Helpful Links

iPhone 2 Year Contract Data Plan Question

Tutor

iPhone 2 Year Contract Data Plan Question

So right now my iPhone is fairly broken due to water damage. Currently my Dad, on the same family talk plan just has the talk part of the plan and wants to leave it that way. Can he get an iPhone for the 2 year contract price and then can I put my sim card in it? Or is he required to get a data plan too?

Message 1 of 22
Tutor

Re: iPhone 2 Year Contract Data Plan Question

Well I don't know how to get them to believe and do this for me....
Message 16 of 22
Professor

You can just tell them that you want to use the upgrade that is available on another line on your plan for your line.

Message 17 of 22
Tutor

But like I said, I already tried doing this and they said no.
Message 18 of 22
ACE - Expert

They are wrong, I did it on several of my lines. It is done all the time. The authorized person on the account will have to be with you to get it done. You can even use someone else's upgrade, not even on your account. There has to be something that you are not telling us.
Are you going to a corporate store or an AT&T reseller?
I did this at a corporate store. I used my upgrade to get an iPhone for my wife. We went to the store and they activate the phone on her number. It requires a data plan as all smartphones do.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 22
Highlighted
Professor

kdfederer, I think that the main problem that haneybd87 is running into is that the rep is telling him/her that the line that will keep the basic phone has to have a data plan.  Even if the rep has to put one on just to perform the upgrade, the rep can remove it as soon as he puts the basic phone back on the upgrading line.  This can all be done before the customers leave the store.

Message 20 of 22
Tutor

What do you mean there's something I'm not telling you? I asked if we
could use his upgrade for my phone and the guy said we couldn't do it
without signing him up for a data plan. There isn't anything else to say....
Message 21 of 22
ACE - Expert

You don't have to activate the phone on his phone line if it is done in a store, it can be purchased and then activated on your line. I have done it. There is no reason to change his phone plan or even his sim.
If you bought the phone online, as a security precaution, it must be first activated on the line used for the upgrade.
Even if you activate the phone on his line, add the data plan required, once his switches back to his old phone, he can have the data plan removed. Data plans are only required if a smartphone is being used on the line.
If you activate a smartphone, a data plan is REQUIRED, but it can be removed if no longer using the smartphone.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 22
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support