Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 12, 2013
12:05:43 PM
disparate treatment
We have built a new home and the closest cell site is 13 1/2 miles away over hill terrain.
I would love to keep my existing service however no high speed internet available for a microcell use. We have had att wireless service over 10 years.
My neighbor at new home location i convinced to switch to att last year before homes became a reality was allowed to exit his multiple smartphone contract without any termination fees.
I spoke with att today over 2 hours and ultimately was told that's between att and them, I however will be required to pay to break my contract.
What a disappointment, just want my phones to work!
We have built a new home and the closest cell site is 13 1/2 miles away over hill terrain.
I would love to keep my existing service however no high speed internet available for a microcell use. We have had att wireless service over 10 years.
My neighbor at new home location i convinced to switch to att last year before homes became a reality was allowed to exit his multiple smartphone contract without any termination fees.
I spoke with att today over 2 hours and ultimately was told that's between att and them, I however will be required to pay to break my contract.

disparate treatment

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 5:30:48 AM
(0)
Expert

scharlans wrote:

unfortunately moving to an area with poor or no service is not a cluase to allow you to terminate the contract without paying the ETF. Service coverage is not promised to be 100 percent in all places at all times. What occurred with your neighor is a very rare occurrance that there maybe additional reasons behind the release of the requirement of the ETF that are not mentioned to other customers. Why don;t you specificly ask your neighbors how they did it?

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST within 2 to 3 business days.

scharlans wrote:

unfortunately moving to an area with poor or no service is not a cluase to allow you to terminate the contract without paying the ETF. Service coverage is not promised to be 100 percent in all places at all times. What occurred with your neighor is a very rare occurrance that there maybe additional reasons behind the release of the requirement of the ETF that are not mentioned to other customers. Why don;t you specificly ask your neighbors how they did it?

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST within 2 to 3 business days.

Re: disparate treatment

2 of 14 (622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 8:35:25 AM
(0)
Tutor
There are no differences.he's been a customer only 10 months, now has other provider that's works and I have no service and been a customer 10 years.he had 2 Motorola smartphones and I have 2 samsungs that att won't do for me what they did for him. He simply kept calling and asking. New provider will cost me much more monthly and I will have wasted 200 on insurance cost at Costco.not like I'm trying to work the system. Just want working phones for my family, not an unreasonable request!
There are no differences.he's been a customer only 10 months, now has other provider that's works and I have no service and been a customer 10 years.he had 2 Motorola smartphones and I have 2 samsungs that att won't do for me what they did for him. He simply kept calling and asking. New provider will cost me much more monthly and I will have wasted 200 on insurance cost at Costco.not like I'm trying to work the system. Just want working phones for my family, not an unreasonable request!

3 of 14 (599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 10:44:43 AM
(0)
Expert

scharlans wrote:

you can either PM like I mentioned or kepe calling - termination with no etf is rare, but I guess it does happen, if you got your phones at costco you might also check to see if they have any length of contract stipulations, a lot of the wholesale cell outlets have caveats that if you don;t keep service for x amount of time you are billed a surcharge.

scharlans wrote:

you can either PM like I mentioned or kepe calling - termination with no etf is rare, but I guess it does happen, if you got your phones at costco you might also check to see if they have any length of contract stipulations, a lot of the wholesale cell outlets have caveats that if you don;t keep service for x amount of time you are billed a surcharge.

4 of 14 (581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 1:25:53 PM
(0)
Tutor
He got his phones at Costco also.

5 of 14 (533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 4:28:35 PM
(0)
Expert

scharlans wrote:

doesn't matter, costco. walmart, bestbuy all publish the carriers rules and requirements, they can tack on additional termination charges that are unique to them since they are a authorized retailer, but they cannot alter the carrier terms of service and termination regulations

scharlans wrote:

doesn't matter, costco. walmart, bestbuy all publish the carriers rules and requirements, they can tack on additional termination charges that are unique to them since they are a authorized retailer, but they cannot alter the carrier terms of service and termination regulations

6 of 14 (509 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 9:47:46 AM
(0)
Tutor
Well I was asked if there was a difference between his contract and mine! He was originally offered to get out of 1/2 his etc, as have I now. Just seems like att should do right thing 1st time and not try to wear down customers.
I am prepared to wear and then some since I have a material change in my service. Not to mention the new administrave fee issue.
Well I was asked if there was a difference between his contract and mine! He was originally offered to get out of 1/2 his etc, as have I now. Just seems like att should do right thing 1st time and not try to wear down customers.
I am prepared to wear and then some since I have a material change in my service. Not to mention the new administrave fee issue.

7 of 14 (480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 10:53:18 AM
(0)
Expert

scharlans wrote:

good luck in your endevors

scharlans wrote:

good luck in your endevors

8 of 14 (469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 11:40:36 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thank you
Thank you

9 of 14 (453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 9:50:16 AM
(0)
Tutor
Just this weekend, neighbor was bite by baby rattlesnake. No bars in my place or area surrounding. Couldn't call 911.
Looks like my calls got me 110.00 bill credit. I don't want a bill credit, just want out so I can get phones that work!
Customers are important, just not that important, I guess with exceptions, other neighbor just got final bill with waived 480.00 etc. Nothing for me,.......10 year customer.
Just this weekend, neighbor was bite by baby rattlesnake. No bars in my place or area surrounding. Couldn't call 911.
Looks like my calls got me 110.00 bill credit. I don't want a bill credit, just want out so I can get phones that work!
Customers are important, just not that important, I guess with exceptions, other neighbor just got final bill with waived 480.00 etc. Nothing for me,.......10 year customer.

10 of 14 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 10:53:41 AM
(0)
Expert

scharlans wrote:

either pm the customer service team, call customer service or write them a letter. Posting here will not get your desired results

scharlans wrote:

either pm the customer service team, call customer service or write them a letter. Posting here will not get your desired results

11 of 14 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 1:35:02 PM
(0)
Tutor
Just venting to prep for another call and explain entire thing again.

12 of 14 (276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 5:04:50 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 26, 2013 at 5:05:31 PM

scharlans wrote:

why call, send the PM. You are getting to the exact same group of people unless you really enjoy sitting on the phone

scharlans wrote:

why call, send the PM. You are getting to the exact same group of people unless you really enjoy sitting on the phone

[ Edited ]
13 of 14 (254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 9:12:35 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi scharlans,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly to look into the coverage in your area and the options available.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Hi scharlans,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly to look into the coverage in your area and the options available.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

14 of 14 (135 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments