Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 14, 2012
10:53:51 PM
View profile
how can I keep my phone number when upgrading phone

Hi All!

I have 2 iPhone 4's on my AT&T account, both are eligible for an upgrade to the iPhone 5. When chatting with a representative today, I was informed that I would get new phone numbers when I upgraded to the new phone.

Is this correct? She said "there's no way I can bypass the system to let you keep your number"....I'm not coming from another carrier, I'm an AT&T customer and this seems silly. I've had my phone number for several years (Originally through Verizon then ported to AT&T in 2009 when we switched service). How is it that I can take my current phone number, become a Verizon customer, and port my number there and keep it, but I can't keep it through my current carrier?

Hi All!

I have 2 iPhone 4's on my AT&T account, both are eligible for an upgrade to the iPhone 5. When chatting with a representative today, I was informed that I would get new phone numbers when I upgraded to the new phone.

Is this correct? She said "there's no way I can bypass the system to let you keep your number"....I'm not coming from another carrier, I'm an AT&T customer and this seems silly. I've had my phone number for several years (Originally through Verizon then ported to AT&T in 2009 when we switched service). How is it that I can take my current phone number, become a Verizon customer, and port my number there and keep it, but I can't keep it through my current carrier?

how can I keep my phone number when upgrading phone

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2012 11:03:40 PM
(0)
Scholar
I've never had to change my phone number in an upgrade.
I've never had to change my phone number in an upgrade.

Re: how can I keep my phone number when upgrading phone

2 of 8 (1,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2012 1:14:36 AM
(0)
Professor
Me either. Kept the same number through the upgrades.
Me either. Kept the same number through the upgrades.

3 of 8 (1,812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2012 4:57:08 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Same here. I've never heard of being forced to change your number to upgrade. I suggest you place your order online. If you are presented with a screen to change your number, then cancel. But I bet there won't be any such screen and you'll be able to keep your same number. 

Same here. I've never heard of being forced to change your number to upgrade. I suggest you place your order online. If you are presented with a screen to change your number, then cancel. But I bet there won't be any such screen and you'll be able to keep your same number. 

4 of 8 (1,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2013 8:57:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am basically having the same problem: I went into ATT wireless, downtown San Diego, CA on 1/21/ 2013, to buy 2  prepaid cell phones.The salesman started talking up this home wireless service, but I told him no, I have Uverse home phone and I'm not having any problems. He then started telling my husband and I about this being the new ATT upgrade for home phone service, and how you could take it any where and make calls free. I kept protesting, but he said try it for 14 days, if you don't like it bring it back, and you haven't lost anything. WHAT A MISTAKE. After plugging it in we had to wait 2 days to try and use it. During that time my home uverse stopped working so we had no service. When it did start up, I couldn't receive calls, when I called out, people couldn't hear me. The 4th day, I was back in the store with the unit demanding they cncel the service and give me my UVERSE Voice back. They pretended to do so, and I left the store feeling pretty good about ATT. Well the 28th has come and gone, today is the 31st, I have NO home phone service, I have gotten so many excuses that I am thoroughly fed up with ATT and want nothing more to do with them. I also found out that the wirelss store had put a HOLD on my home number, so it couldn't be ported, waiting for my 14-day return period to pass so I would have no recourse. This little trick of theirs has really delayed my business production, as I scan confidential documents from home. I am returning both cell phones today 1/31/2013, This company has very little integrity!

I am basically having the same problem: I went into ATT wireless, downtown San Diego, CA on 1/21/ 2013, to buy 2  prepaid cell phones.The salesman started talking up this home wireless service, but I told him no, I have Uverse home phone and I'm not having any problems. He then started telling my husband and I about this being the new ATT upgrade for home phone service, and how you could take it any where and make calls free. I kept protesting, but he said try it for 14 days, if you don't like it bring it back, and you haven't lost anything. WHAT A MISTAKE. After plugging it in we had to wait 2 days to try and use it. During that time my home uverse stopped working so we had no service. When it did start up, I couldn't receive calls, when I called out, people couldn't hear me. The 4th day, I was back in the store with the unit demanding they cncel the service and give me my UVERSE Voice back. They pretended to do so, and I left the store feeling pretty good about ATT. Well the 28th has come and gone, today is the 31st, I have NO home phone service, I have gotten so many excuses that I am thoroughly fed up with ATT and want nothing more to do with them. I also found out that the wirelss store had put a HOLD on my home number, so it couldn't be ported, waiting for my 14-day return period to pass so I would have no recourse. This little trick of theirs has really delayed my business production, as I scan confidential documents from home. I am returning both cell phones today 1/31/2013, This company has very little integrity!

Re: how can I keep my phone number when switching from ATT home wireless to ATT UVERSE VOICE?

5 of 8 (1,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 5:28:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

I too want to upgrade my phone and service. I have had a wireless ATT account for years. I am shopping for a new carrier because there are better plans for the same money and I get a new phone. Nothing is free... I just want to keep my phone number!

I too want to upgrade my phone and service. I have had a wireless ATT account for years. I am shopping for a new carrier because there are better plans for the same money and I get a new phone. Nothing is free... I just want to keep my phone number!

6 of 8 (749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 9:07:08 AM
(0)
Expert

fnaskippy wrote:

you need to port your number to the new carrier, the carrier you choose will be able to help you. When looking at a new carrier, be sure that the carrier has decent coverage in your area that you plan on using the phone, browse their forums and talk to other people that use the carrier to see what their expierences are. The lowest price does not always mean decent service

fnaskippy wrote:

you need to port your number to the new carrier, the carrier you choose will be able to help you. When looking at a new carrier, be sure that the carrier has decent coverage in your area that you plan on using the phone, browse their forums and talk to other people that use the carrier to see what their expierences are. The lowest price does not always mean decent service

7 of 8 (701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 1:36:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

When it comes to upgrading your phone you will keep the same number, because all your doing is renewing your contract, and "upgrading" or "advancing" your old device. They may want you to change your number because its not an "At&t-Based" phone number. At first, it was ok to have that number because you ported that number in as a 'new customer'. Now that you have went through, and fulfilled your contract that number is no longer "valid" amongst ATT based phone numbers. If you ever noticed, Sprint, At&t, Verizon, and T-Mobile ALL have different types of phone numbers. When a person calls me I can almost tell what carrier they have by the pre-fix of the number.

Everything that I have told you is just my opinion; I am not exactly sure why they want you to change, BUT this could possibly be the reason why.

When it comes to upgrading your phone you will keep the same number, because all your doing is renewing your contract, and "upgrading" or "advancing" your old device. They may want you to change your number because its not an "At&t-Based" phone number. At first, it was ok to have that number because you ported that number in as a 'new customer'. Now that you have went through, and fulfilled your contract that number is no longer "valid" amongst ATT based phone numbers. If you ever noticed, Sprint, At&t, Verizon, and T-Mobile ALL have different types of phone numbers. When a person calls me I can almost tell what carrier they have by the pre-fix of the number.

Everything that I have told you is just my opinion; I am not exactly sure why they want you to change, BUT this could possibly be the reason why.

8 of 8 (649 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments