Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 18, 2013
10:15:54 AM
View profile
iOS 7

iOS 7 is out, but I'm having a difficult time downloading it.  It keeps crashing, I suspect Apple's servers are being overloaded.

iOS 7 is out, but I'm having a difficult time downloading it.  It keeps crashing, I suspect Apple's servers are being overloaded.

iOS 7

38 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(38)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 7:51:47 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Sep 21, 2013 at 8:08:21 AM

oz_1 wrote:

Whether certain owners like it or not iOS7 has a faster adoption rate than iOS6 had so I guess the majority likes it because with all the articles and screen shots they certainly had enough info to see if they wanted to stay or upgrade.

true, made the mistake of upgrading a single personal device to it and it cost me 899.99 to get a usable device back, blame myself for loading the piece of junk to my personal equipment, will not happen again. We wil not be supporting it in the vertical market app that we develop and sell, the validation process has been put on the back burner 

With the release of the information regarding a security flaw in the IOS that was not discovered during "beta" testing, will be sure not to authorize it until a 3rd party testing company gives it a clean bill of health

oz_1 wrote:

Whether certain owners like it or not iOS7 has a faster adoption rate than iOS6 had so I guess the majority likes it because with all the articles and screen shots they certainly had enough info to see if they wanted to stay or upgrade.

true, made the mistake of upgrading a single personal device to it and it cost me 899.99 to get a usable device back, blame myself for loading the piece of junk to my personal equipment, will not happen again. We wil not be supporting it in the vertical market app that we develop and sell, the validation process has been put on the back burner 

With the release of the information regarding a security flaw in the IOS that was not discovered during "beta" testing, will be sure not to authorize it until a 3rd party testing company gives it a clean bill of health

Re: iOS 7

[ Edited ]
31 of 39 (1,374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 8:48:24 AM
(0)
Master

I have been dabling with OS's for sometime and one thing that is inevitable ALL companies force us to upgrade at some point do to the fact you are locked out of certain updates and apps it has and will continue to happen with Apple,Microsoft and Linux but if enough complaints are brought forward then in order to keep their patrons happy it eventually gets addressed such as the return of the Start button in Windows 8.1.

I have been dabling with OS's for sometime and one thing that is inevitable ALL companies force us to upgrade at some point do to the fact you are locked out of certain updates and apps it has and will continue to happen with Apple,Microsoft and Linux but if enough complaints are brought forward then in order to keep their patrons happy it eventually gets addressed such as the return of the Start button in Windows 8.1.

32 of 39 (1,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 9:59:39 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by dwill05 on Sep 21, 2013 at 10:03:16 AM

I guess I don't understand what's so bad about iOS7 that would make someone throw away their phone and spend $900 to buy a new one in less than 24 hours. I don't care for the new look either, but it isn't bad enough to make me junk the phone. Plus ,I like a lot of the other features, and the look is growing on me a little, especially after I went to the accessibility menu to enable the bold fonts and increased contrast.  I'm guessing there is more to the story.

Regarding the security flaw with the control center on the lock screen, I don't see it as a big deal such that you can't use the phone until they fix it. Simply using disabling the option to have the control center come u[p on the lock screen completely defeats the bug. Also, in order to use it someone has to physically get a hold of your phone, and that person has to know about the flaw and have the intent to exploit it. Don't know about others, but I don't lose control of my phone or leave it laying around in an area where strangers are milling around. Finally, I'm not sure what the hacker can actually do, other than post to Facebook and Twitter. Can they access passwords or financial information?

It's good that the information is coming out, and Apple is undoubtedly working on a patch, but I'm not too worried about this flaw actually being any threat to me, personally. Unfortunately, nothing is secure. Any new software is going to have flaws. Swapping to a Windows 8 or Android isn't going to eliminate bugs or security flaws. Just best to remain informed.

I guess I don't understand what's so bad about iOS7 that would make someone throw away their phone and spend $900 to buy a new one in less than 24 hours. I don't care for the new look either, but it isn't bad enough to make me junk the phone. Plus ,I like a lot of the other features, and the look is growing on me a little, especially after I went to the accessibility menu to enable the bold fonts and increased contrast.  I'm guessing there is more to the story.

Regarding the security flaw with the control center on the lock screen, I don't see it as a big deal such that you can't use the phone until they fix it. Simply using disabling the option to have the control center come u[p on the lock screen completely defeats the bug. Also, in order to use it someone has to physically get a hold of your phone, and that person has to know about the flaw and have the intent to exploit it. Don't know about others, but I don't lose control of my phone or leave it laying around in an area where strangers are milling around. Finally, I'm not sure what the hacker can actually do, other than post to Facebook and Twitter. Can they access passwords or financial information?

It's good that the information is coming out, and Apple is undoubtedly working on a patch, but I'm not too worried about this flaw actually being any threat to me, personally. Unfortunately, nothing is secure. Any new software is going to have flaws. Swapping to a Windows 8 or Android isn't going to eliminate bugs or security flaws. Just best to remain informed.

[ Edited ]
33 of 39 (1,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 10:46:54 AM
(0)
Master

The more I use it the more I am getting use to the changes but for me the benifits outweigh my pet peeves.

The more I use it the more I am getting use to the changes but for me the benifits outweigh my pet peeves.

34 of 39 (1,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 12:00:40 PM
(0)
Expert

dwill05 wrote:

wasn't a phone, installed it only on my personal Ipad, detest the look, the feel, the operational characteristics. It really depends on the applications that are being run on the phone, finacial information, credit card are just 2 of the items - Apple even has a specific app built into the IOS to handle this, called Passport a multi-function wallet. There are thousands of apps out there that can be loaded to the device to make your life easier, take the capital one credit card app, the majority of banks have apps that can access all your financial accounts and transfer funds, there is a add one device that will turn the phone or ipad into a credit card swiper that will compromise not only your information, but the customers information.

According to reports Apple may have been aware of it during beta. No telling how long it will be before they release the PTF for this security hole. I don't do social sites, in fact they are blocked at the firewall for the office and at home

All the release of this version of the IOS did was make my uncertainty of replacing the ipad with a surface final, the surface is much more versatile then the ipad since the pro runs anything that can be installed on a Windows based PC. matched with a ultra compact 1 TB usb drive it is a lot more usable.

dwill05 wrote:

wasn't a phone, installed it only on my personal Ipad, detest the look, the feel, the operational characteristics. It really depends on the applications that are being run on the phone, finacial information, credit card are just 2 of the items - Apple even has a specific app built into the IOS to handle this, called Passport a multi-function wallet. There are thousands of apps out there that can be loaded to the device to make your life easier, take the capital one credit card app, the majority of banks have apps that can access all your financial accounts and transfer funds, there is a add one device that will turn the phone or ipad into a credit card swiper that will compromise not only your information, but the customers information.

According to reports Apple may have been aware of it during beta. No telling how long it will be before they release the PTF for this security hole. I don't do social sites, in fact they are blocked at the firewall for the office and at home

All the release of this version of the IOS did was make my uncertainty of replacing the ipad with a surface final, the surface is much more versatile then the ipad since the pro runs anything that can be installed on a Windows based PC. matched with a ultra compact 1 TB usb drive it is a lot more usable.

35 of 39 (1,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 12:21:44 PM
(0)
Master

You will find you can not install everything from the Windows desktop on the Surface RT unless you are talking about the Pro which is over a thousand with the keyboard cover and still will not have enough drive space to hold to many native Windows desktop apps and have room to run.

You will find you can not install everything from the Windows desktop on the Surface RT unless you are talking about the Pro which is over a thousand with the keyboard cover and still will not have enough drive space to hold to many native Windows desktop apps and have room to run.

36 of 39 (1,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 3:23:43 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Sep 21, 2013 at 3:24:40 PM

oz_1 wrote:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.275287300?Icid=MSCOM_SurfacePro_misc&W...

using Office 365 hosted, 1TB external USB device gives me all the local storage I need, already have a bluetooth keyboard that I used with the ipad, it connects and works and has a built in touch point mouse. Already have everything I need installed and working

oz_1 wrote:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.275287300?Icid=MSCOM_SurfacePro_misc&WT.mc_id=OO_MSCOM_Pro_Prog_EN-US

using Office 365 hosted, 1TB external USB device gives me all the local storage I need, already have a bluetooth keyboard that I used with the ipad, it connects and works and has a built in touch point mouse. Already have everything I need installed and working

[ Edited ]
37 of 39 (1,234 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 9:07:19 PM
(0)
Master

Well then that seems like you got it nailed and i have played with the pro and if they offered it with a 256 drive I believe they would sell more my feeling on the RT it will be another Zune as the Surface Pro will run native desktop which is what the Windows crowd wanted to begin with

Apples answer is the Air which works very well for the Mac crowd.

Well then that seems like you got it nailed and i have played with the pro and if they offered it with a 256 drive I believe they would sell more my feeling on the RT it will be another Zune as the Surface Pro will run native desktop which is what the Windows crowd wanted to begin with

Apples answer is the Air which works very well for the Mac crowd.

38 of 39 (1,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 12:36:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

I agree, I do not like the color/background, etc.  I've looked everywhere and can't find a way to change it.  I really don't like the black and white text messages.

I agree, I do not like the color/background, etc.  I've looked everywhere and can't find a way to change it.  I really don't like the black and white text messages.

39 of 39 (919 Views)