Ask a question

Posted Jun 29, 2013
    4:04:45 AM
    View profile
    iMessage Question for Foreign Travel

My wife and I will be traveling to Europe next month.

I plan to use iMessage as the primary communication method with my son and daughter back in the USA during the trip.

Do I have to add the USA country code (001) to the cell phone numbers for my son and daughter in my contact list in my iPhone to make sure the message is sent correctly via cellular if wi-fi isn't available?

Thanks.

iMessage Question for Foreign Travel

3 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (3)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 29, 2013 6:10:56 PM
    (0)
    Employee

rjruby wrote:

My wife and I will be traveling to Europe next month.

I plan to use iMessage as the primary communication method with my son and daughter back in the USA during the trip.

Do I have to add the USA country code (001) to the cell phone numbers for my son and daughter in my contact list in my iPhone to make sure the message is sent correctly via cellular if wi-fi isn't available?

Thanks.

No, you do not need the country code for iMessage. Just remember that iMessage uses cellular data if not on wifi. You will need data roaming turned on and strongly advise you have an international data plan. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: iMessage Question for Foreign Travel

2 of 4 (372 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 2, 2013 9:20:26 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I am now overseas, disabled my cell data, but iMessage is working via wifi. My question is, while i am away halfway across the globe, will copies of my iMessages be viewable when a person (authorized to transact in account) within the family data plan get a copy of my SIM card and activate it on a another phone?  

3 of 4 (310 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 3, 2013 5:02:36 AM
    (0)
    Employee

rpbrn wrote:

I am now overseas, disabled my cell data, but iMessage is working via wifi. My question is, while i am away halfway across the globe, will copies of my iMessages be viewable when a person (authorized to transact in account) within the family data plan get a copy of my SIM card and activate it on a another phone?  

iMessage works via your apple id, so presuming someone could activate a copy of your sim on another phone, they would also need to be logged in with your apple id. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 4 (290 Views)