Posted Oct 31, 2013
8:33:00 PM
View profile
iPhone 2 Year Contract Data Plan Question

So right now my iPhone is fairly broken due to water damage. Currently my Dad, on the same family talk plan just has the talk part of the plan and wants to leave it that way. Can he get an iPhone for the 2 year contract price and then can I put my sim card in it? Or is he required to get a data plan too?

So right now my iPhone is fairly broken due to water damage. Currently my Dad, on the same family talk plan just has the talk part of the plan and wants to leave it that way. Can he get an iPhone for the 2 year contract price and then can I put my sim card in it? Or is he required to get a data plan too?

iPhone 2 Year Contract Data Plan Question

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 9:19:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Smartphones are now required to have data plans. Your dad's plan is grandfathered into the old policy that used to be in place, which didn't require data for the smartphone at the time. If he upgrades his device, chances are he will be required to have a data plan. The only way around this would be to buy a smartphone full price.

Another way is to check is to log into myAT&T and check your upgrade options. You can do this via Customer Care or ATT corporate store store as well.

Did you have insurance on the phone? You can get a replacement for accidental damage.
~Sunshine :smileyhappy:
Smartphones are now required to have data plans. Your dad's plan is grandfathered into the old policy that used to be in place, which didn't require data for the smartphone at the time. If he upgrades his device, chances are he will be required to have a data plan. The only way around this would be to buy a smartphone full price.

Another way is to check is to log into myAT&T and check your upgrade options. You can do this via Customer Care or ATT corporate store store as well.

Did you have insurance on the phone? You can get a replacement for accidental damage.
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 2 Year Contract Data Plan Question

2 of 22 (872 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 11:01:48 PM
(0)
No insurance. :smileysad:
No insurance. :smileysad:

3 of 22 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 11:19:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Hmm... I would try logging into MyAT&T and check your upgrade options, definitely. If you are past at least 6-12 months, chances are you might be eligible for an early upgrade. The way it works is you get a new device at the discounted price, in this instance $199, however $250 would be added to that, making it $499 before taxes and a new 2 yr contract agreement.

If it's been at least 20 months since your last upgrade then maybe (no guarantees), you might be eligible for upgrade via AT&T Next. This is a no contract option but you would receive the same service you do now. The way Next works is you would get an iPhone 5S for example (it can be any device), and pay a monthly installment (usually $27 or so) + monthly recurring plan fees. Only way to find out if your eligible is if of course, you check your upgrade eligibility :smileytongue:
Hmm... I would try logging into MyAT&T and check your upgrade options, definitely. If you are past at least 6-12 months, chances are you might be eligible for an early upgrade. The way it works is you get a new device at the discounted price, in this instance $199, however $250 would be added to that, making it $499 before taxes and a new 2 yr contract agreement.

If it's been at least 20 months since your last upgrade then maybe (no guarantees), you might be eligible for upgrade via AT&T Next. This is a no contract option but you would receive the same service you do now. The way Next works is you would get an iPhone 5S for example (it can be any device), and pay a monthly installment (usually $27 or so) + monthly recurring plan fees. Only way to find out if your eligible is if of course, you check your upgrade eligibility :smileytongue:
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 22 (845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 11:27:48 PM
(0)
It hasn't even been a year since I upgraded last with a 2 year contract. I won't be doing it that way since I'll be paying almost as much as getting one outright. Guess I'll just use this gimped phone for the next 14 months.
It hasn't even been a year since I upgraded last with a 2 year contract. I won't be doing it that way since I'll be paying almost as much as getting one outright. Guess I'll just use this gimped phone for the next 14 months.

5 of 22 (842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2013 3:19:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Perhaps you can buy an unlocked phone such as the Nexus 5 for $349 I believe? It's fully unlocked, works on AT&T and also works on other carriers internationally.
Perhaps you can buy an unlocked phone such as the Nexus 5 for $349 I believe? It's fully unlocked, works on AT&T and also works on other carriers internationally.

6 of 22 (829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2013 7:19:08 AM
(0)
Expert

Make an appointment and take it to a Apple store, they have a out of warrenty replacement paln that you might qualify for

Make an appointment and take it to a Apple store, they have a out of warrenty replacement paln that you might qualify for

7 of 22 (808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2013 12:06:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

Apple's non-applecare replacement might be pricy. If you have an iPhone 4S or an iPhone 5 that's damaged, you might be able to find someone who has recently upgraded locally and will sell you their old iphone for roughly 100$. That would beat the 300+ it would be to replace a phone out of warranty. 

Apple recently up'd the cost of replacement for applecare customers to 80$. 

Btw, don't let anyone tell you the bag of rice will work with an iphone. the water could get inside the battery compartment and short circuit on you, which could be dangerous.

Apple's non-applecare replacement might be pricy. If you have an iPhone 4S or an iPhone 5 that's damaged, you might be able to find someone who has recently upgraded locally and will sell you their old iphone for roughly 100$. That would beat the 300+ it would be to replace a phone out of warranty. 

Btw, don't let anyone tell you the bag of rice will work with an iphone. the water could get inside the battery compartment and short circuit on you, which could be dangerous.

8 of 22 (798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2013 3:20:35 PM
(0)
Expert

sestewart wrote:

out of warrenty for apple is 199

sestewart wrote:

out of warrenty for apple is 199

9 of 22 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2013 8:23:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Does your father have a smartphone or a basic phone now?  Is he eligible for an upgrade?  If he has a basic phone, he can upgrade his line to the phone that you want, then you can activate that phone on your line.  If you do this in the store, the rep can handle everything for you and your father's line will not have to have the data plan added to it since he will continue to use his basic phone.

It's best to handle this type of transaction in-store versus online.  The account holder or an authorized user has to be present in the store to perform this upgrade on your father's line.  Your father will have a new two-year contract on his line (if you don't choose the Next option), but you will have the phone on your line.  Your father can use your upgrade in the same way when it becomes available if he wants a new phone then.

Does your father have a smartphone or a basic phone now?  Is he eligible for an upgrade?  If he has a basic phone, he can upgrade his line to the phone that you want, then you can activate that phone on your line.  If you do this in the store, the rep can handle everything for you and your father's line will not have to have the data plan added to it since he will continue to use his basic phone.

It's best to handle this type of transaction in-store versus online.  The account holder or an authorized user has to be present in the store to perform this upgrade on your father's line.  Your father will have a new two-year contract on his line (if you don't choose the Next option), but you will have the phone on your line.  Your father can use your upgrade in the same way when it becomes available if he wants a new phone then.

10 of 22 (710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2013 9:45:40 PM
(0)
Hmm we just went in the store and asked and they said this wasn't possible....
Hmm we just went in the store and asked and they said this wasn't possible....

11 of 22 (705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 5:06:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

What wasn't possible?  Did you go to an AT&T corporate store?  Is your father eligible for an upgrade?  Does your father have a basic phone or a smartphone?

What wasn't possible?  Did you go to an AT&T corporate store?  Is your father eligible for an upgrade?  Does your father have a basic phone or a smartphone?

12 of 22 (688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 5:40:40 AM
(0)
We went to a corporate store, he's eligible for an upgrade and he has a basic phone with just talk on our family plan. They said that using his upgrade for an iphone without getting a data plan wasn't possible.
We went to a corporate store, he's eligible for an upgrade and he has a basic phone with just talk on our family plan. They said that using his upgrade for an iphone without getting a data plan wasn't possible.

13 of 22 (683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 5:55:53 AM
(0)
Expert

haneybd87 wrote:

that is 100 percent correct - all smartphones require a data plan unless it is a gohpone

haneybd87 wrote:

that is 100 percent correct - all smartphones require a data plan unless it is a gohpone

14 of 22 (682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 7:18:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

haneybd87 wrote:

Yes, technically this is true.  However, most reps are familiar with this type of upgrade sharing on family accounts.  Your father's line would take the upgrade, then his basic phone would be immediately reactivated on his account.  Then the new iPhone would be activated on your line.  The data plan is only required on the line that is using the smartphone (yours).

I would say try another rep or another store.  Upgrade sharing happens every day and it's not only between people who have the same types of phones.

haneybd87 wrote:

Yes, technically this is true.  However, most reps are familiar with this type of upgrade sharing on family accounts.  Your father's line would take the upgrade, then his basic phone would be immediately reactivated on his account.  Then the new iPhone would be activated on your line.  The data plan is only required on the line that is using the smartphone (yours).

I would say try another rep or another store.  Upgrade sharing happens every day and it's not only between people who have the same types of phones.

15 of 22 (678 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 8:34:40 AM
(0)
Well I don't know how to get them to believe and do this for me....
Well I don't know how to get them to believe and do this for me....

16 of 22 (673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 8:47:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You can just tell them that you want to use the upgrade that is available on another line on your plan for your line.

You can just tell them that you want to use the upgrade that is available on another line on your plan for your line.

17 of 22 (670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 8:49:40 AM
(0)
But like I said, I already tried doing this and they said no.
But like I said, I already tried doing this and they said no.

18 of 22 (668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 9:17:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
They are wrong, I did it on several of my lines. It is done all the time. The authorized person on the account will have to be with you to get it done. You can even use someone else's upgrade, not even on your account. There has to be something that you are not telling us.
Are you going to a corporate store or an AT&T reseller?
I did this at a corporate store. I used my upgrade to get an iPhone for my wife. We went to the store and they activate the phone on her number. It requires a data plan as all smartphones do.
They are wrong, I did it on several of my lines. It is done all the time. The authorized person on the account will have to be with you to get it done. You can even use someone else's upgrade, not even on your account. There has to be something that you are not telling us.
Are you going to a corporate store or an AT&T reseller?
I did this at a corporate store. I used my upgrade to get an iPhone for my wife. We went to the store and they activate the phone on her number. It requires a data plan as all smartphones do.

19 of 22 (664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 9:40:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

kdfederer, I think that the main problem that haneybd87 is running into is that the rep is telling him/her that the line that will keep the basic phone has to have a data plan.  Even if the rep has to put one on just to perform the upgrade, the rep can remove it as soon as he puts the basic phone back on the upgrading line.  This can all be done before the customers leave the store.

kdfederer, I think that the main problem that haneybd87 is running into is that the rep is telling him/her that the line that will keep the basic phone has to have a data plan.  Even if the rep has to put one on just to perform the upgrade, the rep can remove it as soon as he puts the basic phone back on the upgrading line.  This can all be done before the customers leave the store.

20 of 22 (661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 9:24:40 PM
(0)
What do you mean there's something I'm not telling you? I asked if we
could use his upgrade for my phone and the guy said we couldn't do it
without signing him up for a data plan. There isn't anything else to say....
What do you mean there's something I'm not telling you? I asked if we
could use his upgrade for my phone and the guy said we couldn't do it
without signing him up for a data plan. There isn't anything else to say....

21 of 22 (641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2013 5:33:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
You don't have to activate the phone on his phone line if it is done in a store, it can be purchased and then activated on your line. I have done it. There is no reason to change his phone plan or even his sim.
If you bought the phone online, as a security precaution, it must be first activated on the line used for the upgrade.
Even if you activate the phone on his line, add the data plan required, once his switches back to his old phone, he can have the data plan removed. Data plans are only required if a smartphone is being used on the line.
If you activate a smartphone, a data plan is REQUIRED, but it can be removed if no longer using the smartphone.
You don't have to activate the phone on his phone line if it is done in a store, it can be purchased and then activated on your line. I have done it. There is no reason to change his phone plan or even his sim.
If you bought the phone online, as a security precaution, it must be first activated on the line used for the upgrade.
Even if you activate the phone on his line, add the data plan required, once his switches back to his old phone, he can have the data plan removed. Data plans are only required if a smartphone is being used on the line.
If you activate a smartphone, a data plan is REQUIRED, but it can be removed if no longer using the smartphone.

22 of 22 (627 Views)