Helpful Links

iMessage US to Canada

Contributor

iMessage US to Canada

I have been iMessaging a friend in Canada and I live in the US. I thought I was fine but then I read that I needed to be connected to a WiFi source for the iMessages to go through and not be charged as SMS. I have the Unlimited Text and Unlimited Data plan. So I was wondering will I be charged for the text I've sent/recieved while not connected to a WiFi source? And I have turned the SMS option off on my phone.

Message 1 of 3
Expert

Re: iMessage US to Canada

Raptor52 wrote:

I have been iMessaging a friend in Canada and I live in the US. I thought I was fine but then I read that I needed to be connected to a WiFi source for the iMessages to go through and not be charged as SMS. I have the Unlimited Text and Unlimited Data plan. So I was wondering will I be charged for the text I've sent/recieved while not connected to a WiFi source? And I have turned the SMS option off on my phone.

Apple device to Apple device it utilizes data, depending on if Apple's servers are up and function. Wifi if available, cellular if not. If apple's servers are having problems and you have send as sms turned on it will send the message as sms, wifi or not. Imessage is Apples app and infrastructure

Apple device to other brand device - SMS/MMS is used no matter what

turning off send as sms only affects an apple to apple attempt to send through apples servers, if the message fails to send through the servers it sends through the sms/mms protocol if sned as sms is turned on

As far as being charged for SMS, not sure what they consider canada in the texting plan

Message 2 of 3
Scholar

Re: iMessage US to Canada

iMessage uses data so it can be WiFi or cellular (2G, 3G, 4G); if it says iMessage (with the message in blue), it means you used data. If it says "Sent as a Text Message," (with message in green), it means it send it as an SMS. If for the latter, you will charged international textin rates, unless you have a discount package. Receiving international messages is covered by the domestic messaging plan, in you case is unlimited.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support