data plan

Mentor

data plan

I have been receiving texts and emails saying i'm nearing over my 2gb data plan. it will cost $10 if i go over but says data is unlimited over wifi how am i going over my data plan when my iphone is connected to my router i'm using my wifi i'm not using mobile internet and it says data is unlimited over wifi so another reason how am i going over when i'm on wifi in my home on my settings my network is checked so i'm connected through wifi my question is how am i nearing over 2gb? when i'm using my internet also data plan is unlimited over wifi

Message 1 of 37 (2,338 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: data plan

kdfederer wrote:

la321 wrote:

When receiving pictures through text messages on iphone does data have to be turned on?

Yes, data must be turned on to receive pictures in text messages.

Yes, if the picture is sent via MMS. No if the picture is sent via iMessage. For iMessage, wifi is enough. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 37 (394 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

sandblaster wrote:

kdfederer wrote:

la321 wrote:

When receiving pictures through text messages on iphone does data have to be turned on?

Yes, data must be turned on to receive pictures in text messages.

Yes, if the picture is sent via MMS. No if the picture is sent via iMessage. For iMessage, wifi is enough. 

in addition - a mms message is only sent via Imessage is the recieving device is a apple product, and other brand requires cellular data to be on at teh senders device

Message 32 of 37 (389 Views)

that sucks. Just make sure you don't listen to apps that stream music and videos. those apps would consume your data real quick. anyway I don't have to worry about that. I paid my last bill with At&T and I signed up with sprint where everything is unlimited.

Message 33 of 37 (373 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

i don't have any apps like that but att is looking into it because they said its strange since i've had the phone for a year and nothing has changed with the way i've used the phone and from what i showed them this just started to happen four months ago the data shouldn't be doing this i just monitored it myself the data didn't increase from last night from listening to youtube which i have always done since i had the phone the same results i showed them that doesn't take up much data i monitored it from onavo and from myatt which is why they said a department would be looking into it and contact me

Message 34 of 37 (357 Views)

good luck. anyway i'm done with at&t. I went to a cell phone provider that offers unlimited data. at least i have some peace of mind when it comes to data use Smiley Happy
Message 35 of 37 (344 Views)
Expert

macbookproi5 wrote:
good luck. anyway i'm done with at&t. I went to a cell phone provider that offers unlimited data. at least i have some peace of mind when it comes to data use Smiley Happy

guess it was with sprint - take it you did not read the fair use policy there - there unlimited data uses realy time congestion management aka throttling

http://www.sprint.com/legal/agreement.html

Message 36 of 37 (334 Views)

[ Edited ]

I only use data on my phone to check my facebook. To do a checkin on facebook. To tweet and post video on vine. I also want to listen to pandora and other radio apps. So if I want to go online all the time. I always use my computer for that. I don't think I would throttle data by using facebook or listening to pandora or aol radio. With At&T I had to download an app called wifi finder to look for the nearest free wifi hotspot. Unbelievable. Nothing against AT&T. but I would like to go to a provider where I can save some money. Before ending my plan with AT&T. I was only able to use 400 mb of data out of a 4GB plan. Another reason for the switch is I don't have to worry about text messages. If I'm gonna pay an additional 20 bucks for unlimited text. That's outrageous. I'll be paying the same amount at sprint. Anyway I don't regret my decision. 

Message 37 of 37 (325 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.