iPhone 4 water damage advice?

Tutor

iPhone 4 water damage advice?

Well I recently dropped my iPhone 4 into water, yes i know spare me. Anyways, I quickly dried the surface but it turned off immediately so I didnt have a chance to turn it off. I left it in bag of rice for about 5 days I then connected it to a laptop and surprisingly the computer recognized the phone. However it stated that the phone was in recovery mode and needed to be restored to be used. I did this but after trying to restore the computer would run into a problem and say the phone couldnt be restored. I tried several times but no luck. The error number i almost always get is 1600, about 3 times i got error 2005, but mostly its the former.

Well I just wanted to ask, can this be fixed? Is there any way the phone can be forced to restore? Can i have it fixed or is it basically dead?

Thanks

Message 1 of 24 (73,328 Views)
Guru

Re: iPhone 4 water damage advice?

I am so sorry.  My daughter left her iPhone 4 on the back platform of a boat while it sped across a lake.  While it was wet, it still works fine.  Not sure what you can do except wait and give it more time.

Message 2 of 24 (73,308 Views)
Scholar

OR you can go to the Apple store and get a new one for $200.

Message 3 of 24 (73,289 Views)
Mentor

Correct me if im wrong, but apple will fix that for free! just call them up and schedule a repair

Message 4 of 24 (73,283 Views)
Mentor

if it is in error 1600 you can use a program called "recboot" its for mac and it should kick the phone out of recovery screen. Try that and see if it works.

Message 5 of 24 (73,282 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 24 (73,282 Views)
Mentor

oh i think its only if you have the apple care plan

Message 7 of 24 (73,246 Views)
Scholar

read somewhere if you restore with your sim card out it will solve the 2005 error

Message 8 of 24 (73,224 Views)
Mentor

The applecare warranty covers defects like the screen starts flickering for no reason. Its does not cover damage caused by you. Like dropping it in water, cracking the screen. If you take the phone into a apple store or call apple and send it in then will stick a light in the top of the phone headphone jack and dock connecter to look and see if the water sensors are active if they are then the warranty is void even if you payed for applecare. 

Message 9 of 24 (73,188 Views)
Guru

My daughter got her iphone replaced under the Apple Care plan.  She was given the phone and the original owner had the Apple plan.  Twelve days after she got it, a child ran up to her and gave her a hug, knocking the phone out of her hand.  The screen shattered.  My daughter called Apple, told them what happened and they said the phone was covered under the plan.  She explained about being given the phone, but they said that according to their records, the phone was still covered.  So for $99 she got another phone as the one she had was too badly damaged to be repaired.  You never know...

Message 10 of 24 (73,135 Views)
Teacher

I have heard of a lot of people taking out the battery and SIM  and putting them all in a container of rice for a day or so and it dries everything out. Haven't tried it but people swear by it..

Message 11 of 24 (55,459 Views)
Expert

jtrizno wrote:

I have heard of a lot of people taking out the battery and SIM  and putting them all in a container of rice for a day or so and it dries everything out. Haven't tried it but people swear by it..

battery cannot be taken out of the Iphone.

Message 12 of 24 (55,432 Views)
Mentor

She got a new one but she had to pay for it. I have applecare and I am on my third iphone, because they had defects. And I did not have to pay anything at all.

Message 13 of 24 (55,398 Views)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

jtrizno wrote:

battery cannot be taken out of the Iphone.

If you are not all thumbs and like the thrill of victory, you can try this link.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/1

Message 14 of 24 (55,368 Views)
Tutor

these guys can repair it for more info 888-990-7555 or www.BrokeMyiPhone.com

they fixed mine after i dropped it in the pool

Message 15 of 24 (54,748 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support