gophone and iphone 5

Tutor

gophone and iphone 5

Hi there,

I'm from Germany and I'm about to buy an ipone 5 from at&t without a contact. I use at&t gophone when I'm in the US which is quite often. My question is, can I activate the iphone 5 with my gophone-account? The other question is, can I use the iphone 5 in Germany with my german sim-card or do I need to unlock the iphone?

Thank for your help,

Rieke

Message 1 of 8
Mentor

Re: gophone and iphone 5

Th iPhone 5 requires a nano-sized SIM card that I do not think GoPhone offers right now.

Message 2 of 8
Tutor

I just found out that I can cut the sim-card to nano-size. I'm more interested to know, if I could use the iPhone with a german sim card or do I need to unlock it.

Message 3 of 8
Expert

Your best bet is to get the unlocked unbranded version directly from Apple, no fuss no muss no AT&T bloatware.
Message 4 of 8
Tutor

I know, but I can't find the unlocked iphone on apple.com. I want to buy it in the US, cause it is cheaper than in Europe. I just saw that you can buy it contract free at verizon and at&t. Do you have an idea where to buy it?

Message 5 of 8
Expert

The only info I could find points to a in store purchase.
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Tutor

Where did u find this info?
Message 7 of 8

First off, the iPhone is still the ONLY phone sold with ZERO carrier bloatware or branding, period. 

Second, you CAN buy an unlocked iPhone directly from Apple's website in the USA. The officially unlocked iPhone is the same phone sold worldwide, so you'll have no trouble using it in Germany. 

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5

Select the color you want, then select "Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free" by selecting the storage size you want. Select the "SIM-free" option. 

[Please keep it courteous]

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support