Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 21, 2010
7:00:16 PM
iPhone 4 water damage advice?

Well I recently dropped my iPhone 4 into water, yes i know spare me. Anyways, I quickly dried the surface but it turned off immediately so I didnt have a chance to turn it off. I left it in bag of rice for about 5 days I then connected it to a laptop and surprisingly the computer recognized the phone. However it stated that the phone was in recovery mode and needed to be restored to be used. I did this but after trying to restore the computer would run into a problem and say the phone couldnt be restored. I tried several times but no luck. The error number i almost always get is 1600, about 3 times i got error 2005, but mostly its the former.

Well I just wanted to ask, can this be fixed? Is there any way the phone can be forced to restore? Can i have it fixed or is it basically dead?

Thanks

Well I recently dropped my iPhone 4 into water, yes i know spare me. Anyways, I quickly dried the surface but it turned off immediately so I didnt have a chance to turn it off. I left it in bag of rice for about 5 days I then connected it to a laptop and surprisingly the computer recognized the phone. However it stated that the phone was in recovery mode and needed to be restored to be used. I did this but after trying to restore the computer would run into a problem and say the phone couldnt be restored. I tried several times but no luck. The error number i almost always get is 1600, about 3 times i got error 2005, but mostly its the former.

Well I just wanted to ask, can this be fixed? Is there any way the phone can be forced to restore? Can i have it fixed or is it basically dead?

Thanks

iPhone 4 water damage advice?

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 7:08:12 PM
(0)
Guru

I am so sorry.  My daughter left her iPhone 4 on the back platform of a boat while it sped across a lake.  While it was wet, it still works fine.  Not sure what you can do except wait and give it more time.

I am so sorry.  My daughter left her iPhone 4 on the back platform of a boat while it sped across a lake.  While it was wet, it still works fine.  Not sure what you can do except wait and give it more time.

Re: iPhone 4 water damage advice?

2 of 24 (73,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 7:13:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

OR you can go to the Apple store and get a new one for $200.

3 of 24 (73,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 7:15:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

Correct me if im wrong, but apple will fix that for free! just call them up and schedule a repair

Correct me if im wrong, but apple will fix that for free! just call them up and schedule a repair

4 of 24 (73,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 7:16:43 PM
(0)
Mentor

if it is in error 1600 you can use a program called "recboot" its for mac and it should kick the phone out of recovery screen. Try that and see if it works.

if it is in error 1600 you can use a program called "recboot" its for mac and it should kick the phone out of recovery screen. Try that and see if it works.

5 of 24 (73,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 7:16:49 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Bloodkip on Jul 21, 2010 at 7:17:13 PM

[ Edited ]
6 of 24 (73,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 7:35:37 PM
(0)
Mentor

oh i think its only if you have the apple care plan

oh i think its only if you have the apple care plan

7 of 24 (73,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 7:47:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

read somewhere if you restore with your sim card out it will solve the 2005 error

read somewhere if you restore with your sim card out it will solve the 2005 error

8 of 24 (73,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 8:37:34 PM
(0)
Mentor

The applecare warranty covers defects like the screen starts flickering for no reason. Its does not cover damage caused by you. Like dropping it in water, cracking the screen. If you take the phone into a apple store or call apple and send it in then will stick a light in the top of the phone headphone jack and dock connecter to look and see if the water sensors are active if they are then the warranty is void even if you payed for applecare. 

The applecare warranty covers defects like the screen starts flickering for no reason. Its does not cover damage caused by you. Like dropping it in water, cracking the screen. If you take the phone into a apple store or call apple and send it in then will stick a light in the top of the phone headphone jack and dock connecter to look and see if the water sensors are active if they are then the warranty is void even if you payed for applecare. 

9 of 24 (73,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 10:42:11 PM
(0)
Guru

My daughter got her iphone replaced under the Apple Care plan.  She was given the phone and the original owner had the Apple plan.  Twelve days after she got it, a child ran up to her and gave her a hug, knocking the phone out of her hand.  The screen shattered.  My daughter called Apple, told them what happened and they said the phone was covered under the plan.  She explained about being given the phone, but they said that according to their records, the phone was still covered.  So for $99 she got another phone as the one she had was too badly damaged to be repaired.  You never know...

My daughter got her iphone replaced under the Apple Care plan.  She was given the phone and the original owner had the Apple plan.  Twelve days after she got it, a child ran up to her and gave her a hug, knocking the phone out of her hand.  The screen shattered.  My daughter called Apple, told them what happened and they said the phone was covered under the plan.  She explained about being given the phone, but they said that according to their records, the phone was still covered.  So for $99 she got another phone as the one she had was too badly damaged to be repaired.  You never know...

10 of 24 (73,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 11:37:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have heard of a lot of people taking out the battery and SIM  and putting them all in a container of rice for a day or so and it dries everything out. Haven't tried it but people swear by it..

I have heard of a lot of people taking out the battery and SIM  and putting them all in a container of rice for a day or so and it dries everything out. Haven't tried it but people swear by it..

11 of 24 (55,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 3:29:18 AM
(0)
Expert

jtrizno wrote:

battery cannot be taken out of the Iphone.

jtrizno wrote:

12 of 24 (55,372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 7:23:39 AM
(0)
Mentor

She got a new one but she had to pay for it. I have applecare and I am on my third iphone, because they had defects. And I did not have to pay anything at all.

She got a new one but she had to pay for it. I have applecare and I am on my third iphone, because they had defects. And I did not have to pay anything at all.

13 of 24 (55,338 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 11:11:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

jtrizno wrote:

If you are not all thumbs and like the thrill of victory, you can try this link.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/1

wingrider01 wrote:

jtrizno wrote:

If you are not all thumbs and like the thrill of victory, you can try this link.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/1

14 of 24 (55,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 6:44:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

these guys can repair it for more info 888-990-7555 or www.BrokeMyiPhone.com

they fixed mine after i dropped it in the pool

these guys can repair it for more info 888-990-7555 or www.BrokeMyiPhone.com

they fixed mine after i dropped it in the pool

15 of 24 (54,688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2010 5:50:08 AM
(0)
Guru
Missionrepair.com
Missionrepair.com

16 of 24 (54,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 6:18:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

if go to the apple store get a new one ,it will renew the contract?

17 of 24 (50,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 6:22:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

jun20999 wrote:

Only if you buy a new one.

Getting a warranty or out of warranty replacement iPhone will not renew the contract.

jun20999 wrote:

Only if you buy a new one.

Getting a warranty or out of warranty replacement iPhone will not renew the contract.

18 of 24 (50,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 6:29:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

I've been told by an Apple Store Genius that the rice thing is a myth. Also, silica gel packs. 

I've been told by an Apple Store Genius that the rice thing is a myth. Also, silica gel packs. 

19 of 24 (50,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2011 4:58:45 AM
(0)
Expert

Myrtlemaye wrote:

Sorry it is not a myth - that fix has been decades before Apple even decided that cell phone technology ws something they should think about getting into, or even electronics being small enough to carry in your pocket.

Have recovered at least 25 phones over the last few decades with that method, have seen thousands of post on the net stating that it works. Add to teh simple fact it is not only used with cell phones - it is used with ANY electronics that have gotten wet or sumerged, have recovered a server that was soaked by a errant firing of the sprinklers with the method

The objective is to remove any traces of moisture from the circuity board before the phone is powered back up and the boar short circuits, doing it without a drying agent such as silicia gel or white rice can take months to be sure every bit of moisture is gone, removing the moisture quickly so that the circuity contacts do not corrode is the key.

It will not reset the trip indicator on the phone, but it will dry a phone out enough that it might still be usable or recoverable. The Apple person was not much a genus in this case.

Myrtlemaye wrote:

Sorry it is not a myth - that fix has been decades before Apple even decided that cell phone technology ws something they should think about getting into, or even electronics being small enough to carry in your pocket.

Have recovered at least 25 phones over the last few decades with that method, have seen thousands of post on the net stating that it works. Add to teh simple fact it is not only used with cell phones - it is used with ANY electronics that have gotten wet or sumerged, have recovered a server that was soaked by a errant firing of the sprinklers with the method

The objective is to remove any traces of moisture from the circuity board before the phone is powered back up and the boar short circuits, doing it without a drying agent such as silicia gel or white rice can take months to be sure every bit of moisture is gone, removing the moisture quickly so that the circuity contacts do not corrode is the key.

It will not reset the trip indicator on the phone, but it will dry a phone out enough that it might still be usable or recoverable. The Apple person was not much a genus in this case.

20 of 24 (50,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2011 7:01:14 AM
(0)
Professor

Bloodkip wrote:

how can  he get a another iphone for 200$  if it water damage.

Bloodkip wrote:

hello!!!

21 of 24 (50,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2011 7:47:22 AM
(0)
Expert

graphite07 wrote:

Bloodkip wrote:

If I recallcorrectly Apple has a replacement program for in warranty phones that have damage that is not covered by the normal warranty - aka a 3 month old 4S that was dropped in the water, recall it is 199 for a 16 gb replacement refurb with a 90 day warranty

graphite07 wrote:

Bloodkip wrote:

If I recallcorrectly Apple has a replacement program for in warranty phones that have damage that is not covered by the normal warranty - aka a 3 month old 4S that was dropped in the water, recall it is 199 for a 16 gb replacement refurb with a 90 day warranty

22 of 24 (50,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2013 2:43:53 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by alvinbruno on Aug 8, 2013 at 2:47:49 AM

You can not use the iPhone for it may make it damaged, or you can not back up your data of iPhone. You can do following the steps.
1) Remove it from the water immediately.
2) Turn the iPhone 4 off.
3) Dry it off with a towel.
4) Put iPhone 4 in a bunch of silica packets, or in the bowl of uncooked rice and cover it up.
5) Leave the device in the rice for at least 24 hours and preferably 48 hours.
Hopefully, after 24 - 48 hours iPhone 4 will have dried out, the logic board wasn’t damaged, and hopefully you can turn it on and the device will work. If not, your next option is to see if it can be repaired without much cost.
After that, you can check your iPhone and back up the data or try to recover the data from water damaged iPhone 4. Hope it works.

You can not use the iPhone for it may make it damaged, or you can not back up your data of iPhone. You can do following the steps.
1) Remove it from the water immediately.
2) Turn the iPhone 4 off.
3) Dry it off with a towel.
4) Put iPhone 4 in a bunch of silica packets, or in the bowl of uncooked rice and cover it up.
5) Leave the device in the rice for at least 24 hours and preferably 48 hours.
Hopefully, after 24 - 48 hours iPhone 4 will have dried out, the logic board wasn’t damaged, and hopefully you can turn it on and the device will work. If not, your next option is to see if it can be repaired without much cost.
After that, you can check your iPhone and back up the data or try to recover the data from water damaged iPhone 4. Hope it works.

[ Edited ]
23 of 24 (9,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 3:39:46 PM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

24 of 24 (9,490 Views)