Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 9, 2012
4:00:32 AM
View profile
gophone and iphone 5

Hi there,

I'm from Germany and I'm about to buy an ipone 5 from at&t without a contact. I use at&t gophone when I'm in the US which is quite often. My question is, can I activate the iphone 5 with my gophone-account? The other question is, can I use the iphone 5 in Germany with my german sim-card or do I need to unlock the iphone?

Thank for your help,

Rieke

Hi there,

I'm from Germany and I'm about to buy an ipone 5 from at&t without a contact. I use at&t gophone when I'm in the US which is quite often. My question is, can I activate the iphone 5 with my gophone-account? The other question is, can I use the iphone 5 in Germany with my german sim-card or do I need to unlock the iphone?

Thank for your help,

Rieke

gophone and iphone 5

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2012 9:51:09 AM
(0)
Mentor

Th iPhone 5 requires a nano-sized SIM card that I do not think GoPhone offers right now.

Th iPhone 5 requires a nano-sized SIM card that I do not think GoPhone offers right now.

Re: gophone and iphone 5

2 of 8 (2,698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2012 10:09:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just found out that I can cut the sim-card to nano-size. I'm more interested to know, if I could use the iPhone with a german sim card or do I need to unlock it.

I just found out that I can cut the sim-card to nano-size. I'm more interested to know, if I could use the iPhone with a german sim card or do I need to unlock it.

3 of 8 (2,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2012 1:59:04 PM
(0)
Expert
Your best bet is to get the unlocked unbranded version directly from Apple, no fuss no muss no AT&T bloatware.
Your best bet is to get the unlocked unbranded version directly from Apple, no fuss no muss no AT&T bloatware.

4 of 8 (2,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2012 2:13:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

I know, but I can't find the unlocked iphone on apple.com. I want to buy it in the US, cause it is cheaper than in Europe. I just saw that you can buy it contract free at verizon and at&t. Do you have an idea where to buy it?

I know, but I can't find the unlocked iphone on apple.com. I want to buy it in the US, cause it is cheaper than in Europe. I just saw that you can buy it contract free at verizon and at&t. Do you have an idea where to buy it?

5 of 8 (2,667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2012 2:53:28 PM
(0)
Expert
The only info I could find points to a in store purchase.
The only info I could find points to a in store purchase.

6 of 8 (2,658 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2012 3:01:05 PM
(0)
Tutor
Where did u find this info?
Where did u find this info?

7 of 8 (2,656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2013 8:40:09 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 31, 2013 at 9:15:26 AM

First off, the iPhone is still the ONLY phone sold with ZERO carrier bloatware or branding, period. 

Second, you CAN buy an unlocked iPhone directly from Apple's website in the USA. The officially unlocked iPhone is the same phone sold worldwide, so you'll have no trouble using it in Germany. 

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5

Select the color you want, then select "Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free" by selecting the storage size you want. Select the "SIM-free" option. 

[Please keep it courteous]

First off, the iPhone is still the ONLY phone sold with ZERO carrier bloatware or branding, period. 

Second, you CAN buy an unlocked iPhone directly from Apple's website in the USA. The officially unlocked iPhone is the same phone sold worldwide, so you'll have no trouble using it in Germany. 

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5

Select the color you want, then select "Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free" by selecting the storage size you want. Select the "SIM-free" option. 

[Please keep it courteous]

[ Edited ]
8 of 8 (626 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments