Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 15, 2013
7:54:48 AM
View profile
iPhone 4 and WiFi

Greetings,

I hope someone can give me some ideas on how to get my wife's iPhone 4 working. In AUG 2012, she upgraded to an iPhone 4 and for the most part has not had any problems. Well, other than no service in our home, but AT&T service in our home after the stroms of APR 2011 is terrible because of relocation of damaged towers. However, if you stand in the corner of the house, lick your finger and pray you get a connection. (We use TracPhones to make important calls.) Regardless, in the past 2 weeks (around Labor Day) my wife's iPhone will only connect to WiFi when she is within 10 feet and has unobstructed Line of Sight. It does not matter if it is within our home, at a neighbor's home with WiFi or any public WiFi. She has an Otter box on the cell the protects it from normal use. She has not dropped the phone nor exposed the phone to water or extreme heat/cold.

We have 4 laptops, 1 Desktop, 4 cell phones (3 AT&T, 1 Verizon), 1 Nook HD+, 1 Nook Color, 1 Samsung Tab 7, and two DISH DVRs connected by WiFi. There is no problem with signal strength for any device within home and even in to our backyard. If she has her cell in her pocket, purse or even in her hand the phone will not ring (incoming calls) or drops conversations (in hand). I suspect there is something wrong with her antenna, perhaps it is broken or a soldered connection is weak.

She has called Apple, AT&T and even taken it to a local store. They have all tried "fixing" it (each by removing Otter box and attempting to get a stronger signal--no joy). I have reset to Factory Settings--no joy. I do not know what else to do. The phone, as it always seems to be the case worked during the 1 year warranty period and like magic when the 13 month rolls around, it starts having problems.

Apple said to contact AT&T. The AT&T rep said it had to be the WiFi router. When we countered with the above troubleshooting, she said, "perhaps it is just not strong enough signal for this phone". Okay, now we have a router that is profiling iPhones and denies them service. We pay $20/month for data on this cell and $15/month on remaining two AT&T  cellsand have never met the limit because we only use on WiFI. I am disabled and have never used data on my cell, since I am homebound. She should not be forced to use 3G in our home when we have WiFi.

Any ideas? What can we do to test? Repair?

Thanks,

Eddy

Greetings,

I hope someone can give me some ideas on how to get my wife's iPhone 4 working. In AUG 2012, she upgraded to an iPhone 4 and for the most part has not had any problems. Well, other than no service in our home, but AT&T service in our home after the stroms of APR 2011 is terrible because of relocation of damaged towers. However, if you stand in the corner of the house, lick your finger and pray you get a connection. (We use TracPhones to make important calls.) Regardless, in the past 2 weeks (around Labor Day) my wife's iPhone will only connect to WiFi when she is within 10 feet and has unobstructed Line of Sight. It does not matter if it is within our home, at a neighbor's home with WiFi or any public WiFi. She has an Otter box on the cell the protects it from normal use. She has not dropped the phone nor exposed the phone to water or extreme heat/cold.

We have 4 laptops, 1 Desktop, 4 cell phones (3 AT&T, 1 Verizon), 1 Nook HD+, 1 Nook Color, 1 Samsung Tab 7, and two DISH DVRs connected by WiFi. There is no problem with signal strength for any device within home and even in to our backyard. If she has her cell in her pocket, purse or even in her hand the phone will not ring (incoming calls) or drops conversations (in hand). I suspect there is something wrong with her antenna, perhaps it is broken or a soldered connection is weak.

She has called Apple, AT&T and even taken it to a local store. They have all tried "fixing" it (each by removing Otter box and attempting to get a stronger signal--no joy). I have reset to Factory Settings--no joy. I do not know what else to do. The phone, as it always seems to be the case worked during the 1 year warranty period and like magic when the 13 month rolls around, it starts having problems.

Apple said to contact AT&T. The AT&T rep said it had to be the WiFi router. When we countered with the above troubleshooting, she said, "perhaps it is just not strong enough signal for this phone". Okay, now we have a router that is profiling iPhones and denies them service. We pay $20/month for data on this cell and $15/month on remaining two AT&T  cellsand have never met the limit because we only use on WiFI. I am disabled and have never used data on my cell, since I am homebound. She should not be forced to use 3G in our home when we have WiFi.

Any ideas? What can we do to test? Repair?

Thanks,

Eddy

iPhone 4 and WiFi

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 8:20:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I know it may sound strange, but have you tried re-starting your home wifi router?  YOu are dead set on this not being a wifi router issue, but in my experience, Apple products are the first to have problems when you are connecting them to a third part wifi router.  I have a Linksys WRT350N (802.11n) router at home that is now several years old (7-8 I think).  Our Roku, ThinkPads, Asus EeePC, and even Android table all conenct to it with no problems, but we will start to see cases where the iPhones, iPads, and even Mac computers will start to drop wifi connections.  If we let it go, eventually it will get wose, and other devices start to have the probelms too.  If I unplug the router for 30 seconds, then let it start back up, the problems all go away for a few months.  We jsut use the Apple devices as out "early detection system" now for wifi probems with that router.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I know it may sound strange, but have you tried re-starting your home wifi router?  YOu are dead set on this not being a wifi router issue, but in my experience, Apple products are the first to have problems when you are connecting them to a third part wifi router.  I have a Linksys WRT350N (802.11n) router at home that is now several years old (7-8 I think).  Our Roku, ThinkPads, Asus EeePC, and even Android table all conenct to it with no problems, but we will start to see cases where the iPhones, iPads, and even Mac computers will start to drop wifi connections.  If we let it go, eventually it will get wose, and other devices start to have the probelms too.  If I unplug the router for 30 seconds, then let it start back up, the problems all go away for a few months.  We jsut use the Apple devices as out "early detection system" now for wifi probems with that router.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 4 and WiFi

2 of 10 (1,125 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 12:20:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

I understand your point re routers, but I not only rebooted the router when she first started experiencing the problem, I did a factory reset of the router. Just this past FRI (13 SEP 13)  I upgraded the modem/router to a new model from Netgear. I can assure you, with two routers in my home, a third in a neighbor's and the numerous WiFi hotspots, it is specific to her iPhone and not a router issue.

I have had numerous modem/routers thru the years and pretty good at tweaking them. I have a dual band modem/router (with her iPhone 4 she cannot connect to 5G) but can to 2.4. I have tried both a secured WiFi connection and an open Guest Network. The moment she walks away from the router, she drops signal. It is like her antenna is always on the fringe area of reception.

In our home the router is in an elevated (approximately 5') position towards the rear of the home to put as many walls and distance from street. Even at that out other cell phones have WiFi service over 40 feet to the front of our home. When my wife is sitting in the living room, there is only one interior wall between her and router, but distance is no more than 14 feet. If she stand directly opposite the router (same elevation) and only has six inches of wall between her, she still cannot connect. If she walks to the doorway she connects and the doorway is about 11 to 12 feet from router.

When I was in USMC I was in Force Reconaissance and was the Field Radio Operator. In addition to my other/shared duties, I carried the radios and had to make sure we had good, clear, consistent comm. Many a time I was taking apart radios in the field, cleaning connections, making field expedient/directional antennas etc all in attempt to get comm. It is a spooky feeling when you are sitting in indian country 30 to 40 miles from friendlies and you cannot get comm. Add to that my Electrical Engineering degree and I think I have pretty much completed and ran all troubleshooting options.

I am not trying to be a j3rk but my first action is not to get online. I try to fix it myself and if not possible identify the problem or at least rule out both possible and probable causes. With my degrading health, I do what I can to save money.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Eddy

I understand your point re routers, but I not only rebooted the router when she first started experiencing the problem, I did a factory reset of the router. Just this past FRI (13 SEP 13)  I upgraded the modem/router to a new model from Netgear. I can assure you, with two routers in my home, a third in a neighbor's and the numerous WiFi hotspots, it is specific to her iPhone and not a router issue.

I have had numerous modem/routers thru the years and pretty good at tweaking them. I have a dual band modem/router (with her iPhone 4 she cannot connect to 5G) but can to 2.4. I have tried both a secured WiFi connection and an open Guest Network. The moment she walks away from the router, she drops signal. It is like her antenna is always on the fringe area of reception.

In our home the router is in an elevated (approximately 5') position towards the rear of the home to put as many walls and distance from street. Even at that out other cell phones have WiFi service over 40 feet to the front of our home. When my wife is sitting in the living room, there is only one interior wall between her and router, but distance is no more than 14 feet. If she stand directly opposite the router (same elevation) and only has six inches of wall between her, she still cannot connect. If she walks to the doorway she connects and the doorway is about 11 to 12 feet from router.

When I was in USMC I was in Force Reconaissance and was the Field Radio Operator. In addition to my other/shared duties, I carried the radios and had to make sure we had good, clear, consistent comm. Many a time I was taking apart radios in the field, cleaning connections, making field expedient/directional antennas etc all in attempt to get comm. It is a spooky feeling when you are sitting in indian country 30 to 40 miles from friendlies and you cannot get comm. Add to that my Electrical Engineering degree and I think I have pretty much completed and ran all troubleshooting options.

I am not trying to be a j3rk but my first action is not to get online. I try to fix it myself and if not possible identify the problem or at least rule out both possible and probable causes. With my degrading health, I do what I can to save money.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Eddy

3 of 10 (1,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 1:34:46 PM
(0)
Expert

everything points to a hardware issue with the phone. Apple used to have a 199.00 out of warranty replacement, that might be your only choice, or you can buy a used from a reputable dealer

everything points to a hardware issue with the phone. Apple used to have a 199.00 out of warranty replacement, that might be your only choice, or you can buy a used from a reputable dealer

4 of 10 (1,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 3:54:44 AM
(0)
Mentor
Did you recently upgrade to iOS 7. iPhone 4 is known to experience WiFi hardware failure after upgrade to the latest iOS due to overheating.
Did you recently upgrade to iOS 7. iPhone 4 is known to experience WiFi hardware failure after upgrade to the latest iOS due to overheating.

5 of 10 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 7:49:45 AM
(0)
Expert

kPaks wrote:

curious where that is published on apples site, have not seen it posted there

kPaks wrote:

curious where that is published on apples site, have not seen it posted there

6 of 10 (778 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 10:38:10 AM
(0)
Scholar
I think it is definitely your WiFi antenna (or related hardware). Unless kPaks is right (which seems unlikely to me), I think you will just have to pay for the repair.

I have owned five iPhones over the years, and I have never had any of them break out of warranty. If you consistently have problems after 13 months, you could've purchased AppleCare Plus.
I think it is definitely your WiFi antenna (or related hardware). Unless kPaks is right (which seems unlikely to me), I think you will just have to pay for the repair.

I have owned five iPhones over the years, and I have never had any of them break out of warranty. If you consistently have problems after 13 months, you could've purchased AppleCare Plus.

7 of 10 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 6:30:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

Google Iphone  wifi grayed out .   It is a known issue  with iphones and appears to be connected with overheating.  My sons 4S  has the problem and its not a router issue because my 4s(Now 5S) work perfectly in our house.  All sorts of crazy solutions on the internet but basically if the WIFI option on your iphone is grayed out, well as the folks at the Apple store at Northlake told my son, you better plan on getting a new phone. 

Google Iphone  wifi grayed out .   It is a known issue  with iphones and appears to be connected with overheating.  My sons 4S  has the problem and its not a router issue because my 4s(Now 5S) work perfectly in our house.  All sorts of crazy solutions on the internet but basically if the WIFI option on your iphone is grayed out, well as the folks at the Apple store at Northlake told my son, you better plan on getting a new phone. 

8 of 10 (683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2013 10:31:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

So you know iPhone 4 had a flaw if you touch the bottom right or left corner it would short out the radio it was the first year of the split antennas which connected to the metal ring around the phone. an you can google it to verify it was a issue. I'd take it from the case in gently give eavh corner a squeeze an or a bump in see if it is just stuck too right or wire is loose n shorting out. Or you can look at you tube for a guide r google an split it n half n check the connection it may have come off. if u think it's the signal is weak then I'd try that. If u don't feel comfy apliting the unit which is real easy on a iPhone 4 there are 3rd party repair shops besides Apple you could get a price check to send it to them. Or call apple n get a estimated repair price to swap out the wifi radio or antenna. But if you watch the guides or videos there really isnt a reason you couldn't repair it yourself if you take your time. Those models are a lot easier to work on not like the new 5s. Anyhow you may just have a disconnected connector from the wifi radio to antenna if it was mine if check it. An you can look online an see what those parts cost for you to do it yourself an weigh it against the purchase of a new phone. Hope this helps an good luck to u

So you know iPhone 4 had a flaw if you touch the bottom right or left corner it would short out the radio it was the first year of the split antennas which connected to the metal ring around the phone. an you can google it to verify it was a issue. I'd take it from the case in gently give eavh corner a squeeze an or a bump in see if it is just stuck too right or wire is loose n shorting out. Or you can look at you tube for a guide r google an split it n half n check the connection it may have come off. if u think it's the signal is weak then I'd try that. If u don't feel comfy apliting the unit which is real easy on a iPhone 4 there are 3rd party repair shops besides Apple you could get a price check to send it to them. Or call apple n get a estimated repair price to swap out the wifi radio or antenna. But if you watch the guides or videos there really isnt a reason you couldn't repair it yourself if you take your time. Those models are a lot easier to work on not like the new 5s. Anyhow you may just have a disconnected connector from the wifi radio to antenna if it was mine if check it. An you can look online an see what those parts cost for you to do it yourself an weigh it against the purchase of a new phone. Hope this helps an good luck to u

10 of 10 (644 Views)