upgrade and buy new.

10 of 11 (1,236 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 6:28:48 AM
(0)
Expert

spedsyl wrote:

I doubt you would be offered the 199.00 upgrade price but you might be eligible for a upgrade through the Next program. The Next program is basicly you pay full retail for the device over a 20 or 26 month period, but you can upgrade again in as little as 12 months with teh 20 month program - you would be required to return the current phone in undamged condition and fully working

spedsyl wrote:

I doubt you would be offered the 199.00 upgrade price but you might be eligible for a upgrade through the Next program. The Next program is basicly you pay full retail for the device over a 20 or 26 month period, but you can upgrade again in as little as 12 months with teh 20 month program - you would be required to return the current phone in undamged condition and fully working

11 of 11 (1,206 Views)