family map will not locate phone for last 2 months

Contributor

family map will not locate phone for last 2 months

The phone was able to be located up till about 2 months ago. When the phone is with in a half mile of my house it locates fine. Anything beyond that it says phone can't be located must be turned off.

I have verified the GPS is on and does work. Both family maps and the auto schedule locate will not locate.

Can anyone help. Att just tells me the phone must be off.. If the GPS was broken shouldn't it use cell towers to locate?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 9 (3,813 Views)
Contributor

Re: family map will not locate phone for last 2 months

Same here. I have followed the ATT recommendation and installed the Check In app on my iphone 4s and my daughter's iphone 5.  It has not helped.  One out of every 100 times it actually may locate.  It had been working fine for months and then in May it just stopped.  We have tried it when we were sitting next to each other and it still does not work. I am going to have to cancel the subscription.  Too bad because it was a great way to track my teenager's progress down the highway coming and going to college. Really took away a lot of stress and did not have to bug her with a phone call or text to know where she was.  ATT Please fix it or dump the Family Map app for iphones.

Message 2 of 9 (3,492 Views)
Tutor

I have the exact same problem.  Family Map was able to locate my daughter's I Phone 5 from December 2012 until May 2013.  Then suddently I started getting the message "Cannot locate AT&T FamilyMap phone.  It may be off or out of service".  But weirdly it works about one out of 100 times.  If it can work one out of 100 times, it seems like it should be fixable.

Message 3 of 9 (3,269 Views)
Contributor

Wow!! Guess I'm not alone. My problems with Family Map exactly. Although, I can locate my daughter's Samsuang GalaxyS III pretty much any time, I cant do the same for my son's HTC One X device. Once in a blue moon it will surprise me and locate him, but like I said, only once in a blue moon.

Message 4 of 9 (3,010 Views)
Contributor

I switched to an app called life 360. Its $4 a month but works perfect
every time.
Message 5 of 9 (2,999 Views)
Highlighted

I have been jumping through hoops with these forums and AT&T technical support with this issue for days now.  No one has an answer.  It seems like Family Map will no longer work as phones get more sophisticated.  Has worked fine for me for YEARS though dumb phones now won't work at al with a Galaxy S4 and very poorly with an HTC One.  BUT AT&T will not admit it is a problem or a change in service.

Message 6 of 9 (2,583 Views)
Contributor

Has anyone had success on Technical Support fixing this problem? It's been 3 weeks and dozens of calls and still not luck. They are estimating 2 or more weeks in order for a solution.

Message 7 of 9 (2,464 Views)
Tutor

Family Map has not worked on my daughter's I-phone 5 for the last 6 months.? It had been working fine on that phone for several months prior to then.? I wasted a lot of time with AT&T back in May and June trying to get it to work (including installing the Check-In app) with no luck.? I finally came to the conclusion that AT&T is clueless on how to fix this problem and I would just have to give up on having it work on my daughter's phone.? It works fine on the other four phones on my account (none of which are I phone 5's).? But I would be very happy if they could get this problem fixed.
Message 8 of 9 (2,460 Views)
Contributor

I had same isue on daughters phone. After realy studying and compairing what was running on the galaxy s4 I noticed that she had swipe keyboard running. Look in location section and see if swipe keyboard is running. The swipe keyboard uses the gps. I turned off swipe keyboard and fixed issue. 

Message 9 of 9 (1,459 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.