iPhone 2 Year Contract Data Plan Question

Tutor

iPhone 2 Year Contract Data Plan Question

So right now my iPhone is fairly broken due to water damage. Currently my Dad, on the same family talk plan just has the talk part of the plan and wants to leave it that way. Can he get an iPhone for the 2 year contract price and then can I put my sim card in it? Or is he required to get a data plan too?

Message 1 of 22 (1,352 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: iPhone 2 Year Contract Data Plan Question

Smartphones are now required to have data plans. Your dad's plan is grandfathered into the old policy that used to be in place, which didn't require data for the smartphone at the time. If he upgrades his device, chances are he will be required to have a data plan. The only way around this would be to buy a smartphone full price.

Another way is to check is to log into myAT&T and check your upgrade options. You can do this via Customer Care or ATT corporate store store as well.

Did you have insurance on the phone? You can get a replacement for accidental damage.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 22 (1,343 Views)
Tutor

No insurance. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 22 (1,320 Views)
ACE - Professor

Hmm... I would try logging into MyAT&T and check your upgrade options, definitely. If you are past at least 6-12 months, chances are you might be eligible for an early upgrade. The way it works is you get a new device at the discounted price, in this instance $199, however $250 would be added to that, making it $499 before taxes and a new 2 yr contract agreement.

If it's been at least 20 months since your last upgrade then maybe (no guarantees), you might be eligible for upgrade via AT&T Next. This is a no contract option but you would receive the same service you do now. The way Next works is you would get an iPhone 5S for example (it can be any device), and pay a monthly installment (usually $27 or so) + monthly recurring plan fees. Only way to find out if your eligible is if of course, you check your upgrade eligibility Smiley Tongue
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 22 (1,316 Views)
Tutor

It hasn't even been a year since I upgraded last with a 2 year contract. I won't be doing it that way since I'll be paying almost as much as getting one outright. Guess I'll just use this gimped phone for the next 14 months.
Message 5 of 22 (1,313 Views)
ACE - Professor

Perhaps you can buy an unlocked phone such as the Nexus 5 for $349 I believe? It's fully unlocked, works on AT&T and also works on other carriers internationally.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 22 (1,300 Views)
Expert

Make an appointment and take it to a Apple store, they have a out of warrenty replacement paln that you might qualify for

Message 7 of 22 (1,279 Views)
Teacher

Apple's non-applecare replacement might be pricy. If you have an iPhone 4S or an iPhone 5 that's damaged, you might be able to find someone who has recently upgraded locally and will sell you their old iphone for roughly 100$. That would beat the 300+ it would be to replace a phone out of warranty. 

Apple recently up'd the cost of replacement for applecare customers to 80$. 

Btw, don't let anyone tell you the bag of rice will work with an iphone. the water could get inside the battery compartment and short circuit on you, which could be dangerous.

Message 8 of 22 (1,269 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

sestewart wrote:

Apple's non-applecare replacement might be pricy. If you have an iPhone 4S or an iPhone 5 that's damaged, you might be able to find someone who has recently upgraded locally and will sell you their old iphone for roughly 100$. That would beat the 300+ it would be to replace a phone out of warranty. 

Apple recently up'd the cost of replacement for applecare customers to 80$. 

Btw, don't let anyone tell you the bag of rice will work with an iphone. the water could get inside the battery compartment and short circuit on you, which could be dangerous.

out of warrenty for apple is 199

Message 9 of 22 (1,255 Views)
Professor

Does your father have a smartphone or a basic phone now?  Is he eligible for an upgrade?  If he has a basic phone, he can upgrade his line to the phone that you want, then you can activate that phone on your line.  If you do this in the store, the rep can handle everything for you and your father's line will not have to have the data plan added to it since he will continue to use his basic phone.

It's best to handle this type of transaction in-store versus online.  The account holder or an authorized user has to be present in the store to perform this upgrade on your father's line.  Your father will have a new two-year contract on his line (if you don't choose the Next option), but you will have the phone on your line.  Your father can use your upgrade in the same way when it becomes available if he wants a new phone then.

Message 10 of 22 (1,181 Views)
Tutor

Hmm we just went in the store and asked and they said this wasn't possible....
Message 11 of 22 (1,176 Views)
Professor

What wasn't possible?  Did you go to an AT&T corporate store?  Is your father eligible for an upgrade?  Does your father have a basic phone or a smartphone?

Message 12 of 22 (1,159 Views)
Tutor

We went to a corporate store, he's eligible for an upgrade and he has a basic phone with just talk on our family plan. They said that using his upgrade for an iphone without getting a data plan wasn't possible.
Message 13 of 22 (1,154 Views)
Expert

haneybd87 wrote:
We went to a corporate store, he's eligible for an upgrade and he has a basic phone with just talk on our family plan. They said that using his upgrade for an iphone without getting a data plan wasn't possible.

that is 100 percent correct - all smartphones require a data plan unless it is a gohpone

Message 14 of 22 (1,153 Views)
Professor

haneybd87 wrote:

Yes, technically this is true.  However, most reps are familiar with this type of upgrade sharing on family accounts.  Your father's line would take the upgrade, then his basic phone would be immediately reactivated on his account.  Then the new iPhone would be activated on your line.  The data plan is only required on the line that is using the smartphone (yours).

I would say try another rep or another store.  Upgrade sharing happens every day and it's not only between people who have the same types of phones.

Message 15 of 22 (1,149 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.