Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 13, 2013
12:59:28 PM
hotspot for my lapttop - using ATT and Nokia Windows phone

I want to leave my Nokia Windows cell phone plugged into charger in kitchen.

I want to access web using Laptop (windows 7) from my basement office.

I do not have WiFi in my house - want to use 4G network instead

? will this work - don't tell me it all depends - it all depends upon what (( using numbers ))

? will ATT data plan count MB via Laptop same as MB if cell phone traveling

? is this easy, normal, standard, everybody does it all the time OR tricky, hard, problematic

I want to leave my Nokia Windows cell phone plugged into charger in kitchen.

I want to access web using Laptop (windows 7) from my basement office.

I do not have WiFi in my house - want to use 4G network instead

? will this work - don't tell me it all depends - it all depends upon what (( using numbers ))

? will ATT data plan count MB via Laptop same as MB if cell phone traveling

? is this easy, normal, standard, everybody does it all the time OR tricky, hard, problematic

hotspot for my lapttop - using ATT and Nokia Windows phone

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 10:31:44 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, DrAlloway!

Thanks for posting. We'll need a little more information before we can answer your questions.

First of all, what kind of plan do you have on your cell phone currently? If it's a Mobile Share plan, what data package did you sign up for?

What will you be using your laptop for while it is tethered to your phone? How long? Keep in mind that video streaming and music streaming can use up quite a bit of data, especially if you're doing other things like e-mailing, surfing the web, and so on.

With so many different factors, it can be difficult to say with absolute certainty that this is a good option for you. However, your answers to the above questions should help.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns! Thanks!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, DrAlloway!

Thanks for posting. We'll need a little more information before we can answer your questions.

First of all, what kind of plan do you have on your cell phone currently? If it's a Mobile Share plan, what data package did you sign up for?

What will you be using your laptop for while it is tethered to your phone? How long? Keep in mind that video streaming and music streaming can use up quite a bit of data, especially if you're doing other things like e-mailing, surfing the web, and so on.

With so many different factors, it can be difficult to say with absolute certainty that this is a good option for you. However, your answers to the above questions should help.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns! Thanks!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: hotspot for my lapttop - using ATT and Nokia Windows phone

2 of 9 (9,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 11:06:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

I did NOT ask whether this was a good deal financially for me.

I asked a Technical Question - will it work ?

I did NOT ask whether this was a good deal financially for me.

I asked a Technical Question - will it work ?

3 of 9 (9,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 11:22:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

Since posting this I have learned some amazing facts about hotspot on ATT smartphone::

lets say I have Mobile Data Sharing and a hotspot enabled phone::

1) I can not connect my Laptop to my phone's hotspot without "registering" it with ATT

2) same for my wife's laptop and my tablet

3) if a friend comes over and wants to use my hotspot; their tablet would have to be registered also

4) for EVERY device I register/connect to my hotspot - ATT will charge me a Monthly Fee ($20 for each laptop)

Recognize that this is MY laptop - purchased years ago from Acer.  Recognize that I will pay for the data that passes between hotspot and laptop.  Recognize that ATT will then charge me an Additional $20 a month for MY laptop whether or not I actually use it that month.

Lets say I am traveling with my smartphone and laptop.  I need to do something on my laptop but there is no WiFi where I happen to be.  No Problem.  I can use hotspot on my smartphone to connect my laptop to WiFi via 4G network.  Well not really.  First I have to "register" my laptop with ATT; then I have to pay $20 per month until I can get ATT to turn off this monthly bill - hope it is not a 2 year contract for a 5 minute usage !!

Since posting this I have learned some amazing facts about hotspot on ATT smartphone::

lets say I have Mobile Data Sharing and a hotspot enabled phone::

1) I can not connect my Laptop to my phone's hotspot without "registering" it with ATT

2) same for my wife's laptop and my tablet

3) if a friend comes over and wants to use my hotspot; their tablet would have to be registered also

4) for EVERY device I register/connect to my hotspot - ATT will charge me a Monthly Fee ($20 for each laptop)

Recognize that this is MY laptop - purchased years ago from Acer.  Recognize that I will pay for the data that passes between hotspot and laptop.  Recognize that ATT will then charge me an Additional $20 a month for MY laptop whether or not I actually use it that month.

Lets say I am traveling with my smartphone and laptop.  I need to do something on my laptop but there is no WiFi where I happen to be.  No Problem.  I can use hotspot on my smartphone to connect my laptop to WiFi via 4G network.  Well not really.  First I have to "register" my laptop with ATT; then I have to pay $20 per month until I can get ATT to turn off this monthly bill - hope it is not a 2 year contract for a 5 minute usage !!

4 of 9 (9,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 11:49:12 AM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTMarianaCM on Nov 14, 2013 at 11:51:46 AM

Hello, again!

I was asking about your plan to make sure that you have one that allows tethering.

As for needing to register and pay $20 per device, I'm afraid that information is incorrect. Did you find that out from one of our representatives?

If you are on a Mobile Share plan, you would simply need to go into your phone's settings and turn your hotspot on. For more information on how to do so, click the links below.

Mobile Hotspot

Enable Hotspot

Once the hotspot is on, you'll see that there is a passcode. On your laptop, you would click on "available WiFi networks" to discover your phone's network. Click on it to connect. It will ask for a passcode. This will be the same passcode that is displayed on your phone.

There is no extra charge per device that you connect by tethering, nor do you have to register. However, if you incur any data overages while using your hotspot feature, charges would apply to your cell phone bill.

For more information about Mobile Share, click on the links below.

Mobile Share

Mobile Share Information

You will notice that there is a $20 charge per device that actually has a Mobile Share data plan and not for connecting TO a device with a Mobile Share data plan.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Hello, again!

I was asking about your plan to make sure that you have one that allows tethering.

As for needing to register and pay $20 per device, I'm afraid that information is incorrect. Did you find that out from one of our representatives?

If you are on a Mobile Share plan, you would simply need to go into your phone's settings and turn your hotspot on. For more information on how to do so, click the links below.

Mobile Hotspot

Enable Hotspot

Once the hotspot is on, you'll see that there is a passcode. On your laptop, you would click on "available WiFi networks" to discover your phone's network. Click on it to connect. It will ask for a passcode. This will be the same passcode that is displayed on your phone.

There is no extra charge per device that you connect by tethering, nor do you have to register. However, if you incur any data overages while using your hotspot feature, charges would apply to your cell phone bill.

For more information about Mobile Share, click on the links below.

Mobile Share

Mobile Share Information

You will notice that there is a $20 charge per device that actually has a Mobile Share data plan and not for connecting TO a device with a Mobile Share data plan.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (9,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 1:02:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes - I cross examined a Chat rep two ways to Sunday because I was outraged that ATT would charge me $20/m to "tether" my laptop to Nokia hotspot and $10/m for tablets.  You will notice that your website says the same thing - which is why I Chatted to make sure I was mad for a good reason.

So you are saying that I can connect my Laptop via Nokia hotspot and surf the web all day and the only money I will have to pay is for the MB or GB of Data that I use - and that usage goes against my, say, 2GB per month Data Sharing Plan.  ? right ?

Yes - I cross examined a Chat rep two ways to Sunday because I was outraged that ATT would charge me $20/m to "tether" my laptop to Nokia hotspot and $10/m for tablets.  You will notice that your website says the same thing - which is why I Chatted to make sure I was mad for a good reason.

So you are saying that I can connect my Laptop via Nokia hotspot and surf the web all day and the only money I will have to pay is for the MB or GB of Data that I use - and that usage goes against my, say, 2GB per month Data Sharing Plan.  ? right ?

6 of 9 (9,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 1:38:35 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello DrAlloway,

I apologize if the information on the site is confusing.

The site (and I believe in this case a chat rep) is providing a pricing information for laptops and tablets that have their own 3G/4G modems and connect directly to cellular network, like your phones do, so in those cases each device would be a separate line and have a separate charge. That's not your case.

What Mariana is saying is that if you have a Mobile Share plan, you can use your phone as a mobile hotspot, and it would act just like a wi-fi router. You can connect as many devices as you want (not only laptops and tablets, but any wi-fi enabled device) and there is no additional charge and no registration required. I use a hotspot feature on my own phone, and it works great, all I needed to do on my tablet is select a network and enter the password.

To go back to your original question, it should work fine, the only two factors to keep in mind would be the distance between your phone and a laptop and possibly building materials or wall structures that might interfere with a wi-fi signal.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Hello DrAlloway,

I apologize if the information on the site is confusing.

The site (and I believe in this case a chat rep) is providing a pricing information for laptops and tablets that have their own 3G/4G modems and connect directly to cellular network, like your phones do, so in those cases each device would be a separate line and have a separate charge. That's not your case.

What Mariana is saying is that if you have a Mobile Share plan, you can use your phone as a mobile hotspot, and it would act just like a wi-fi router. You can connect as many devices as you want (not only laptops and tablets, but any wi-fi enabled device) and there is no additional charge and no registration required. I use a hotspot feature on my own phone, and it works great, all I needed to do on my tablet is select a network and enter the password.

To go back to your original question, it should work fine, the only two factors to keep in mind would be the distance between your phone and a laptop and possibly building materials or wall structures that might interfere with a wi-fi signal.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 9 (9,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 8:28:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

thanks - your answers make much more sense

however

your website is not just confusing - it is downright wrong

try it yourself

select a phone

select a plan

add devices

nowhere does it suggest I need a donagle for my laptop to access 4G network

or a hotspot device

it is very clear that using the hotspot on my cell phone will incure these device charges

however

try it yourself

select a phone

select a plan

add devices

or a hotspot device

it is very clear that using the hotspot on my cell phone will incure these device charges

8 of 9 (9,282 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 5:42:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

DrAlloway wrote:

however

try it yourself

select a phone

select a plan

add devices

or a hotspot device

You're adding a device to a plan. That will be charged since it's no different than adding a phone to a plan.

'Hotspot' is a service you run on a device that lets you share that device's data with other things, via wifi.

There's nothing wrong with the website. If you have a device that supports cellular data directly, you can get it it's own data plan (or shared data plan) - if it doesn't directly support it, you'd need to use a cellular radio dongle.

That's the case where you DON'T use a wifi hotspot service on your phone.

DrAlloway wrote:

however

try it yourself

select a phone

select a plan

add devices

or a hotspot device

You're adding a device to a plan. That will be charged since it's no different than adding a phone to a plan.

'Hotspot' is a service you run on a device that lets you share that device's data with other things, via wifi.

There's nothing wrong with the website. If you have a device that supports cellular data directly, you can get it it's own data plan (or shared data plan) - if it doesn't directly support it, you'd need to use a cellular radio dongle.

That's the case where you DON'T use a wifi hotspot service on your phone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 9 (9,255 Views)