Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 13, 2013
6:08:00 PM
iPhone 4S blacklisted?
Okay I have tried everything. I recently bought an iPhone 4S off Craigslist for $300 and was going to use it on net10. I bought the necessary SIM card and $50 activation card and activated it on the network. About a week later I started getting messages when I called out that the phone has been restricted from network use and to contact the provider. I contacted net10 and they did everything they could and nothing worked. They told me I would probably have to contact the original carrier and see I it has been blacklisted after I purchase it. My wife and I just had a baby and cannot afford to have a $300 paper weight.
Okay I have tried everything. I recently bought an iPhone 4S off Craigslist for $300 and was going to use it on net10. I bought the necessary SIM card and $50 activation card and activated it on the network. About a week later I started getting messages when I called out that the phone has been restricted from network use and to contact the provider. I contacted net10 and they did everything they could and nothing worked. They told me I would probably have to contact the original carrier and see I it has been blacklisted after I purchase it. My wife and I just had a baby and cannot afford to have a $300 paper weight.

iPhone 4S blacklisted?

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2013 8:24:26 PM
(0)
Scholar
Unfortunately that is a risk you take when you purchase a phone off CL or eBay.

Did you update the software and possibly undo a jailbreak?
Unfortunately that is a risk you take when you purchase a phone off CL or eBay.

Did you update the software and possibly undo a jailbreak?

Re: iPhone 4S blacklisted?

2 of 18 (14,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2013 8:31:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
I updated the software but it isn't jailbroke. I'm not even 100% sure about it being on the blacklist. I did get a factory unlock from AT&T and it said it was successful. But it still wouldn't work.
I updated the software but it isn't jailbroke. I'm not even 100% sure about it being on the blacklist. I did get a factory unlock from AT&T and it said it was successful. But it still wouldn't work.

3 of 18 (14,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2013 3:31:30 AM
(0)
Scholar
My understanding is that AT&T doesn't blacklist phones.

Sounds like an issue with Net10 not wanting to play well with iPhones. Have you done a google search to see if any solutions pop up?

Sounds like an issue with Net10 not wanting to play well with iPhones. Have you done a google search to see if any solutions pop up?

4 of 18 (14,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2013 5:27:32 AM
(0)
Expert

gphipps wrote:

ATT does indeed blacklist phones if the original owner calls in an reports the phone as stolen.

Not familiarwith Net 10 but all ATT iphones are locked to ATT and will require the phone to be unlocked. The unlock process can only be done by the person that had the phone when it was on att service or it was purchased from a autorhorized retailer at full retail price - craigs list is not a authorized dealer and 300 is not the full retail price.

gphipps wrote:

ATT does indeed blacklist phones if the original owner calls in an reports the phone as stolen.

Not familiarwith Net 10 but all ATT iphones are locked to ATT and will require the phone to be unlocked. The unlock process can only be done by the person that had the phone when it was on att service or it was purchased from a autorhorized retailer at full retail price - craigs list is not a authorized dealer and 300 is not the full retail price.

5 of 18 (14,258 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2013 6:41:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
How do I even know if the guy I bought it from reported it lost or stolen? I'm not 100% sure it's on the blacklist or not. But if it is, is there anything that can be done? I tried contacting the guy from Craigslist and he hasn't replied and his phone is disconnected. I have unlocked it through AT&T and they said it was successfully unlocked but still wont work. also, I looked up the phone info with the IMEI and serial number and its under warranty until November. Is there anything I can do to get this phone working again?
How do I even know if the guy I bought it from reported it lost or stolen? I'm not 100% sure it's on the blacklist or not. But if it is, is there anything that can be done? I tried contacting the guy from Craigslist and he hasn't replied and his phone is disconnected. I have unlocked it through AT&T and they said it was successfully unlocked but still wont work. also, I looked up the phone info with the IMEI and serial number and its under warranty until November. Is there anything I can do to get this phone working again?

6 of 18 (14,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2013 6:52:14 PM
(0)
Scholar
If his number is disconnected and he's not responding to email I think you got taken. Sounds like the phone was stolen and the original owner has reported it stolen.

Not sure how you got it unlocked though AT&T if you're not the original owner.
If his number is disconnected and he's not responding to email I think you got taken. Sounds like the phone was stolen and the original owner has reported it stolen.

Not sure how you got it unlocked though AT&T if you're not the original owner.

7 of 18 (14,185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2013 7:24:26 PM
(0)
Tutor
I think a few people have gotten me. I'm new to the iPhone an did not know you had to be the original owner to unlock it. I just thought the phone had to be originally bought before January. This one was bought in November. I went through, what I thought was a credible website, to unlock the iPhone for some money and they said that they go straight to AT&T to have it unlocked and that I would get an email confirming it from AT&T. Now that I look back the people from the website said they forgot to request the confirmation email to be sent to my email and forwarded it from theirs. So it probably wasn't even unlocked. So that brings up the question if its just not unlocked and that's why it isn't working or if its in fact blacklisted. Is there a policy to where if this happens can anything be done?
I think a few people have gotten me. I'm new to the iPhone an did not know you had to be the original owner to unlock it. I just thought the phone had to be originally bought before January. This one was bought in November. I went through, what I thought was a credible website, to unlock the iPhone for some money and they said that they go straight to AT&T to have it unlocked and that I would get an email confirming it from AT&T. Now that I look back the people from the website said they forgot to request the confirmation email to be sent to my email and forwarded it from theirs. So it probably wasn't even unlocked. So that brings up the question if its just not unlocked and that's why it isn't working or if its in fact blacklisted. Is there a policy to where if this happens can anything be done?

8 of 18 (14,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2013 8:04:03 PM
(0)
Master
If they did request an actual unlock, have ou performed a restore via tunes? It is during that process that the unlock gets applied.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
If they did request an actual unlock, have ou performed a restore via tunes? It is during that process that the unlock gets applied.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

9 of 18 (14,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2013 9:57:22 PM
(0)
Tutor
I did go into iTunes and I got the congratulations message. That means it has been unlocked for sure right? Even though I'm not the original owner nor paid full price for it? Is there a website or someone who can tell me if my iphone is blacklisted for sure or not? I've looked around but they all want to charge $10-$15 just to check.
I did go into iTunes and I got the congratulations message. That means it has been unlocked for sure right? Even though I'm not the original owner nor paid full price for it? Is there a website or someone who can tell me if my iphone is blacklisted for sure or not? I've looked around but they all want to charge $10-$15 just to check.

10 of 18 (14,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2013 10:41:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, the message means it has been unlocked, for sure. You don't get that message until iTunes succesfully downloads and installs another carrier's firmware onto the iPhone, which wouldn't happen if it was locked.

It really sounds like the phone was blacklisted. The only way the blacklist could be removed legitimately would have to be done by the original owner.

I beg people all the time, don't buy phones from Craigslist, ever. It's always almost certainly a scam. Scammers sell the phone for more than the deductible, file a stolen claim which blacklists the phone, pay the deductible, and end up with the same phone plus a hundred or two dollars. The deductible for an iPhone 4s is $199, so whoever sold it just made $101.

Yes, the message means it has been unlocked, for sure. You don't get that message until iTunes succesfully downloads and installs another carrier's firmware onto the iPhone, which wouldn't happen if it was locked.

It really sounds like the phone was blacklisted. The only way the blacklist could be removed legitimately would have to be done by the original owner.

I beg people all the time, don't buy phones from Craigslist, ever. It's always almost certainly a scam. Scammers sell the phone for more than the deductible, file a stolen claim which blacklists the phone, pay the deductible, and end up with the same phone plus a hundred or two dollars. The deductible for an iPhone 4s is $199, so whoever sold it just made $101.

11 of 18 (14,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2013 4:22:49 AM
(0)
Expert

Garrett_seven wrote:

you are right a few people / organizations have gotten you, the website that claimed they went to att to get the unlock, it does not work that way as you have already been informed. They did not forget anything, they can;t do that to unlock a iphone.

did you try and activte the phone on ATT's network? Suspect that if the phone has been reported stolen or lost on att's network then it is blacklisted, you might want to follow up with att and actually ask them about the status of the device. If it is listed as stolen then you need to contact the proper authorities to handle the issue.

Garrett_seven wrote:

you are right a few people / organizations have gotten you, the website that claimed they went to att to get the unlock, it does not work that way as you have already been informed. They did not forget anything, they can;t do that to unlock a iphone.

did you try and activte the phone on ATT's network? Suspect that if the phone has been reported stolen or lost on att's network then it is blacklisted, you might want to follow up with att and actually ask them about the status of the device. If it is listed as stolen then you need to contact the proper authorities to handle the issue.

12 of 18 (14,109 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2013 8:14:52 AM
(0)
Scholar
Maybe it was jail broken when you got it but cos u updated it u lost that privilege.

Contact AT&T on there till free number
Ask them to check the imei of the phone for u
I'm sure they will tell you if the phone is blacklisted
That way or not!

If it is ur options are resell it keep as a iPod
Or try and rejailbreak it again Smiley Wink

Goodluck Smiley Wink
Maybe it was jail broken when you got it but cos u updated it u lost that privilege.

Contact AT&T on there till free number
Ask them to check the imei of the phone for u
I'm sure they will tell you if the phone is blacklisted
That way or not!

If it is ur options are resell it keep as a iPod
Or try and rejailbreak it again Smiley Wink

Goodluck Smiley Wink

13 of 18 (13,945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 6:22:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

My husband and I have a joint account but have been seperated since November 2013. I started a transfer of service for my iPhone 4S and then my husband reported my iphone as stolen. So it was cut off and blacklisted. I have the proof the phone was purchased by my company under my name from Fry's and shows I activated it under AT&T the same day it was purchased. Again... MY NAME. MY COMPANY CARD with MY NAME. RECEIPT with matching IMEI number in MY NAME. Despite the fact the IMEI number on the receipt and the iPhone matches and despite that the receipt shows I personally activated it on AT&T, they absolutely refuse to unblacklist the phone. Effectively allowing my husband to steal property that does not belong to him while telling me they can't do anything about it.

This is supposed to be a feature that protects people from REAL theives... but it is actually allowing someone to steal from me and AT&T just shrugs and says "oh, well"?!?!?!

I have been an AT&T customer for almost 10 years. After this, I will never use AT&T again unless they do the right thing.    

My husband and I have a joint account but have been seperated since November 2013. I started a transfer of service for my iPhone 4S and then my husband reported my iphone as stolen. So it was cut off and blacklisted. I have the proof the phone was purchased by my company under my name from Fry's and shows I activated it under AT&T the same day it was purchased. Again... MY NAME. MY COMPANY CARD with MY NAME. RECEIPT with matching IMEI number in MY NAME. Despite the fact the IMEI number on the receipt and the iPhone matches and despite that the receipt shows I personally activated it on AT&T, they absolutely refuse to unblacklist the phone. Effectively allowing my husband to steal property that does not belong to him while telling me they can't do anything about it.

This is supposed to be a feature that protects people from REAL theives... but it is actually allowing someone to steal from me and AT&T just shrugs and says "oh, well"?!?!?!

I have been an AT&T customer for almost 10 years. After this, I will never use AT&T again unless they do the right thing.    

14 of 18 (4,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 12:14:20 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Richmond Dan on Apr 16, 2014 at 12:15:20 PM

Sounds to me as though your husband has committed some sort of crime by reporting it as stolen when it wasn't.  Perhaps you should talk to your lawyer.  I don't see that AT&T has done anything wrong by refusing to get in the middle of a domestic dispute.

Sounds to me as though your husband has committed some sort of crime by reporting it as stolen when it wasn't.  Perhaps you should talk to your lawyer.  I don't see that AT&T has done anything wrong by refusing to get in the middle of a domestic dispute.

[ Edited ]
15 of 18 (4,747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 12:56:01 PM
(0)
Employee

Hey GwynnG

The person who had the phone active on the account is typically considered the owner, regardless of the purchase history of the phone.

Previous owners are given priority.

If someone lost their phone, and was didn't report immediately, because they were being hopeful about finding it, AT&T doesnt want to penalize them if a thief already activated it, but at the same time, it breaks privacy codes to provide the information about the person using the stolen phone.

Ultimately, only the original owner who reported it stolen, can request it unblocklisted.

I suspect that blacklisting the phone can be considered a type of damage.

How do we knew that you didn't gift him the phone, and now stole it back?

I'm not saying that to impugn you in any way, but the burden is on you to prove that he essentially damaged a phone for which you were the current/new owner.

-Alex

Hey GwynnG

The person who had the phone active on the account is typically considered the owner, regardless of the purchase history of the phone.

Previous owners are given priority.

If someone lost their phone, and was didn't report immediately, because they were being hopeful about finding it, AT&T doesnt want to penalize them if a thief already activated it, but at the same time, it breaks privacy codes to provide the information about the person using the stolen phone.

Ultimately, only the original owner who reported it stolen, can request it unblocklisted.

I suspect that blacklisting the phone can be considered a type of damage.

How do we knew that you didn't gift him the phone, and now stole it back?

I'm not saying that to impugn you in any way, but the burden is on you to prove that he essentially damaged a phone for which you were the current/new owner.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

16 of 18 (4,740 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2016 9:47:00 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on May 14, 2016 at 9:54:07 AM

I recently sold my iPhone 6+, it work for that person for 2 weeks and all of a sudden AT&T put it on black list. I bought that phone directly from Apple and never put on lost mode - recently I paid off all my final balance and will never deal with AT&T. I don't understand why AT&T put black list on a phone. And I don't have any account anymore with AT&T - calling them it's like the worst experience especially after their merger with DirecTV.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

I recently sold my iPhone 6+, it work for that person for 2 weeks and all of a sudden AT&T put it on black list. I bought that phone directly from Apple and never put on lost mode - recently I paid off all my final balance and will never deal with AT&T. I don't understand why AT&T put black list on a phone. And I don't have any account anymore with AT&T - calling them it's like the worst experience especially after their merger with DirecTV.

[ Edited ]
17 of 18 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2016 10:04:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@Zanjabil

Zanjabil wrote:

I doubt this story.  

The purchaser may not be telling you the truth or you aren't telling us the whole story

Only the account owner, or phone owner, with phone information (IMEI) can blacklist a phone.  

If you had a phone replaced with insurance, it then belongs to the insurance company and they can blacklist it.  ATT doesn't blacklist unless requested.

I think there is more to the story. 

We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information

@Zanjabil

Zanjabil wrote:

I doubt this story.  

The purchaser may not be telling you the truth or you aren't telling us the whole story

Only the account owner, or phone owner, with phone information (IMEI) can blacklist a phone.  

If you had a phone replaced with insurance, it then belongs to the insurance company and they can blacklist it.  ATT doesn't blacklist unless requested.

I think there is more to the story. 

We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information
We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

18 of 18 (517 Views)