Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 24, 2013
9:04:33 AM
View profile
downgrade mobile share plan & activation question

I am thinking about switching to AT&T but have a couple questions.

I am going to go with the mobile share plan and wanted to know if I can downgrade at any time without penalty or contract extension? or do I need to pick the smallest plan and updrage if needed? I am not sure what I will need 2gb 4gb or 6gb right now.

I will be porting numbers from Sprint and ordering online. I would like to get everything transfered over right around the end of the billing cycle for Sprint Without going past it of course. 

But at the same time I don't want to have AT&T phones sitting here useless for a couple weeks either.

What time frame shoud I expect for the following?

"Order online: AT&T will send a number transfer request to your current service provider and wait for confirmation to transfer the number. Once transfer confirmation is received your AT&T phone will be shipped. Your existing phone will continue to work until you receive your AT&T phone and activate it. Once your AT&T account is activated, your old service provider will be notified of your new service with AT&T and will cancel your account."

Thanks

I am going to go with the mobile share plan and wanted to know if I can downgrade at any time without penalty or contract extension? or do I need to pick the smallest plan and updrage if needed? I am not sure what I will need 2gb 4gb or 6gb right now.

I will be porting numbers from Sprint and ordering online. I would like to get everything transfered over right around the end of the billing cycle for Sprint Without going past it of course. 

But at the same time I don't want to have AT&T phones sitting here useless for a couple weeks either.

"Order online: AT&T will send a number transfer request to your current service provider and wait for confirmation to transfer the number. Once transfer confirmation is received your AT&T phone will be shipped. Your existing phone will continue to work until you receive your AT&T phone and activate it. Once your AT&T account is activated, your old service provider will be notified of your new service with AT&T and will cancel your account."

Thanks

downgrade mobile share plan & activation question

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2013 10:09:08 AM
(0)
Expert

michaelrj99 wrote:

Thanks

as of Oct 25 att will be discontinueing and individual data plans and only offer mobile share data plans to new customers, existing customers will retain what they have

michaelrj99 wrote:

Thanks

as of Oct 25 att will be discontinueing and individual data plans and only offer mobile share data plans to new customers, existing customers will retain what they have

Re: downgrade mobile share plan & activation question

2 of 8 (548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2013 7:16:30 PM
(0)
Employee
It makes it difficult that you are ordering devices...especially ofyou want iPhones. I think with timing you want it would be setting false expectations to think you will get phones approximately when your sprint contract ends. Your best bet is to go into an AT&T store and purchase devices. When you activate your phones with a port situation your other carrier's service will be canceled. Also, and I don't know this 100% but when you order the phones I'm sure you're expecting subsidized pricing...In order to get the subsidized pricing you will have to have created an account with AT&T and completed the port request. I would investigate this further.
It makes it difficult that you are ordering devices...especially ofyou want iPhones. I think with timing you want it would be setting false expectations to think you will get phones approximately when your sprint contract ends. Your best bet is to go into an AT&T store and purchase devices. When you activate your phones with a port situation your other carrier's service will be canceled. Also, and I don't know this 100% but when you order the phones I'm sure you're expecting subsidized pricing...In order to get the subsidized pricing you will have to have created an account with AT&T and completed the port request. I would investigate this further.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 8 (510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2013 7:27:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

The problem is if I order online I get free activation and a 50.00 credit.

The problem is if I order online I get free activation and a 50.00 credit.

4 of 8 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 12:04:36 AM
(0)
Employee
I would verify then with customer service or a representative from this site that if you do create an account and order phones that the ports will not be complete until you physically activate the devices themselves. I'd hate for you to risk ETFS (early termination fees) in lieu of the savings.
I would verify then with customer service or a representative from this site that if you do create an account and order phones that the ports will not be complete until you physically activate the devices themselves. I'd hate for you to risk ETFS (early termination fees) in lieu of the savings.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 8 (489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 4:21:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

If I could get someone from ATT&T to verify that the porting of the number and cancelation of my other carrier does not take effect until after I receive the devices and activate with AT&T that would be great.

I did find that quote from my original post from someone a couple years ago stating that the porting of the number and cancelation of my other carrier does not take effect until after I receive the devices and activate them with AT&T. But new confirmation would be helpfull.

I will not get any ETFS (early termination fees) because I am out of contract. I don't mind transfering service the week of the billing cycle of Sprint. I just did not want to spend the money on phones I can't use for a couple-few weeks early if possible.

If I could get someone from ATT&T to verify that the porting of the number and cancelation of my other carrier does not take effect until after I receive the devices and activate with AT&T that would be great.

I did find that quote from my original post from someone a couple years ago stating that the porting of the number and cancelation of my other carrier does not take effect until after I receive the devices and activate them with AT&T. But new confirmation would be helpfull.

I will not get any ETFS (early termination fees) because I am out of contract. I don't mind transfering service the week of the billing cycle of Sprint. I just did not want to spend the money on phones I can't use for a couple-few weeks early if possible.

6 of 8 (482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 6:33:34 AM
(0)
Employee
I suggest just going to another post where a representative has posted a link to PM them, if you click on it you should be able to private message them directly and verify. I want to say that your AT&T billing cycle will begin when you create the account though, make sure to ask.
I suggest just going to another post where a representative has posted a link to PM them, if you click on it you should be able to private message them directly and verify. I want to say that your AT&T billing cycle will begin when you create the account though, make sure to ask.

7 of 8 (473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 7:39:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

To answer your first question, you can change your data allotment as needed without any penalties or contract extensions.  I recommend that you make any changes at the beginning of a billing cycle, either by backdating (if necessary) or postdating.

To answer your first question, you can change your data allotment as needed without any penalties or contract extensions.  I recommend that you make any changes at the beginning of a billing cycle, either by backdating (if necessary) or postdating.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 8 (465 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments