Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 7, 2010
8:58:11 PM
View profile
how to connect LG gu295 to Windows 7?

I'd like to load .vcf files and contact info I have in .csv files into my LG gu295.  How can I do this?  I looked in vain for a manual for the phone.  In fact, LG's site and Google's first fifty results don't even register that this phone exists.  I presume, therefore, that it's unique to AT&T.  Is that so?

Is there connection software for Windows 7 and this phone?  If so, where can I get it?  Does the phone support USB?  Where can I find this information?

Thanks for your help.

I'd like to load .vcf files and contact info I have in .csv files into my LG gu295.  How can I do this?  I looked in vain for a manual for the phone.  In fact, LG's site and Google's first fifty results don't even register that this phone exists.  I presume, therefore, that it's unique to AT&T.  Is that so?

Is there connection software for Windows 7 and this phone?  If so, where can I get it?  Does the phone support USB?  Where can I find this information?

Thanks for your help.

how to connect LG gu295 to Windows 7?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2010 10:16:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yes, please.  Anyone?

From what research I've done, it looks like a data card must be installed for the USB connection to work.  I've installed LG's PC Suite 2 and 3 on my computer.  2 finds and ID's the phone but every attempt to access anything on the phone returns "Connection failed" and then something about Multifunction and idle screen (sorry, didn't think to screen shot it at home and I'm at the office now).  3 never gives any indication that it's even found the phone, other than it ID's a com port to select for transfer, but returns the same error message.  Anytime the phone is connected via USB, I find 3 separate devices LG Configuration, LG CDMA Modem and I forget the 3rd.  It never shows up in Windows Explorer as an attached drive, though.  Changing the connection type on the phone (Music Sync, Mass Storage, Data Service) seems to have no effect.  On my first connection attempt, the computer went out and found a driver and installed it - I'm assuming that it's the correct driver for the phone/USB.

So, I'm thinking either I've overlooked a command or setting, a micro SD card has to be present, or I need to buy LG's PC Sync.  Hopefully someone has successfully connected to their PC and can guide me through the process.

Thanks!!!!!

Yes, please.  Anyone?

From what research I've done, it looks like a data card must be installed for the USB connection to work.  I've installed LG's PC Suite 2 and 3 on my computer.  2 finds and ID's the phone but every attempt to access anything on the phone returns "Connection failed" and then something about Multifunction and idle screen (sorry, didn't think to screen shot it at home and I'm at the office now).  3 never gives any indication that it's even found the phone, other than it ID's a com port to select for transfer, but returns the same error message.  Anytime the phone is connected via USB, I find 3 separate devices LG Configuration, LG CDMA Modem and I forget the 3rd.  It never shows up in Windows Explorer as an attached drive, though.  Changing the connection type on the phone (Music Sync, Mass Storage, Data Service) seems to have no effect.  On my first connection attempt, the computer went out and found a driver and installed it - I'm assuming that it's the correct driver for the phone/USB.

So, I'm thinking either I've overlooked a command or setting, a micro SD card has to be present, or I need to buy LG's PC Sync.  Hopefully someone has successfully connected to their PC and can guide me through the process.

Thanks!!!!!

Re: how to connect LG gu295 to Windows 7?

2 of 9 (17,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2010 11:26:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've determined that the phone will be recognized as an external device by a PC when it's attached via the micro-
USB cable.  I also was able to transfer files between my PC and phone via Bluetooth.  My particular requirement was to transfer contact info to the phone, as I wrote earlier, and in that I've been frustrated.  No software is available with which to do that.

AT&T put out a web app called AT&T Address Book that was supposed to allow syncing the address book in the phone with a database on a web server and also allow input of contact info from a csv file, but the app does not work.  AT&T has created a master failure list because so many people were calling with identical problems with this program.  I've wasted hours with AT&T tech support trying to get this accomplished.  This is something so rudimentary and so conventional yet they have utterly failed to satisfy me and tens of other customers.

Years ago, I used an LG phone and was very dissatisfied with it.  Ten years later, I see they have improved only marginally.  I am dreadfully disappointed with LG and AT&T both.

I've determined that the phone will be recognized as an external device by a PC when it's attached via the micro-
USB cable.  I also was able to transfer files between my PC and phone via Bluetooth.  My particular requirement was to transfer contact info to the phone, as I wrote earlier, and in that I've been frustrated.  No software is available with which to do that.

AT&T put out a web app called AT&T Address Book that was supposed to allow syncing the address book in the phone with a database on a web server and also allow input of contact info from a csv file, but the app does not work.  AT&T has created a master failure list because so many people were calling with identical problems with this program.  I've wasted hours with AT&T tech support trying to get this accomplished.  This is something so rudimentary and so conventional yet they have utterly failed to satisfy me and tens of other customers.

Years ago, I used an LG phone and was very dissatisfied with it.  Ten years later, I see they have improved only marginally.  I am dreadfully disappointed with LG and AT&T both.

3 of 9 (17,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 10:22:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

OK, making progress.  Still not quite the answer to my question but a step in the right direction.  The reply I received from LG is posted below.  At the moment, it is unverified as I have to acquire a microsd card to test it.  However, reading between the lines, I'm assuming that you cannot directly access the data or databases within the phone.  You can only access what's stored on the card, which makes sense to avoid corrupting live data or apps.  My assumption is that you can move your phone book to the storage card, access the card from your PC, back it up, perhaps make some changes, write it back and the upload it from the card to the phone.  A bit cumbersome but it does add a level of security to the process and data.  The local Wally World had 2GB microsd's for $9.88 last night (PNY's, I think).  20/20 hindsight - should have bought one:

From LG:

Dear peb,

Thank you for your email. I will be more than happy to assist you with this.

Yes, in order to connect the phone to the PC and transfer files (multimedia files only) from the phone to the PC, you will need to have a microSD card inserted into the phone.

I personally recommend using SanDisk microSD Cards for better compatibility and performance. The max capacity for this phone is 16G; therefore, you will be able to us microSD and or microSDHC cards.

Once you have the microSD card inserted into the phone and have moved the files from the internal memory to the memory card, you will need to connect the phone to the PC and go to:

Menu
Settings
Connections
USB Connections Mode.

This will allow your PC to recognize the phone as a USB mass storage device.

Hope this helps.

If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-793-8896 at your convenience.

D. G.
E-mail Administrator
Customer Interactive Center
LGEAI

OK, making progress.  Still not quite the answer to my question but a step in the right direction.  The reply I received from LG is posted below.  At the moment, it is unverified as I have to acquire a microsd card to test it.  However, reading between the lines, I'm assuming that you cannot directly access the data or databases within the phone.  You can only access what's stored on the card, which makes sense to avoid corrupting live data or apps.  My assumption is that you can move your phone book to the storage card, access the card from your PC, back it up, perhaps make some changes, write it back and the upload it from the card to the phone.  A bit cumbersome but it does add a level of security to the process and data.  The local Wally World had 2GB microsd's for $9.88 last night (PNY's, I think).  20/20 hindsight - should have bought one:

From LG:

Dear peb,

Thank you for your email. I will be more than happy to assist you with this.

Yes, in order to connect the phone to the PC and transfer files (multimedia files only) from the phone to the PC, you will need to have a microSD card inserted into the phone.

I personally recommend using SanDisk microSD Cards for better compatibility and performance. The max capacity for this phone is 16G; therefore, you will be able to us microSD and or microSDHC cards.

Once you have the microSD card inserted into the phone and have moved the files from the internal memory to the memory card, you will need to connect the phone to the PC and go to:

Menu
Settings
Connections
USB Connections Mode.

This will allow your PC to recognize the phone as a USB mass storage device.

Hope this helps.

If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-793-8896 at your convenience.

D. G.
E-mail Administrator
Customer Interactive Center
LGEAI

4 of 9 (17,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 11:02:44 AM
(0)
Contributor

peb74105 wrote:

...My assumption is that you can move your phone book to the storage card, access the card from your PC, back it up, perhaps make some changes, write it back and the upload it from the card to the phone.

From LG:

In the email, LG said multimedia files only.  That excludes the contact database, and, indeed, this data base, the address book, is not accessible with the tools available to users.  Also, I was able to transfer files between my PC and phone using Bluetooth.  I didn't specify the files should go to or come from the SD card, either.  I think they were stored in the phone's memory.

peb74105 wrote:

...My assumption is that you can move your phone book to the storage card, access the card from your PC, back it up, perhaps make some changes, write it back and the upload it from the card to the phone.

From LG:

In the email, LG said multimedia files only.  That excludes the contact database, and, indeed, this data base, the address book, is not accessible with the tools available to users.  Also, I was able to transfer files between my PC and phone using Bluetooth.  I didn't specify the files should go to or come from the SD card, either.  I think they were stored in the phone's memory.

5 of 9 (17,797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2010 1:57:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

PEB,

This may or may not prove to be of any help, but when you do get your microSD or microSDHC memory into your phone, you do indeed need to go to the Connections and Select USB.  But they failed to mentioned that if you have selected "Music Sync" then "music" is all that you can move from your computer to the phone using something like Windows Media Player.  If you want to move pictures or ringtones that you have either created as MP3's or that you have downloaded, you will have to copy them to the correct folder AFTER you change your USB setting to "Mass Storage".

I have yet to find any software that is workable as a contacts management tool.  I'm still looking thought.

PEB,

This may or may not prove to be of any help, but when you do get your microSD or microSDHC memory into your phone, you do indeed need to go to the Connections and Select USB.  But they failed to mentioned that if you have selected "Music Sync" then "music" is all that you can move from your computer to the phone using something like Windows Media Player.  If you want to move pictures or ringtones that you have either created as MP3's or that you have downloaded, you will have to copy them to the correct folder AFTER you change your USB setting to "Mass Storage".

I have yet to find any software that is workable as a contacts management tool.  I'm still looking thought.

6 of 9 (17,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2010 4:10:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

i finally got it to work (i've only tried sending photos from the phone to pc)

once your phone & pc are paired......

1) click on start button

2) under "search programs and files", type bluetooth

3) select "Bluetooth File Transfer"

4) select "receive files". Now your PC is ready & waiting to receive files.

5) now, go to the image and choose "send via bluetooth" & choose your pc.

the files should be transferred.

i finally got it to work (i've only tried sending photos from the phone to pc)

once your phone & pc are paired......

1) click on start button

2) under "search programs and files", type bluetooth

3) select "Bluetooth File Transfer"

4) select "receive files". Now your PC is ready & waiting to receive files.

5) now, go to the image and choose "send via bluetooth" & choose your pc.

the files should be transferred.

7 of 9 (16,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2013 6:52:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

And if you hane Windows 8 and no bluetooth?

And if you hane Windows 8 and no bluetooth?

8 of 9 (11,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2013 6:07:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Try the PC sync software from LG?

http://techchannel.radioshack.com/sync-lg-cell-phone-pc-1838.html

LG support page for it:

http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-GU295#pcsync

Install the USB driver from that page, then install  the PC Sync software from

http://www.lg.com/hk_en/support/pc-suite

The closest model I found was Others/gu285 - I'd try that version.

This is NOT a windows phone, btw.

Try the PC sync software from LG?

http://techchannel.radioshack.com/sync-lg-cell-phone-pc-1838.html

LG support page for it:

http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-GU295#pcsync

Install the USB driver from that page, then install  the PC Sync software from

http://www.lg.com/hk_en/support/pc-suite

The closest model I found was Others/gu285 - I'd try that version.

This is NOT a windows phone, btw.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 9 (11,289 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments