Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 22, 2013
7:21:40 AM
View profile
data plan

I have been receiving texts and emails saying i'm nearing over my 2gb data plan. it will cost $10 if i go over but says data is unlimited over wifi how am i going over my data plan when my iphone is connected to my router i'm using my wifi i'm not using mobile internet and it says data is unlimited over wifi so another reason how am i going over when i'm on wifi in my home on my settings my network is checked so i'm connected through wifi my question is how am i nearing over 2gb? when i'm using my internet also data plan is unlimited over wifi

I have been receiving texts and emails saying i'm nearing over my 2gb data plan. it will cost $10 if i go over but says data is unlimited over wifi how am i going over my data plan when my iphone is connected to my router i'm using my wifi i'm not using mobile internet and it says data is unlimited over wifi so another reason how am i going over when i'm on wifi in my home on my settings my network is checked so i'm connected through wifi my question is how am i nearing over 2gb? when i'm using my internet also data plan is unlimited over wifi

data plan

36 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(36)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2013 11:02:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Hey there!

One possible reason might be because the system is not accurately showing you your correct data usage. It can can take 2 -5 days before the system shows the correct usage. When the system updates to reflect your usage, a text message will be sent out when you use 65%, 90% and 100% of your data before you are charged for overages.

Hope that helps!
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Hey there!

One possible reason might be because the system is not accurately showing you your correct data usage. It can can take 2 -5 days before the system shows the correct usage. When the system updates to reflect your usage, a text message will be sent out when you use 65%, 90% and 100% of your data before you are charged for overages.

Hope that helps!
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: data plan

2 of 37 (1,629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 10:42:49 AM
(0)
Mentor

the text is saying 100% but i'm in my house the phone is connected through my network and the text says the data is unlimited through wifi i'm not using the data plan i'm using my internet

the text is saying 100% but i'm in my house the phone is connected through my network and the text says the data is unlimited through wifi i'm not using the data plan i'm using my internet

3 of 37 (1,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 10:49:25 AM
(0)
Expert

la321 wrote:

If you phone goes into hibernation the wifi radio is turned off the conserve battery power, it will switch automaticly and samlessly

la321 wrote:

If you phone goes into hibernation the wifi radio is turned off the conserve battery power, it will switch automaticly and samlessly

4 of 37 (1,595 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 11:38:18 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by la321 on Sep 23, 2013 at 11:53:04 AM

i've always used my router my internet through my internet service provider with my phone i've just started receiving these messages last month nothing has changed with the way i used my phone my phone stays connected when in hibernate

i've always used my router my internet through my internet service provider with my phone i've just started receiving these messages last month nothing has changed with the way i used my phone my phone stays connected when in hibernate

[ Edited ]
5 of 37 (1,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 11:51:32 AM
(0)
Expert

la321 wrote:

i've always used my router my internet through my internet service provider with my phone i've just started receiving these messages last month nothing has changed with the way i used my phone my phone doesn't switch

download a app that tracks cellular and wi-fi usage to find out what has changed. If IOS download a app by Onavo, if android search the google store for one. Something changed. It always has been that is a phone is hibernating they turn the wifi radio off to conserve power, on the Iphone on the iphone it used to be if the phone ws plugged in and went into hibernation the wifi stayed on, in one of the IOS 6.x.x updates this was changed, have verified it using a sniffer and a TCP MAC level trace on my router. phone awake and streaming, the unique MAC and IP address was present in both, phone went into hibernation and the MAC and IP address disappeared from the TCP MAC level trace and the sniffer

la321 wrote:

i've always used my router my internet through my internet service provider with my phone i've just started receiving these messages last month nothing has changed with the way i used my phone my phone doesn't switch

download a app that tracks cellular and wi-fi usage to find out what has changed. If IOS download a app by Onavo, if android search the google store for one. Something changed. It always has been that is a phone is hibernating they turn the wifi radio off to conserve power, on the Iphone on the iphone it used to be if the phone ws plugged in and went into hibernation the wifi stayed on, in one of the IOS 6.x.x updates this was changed, have verified it using a sniffer and a TCP MAC level trace on my router. phone awake and streaming, the unique MAC and IP address was present in both, phone went into hibernation and the MAC and IP address disappeared from the TCP MAC level trace and the sniffer

6 of 37 (1,578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 12:00:10 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by la321 on Sep 23, 2013 at 12:19:41 PM

i have an iphone my last update was in march i just recieved these messages last month in august before august i've been doing the same thing on my phone without getting these messages what is the name of the app?

i have an iphone my last update was in march i just recieved these messages last month in august before august i've been doing the same thing on my phone without getting these messages what is the name of the app?

[ Edited ]
7 of 37 (1,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 1:20:15 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:22:12 PM

la321 wrote:

Published by Onavo Mobile LTD, Data Usage-Onavo Count-Data Manager App read the TOS since it compiles the data in a unusual manner to save memory on the iphone.

If you have upgraded to IOS 7 last week, go through the settings carefully, they (apple) added a number of refreshes that will chew through cellular data and your battery

la321 wrote:

Published by Onavo Mobile LTD, Data Usage-Onavo Count-Data Manager App read the TOS since it compiles the data in a unusual manner to save memory on the iphone.

If you have upgraded to IOS 7 last week, go through the settings carefully, they (apple) added a number of refreshes that will chew through cellular data and your battery

[ Edited ]
8 of 37 (1,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 1:27:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

i'm using IOS 6

i'm using IOS 6

9 of 37 (1,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 3:06:44 PM
(0)
Expert

la321 wrote:

i'm using IOS 6

great choice

la321 wrote:

i'm using IOS 6

great choice

10 of 37 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 3:28:21 PM
(0)
Mentor

i've been using IOS 6 but those text messages have been coming

11 of 37 (1,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 5:41:59 PM
(0)
Expert

la321 wrote:

At one time the iphone would leave the wifo radio on when it was hibernating and charging, sometime in the lifepsan of IOS 6 that was changed, the wifi shuts off even when charging.

la321 wrote:

At one time the iphone would leave the wifo radio on when it was hibernating and charging, sometime in the lifepsan of IOS 6 that was changed, the wifi shuts off even when charging.

12 of 37 (1,479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 6:03:33 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by la321 on Sep 23, 2013 at 6:05:08 PM

how do i turn data off? so when i'm at home it won't affect my internet. i've noticed apple have made a lot of updates that weren't needed

how do i turn data off? so when i'm at home it won't affect my internet. i've noticed apple have made a lot of updates that weren't needed

[ Edited ]
13 of 37 (1,470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 6:50:10 PM
(0)
Expert

la321 wrote:

you can go into setting and turn cellular data off, one thing - it will prevent you from getting visual voicemail, that is one of the apps that require cellular data. try using that app to track down what is using the cellular data.

la321 wrote:

you can go into setting and turn cellular data off, one thing - it will prevent you from getting visual voicemail, that is one of the apps that require cellular data. try using that app to track down what is using the cellular data.

14 of 37 (1,452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 7:58:05 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by la321 on Sep 23, 2013 at 7:58:53 PM

while data is turned off can i still have the app running to determine what is causing my data to go over? with it on i don't want to have to pay more

while data is turned off can i still have the app running to determine what is causing my data to go over? with it on i don't want to have to pay more

[ Edited ]
15 of 37 (1,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 6:45:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

i turned data off but i played a video on youtube like i do all night the app didn't catch anything

i turned data off but i played a video on youtube like i do all night the app didn't catch anything

16 of 37 (1,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2013 6:18:16 PM
(0)
Mentor

ok now the app shows something 18kb web 9kb apple services and 4kb video/audio i use web during the day and i use video during the night when i sleep thats when i get the text messages but the video isnt taking up much thats the only time i get the text is when i play the video but i get it in the mornings

ok now the app shows something 18kb web 9kb apple services and 4kb video/audio i use web during the day and i use video during the night when i sleep thats when i get the text messages but the video isnt taking up much thats the only time i get the text is when i play the video but i get it in the mornings

17 of 37 (1,281 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2013 6:44:13 AM
(0)
Employee

I'm not terribly familiar with the iPhone, but you should be able to turn off your mobile data in the settings menu. This should ensure that you're only using your home wi-fi connection. 

I'm not terribly familiar with the iPhone, but you should be able to turn off your mobile data in the settings menu. This should ensure that you're only using your home wi-fi connection. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

18 of 37 (952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2013 7:07:33 AM
(0)
Employee

You may want to take a look in your online account and view your Usage. Look at the pattern, times, etc. To turn your data off in an iPhone you will go to your Settings Icon>Cellular>Cellular Data to enable/disable. 

In addition make sure you have logged out out of apps, disposed of previously visited webpages, etc. A quick way to accomplish this in iPhone is double tapping your home button quickly, you will see all webpages in a small display on screen and just below all the apps the have been accessing and updating through your data. Take your finger and swipe from bottom to top of each little web/app page presented. You will want to do this periodically as an iPhone user anyway. At times your phone can seem bogged down and this is a good way to keep it clear.

I hope this helps you.

You may want to take a look in your online account and view your Usage. Look at the pattern, times, etc. To turn your data off in an iPhone you will go to your Settings Icon>Cellular>Cellular Data to enable/disable. 

In addition make sure you have logged out out of apps, disposed of previously visited webpages, etc. A quick way to accomplish this in iPhone is double tapping your home button quickly, you will see all webpages in a small display on screen and just below all the apps the have been accessing and updating through your data. Take your finger and swipe from bottom to top of each little web/app page presented. You will want to do this periodically as an iPhone user anyway. At times your phone can seem bogged down and this is a good way to keep it clear.

I hope this helps you.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

19 of 37 (947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2013 8:38:30 AM
(0)
Expert

aBenjamin wrote:

be aware that turning off cellular data will make visual voicemail inoperative untill cellular data is turned back on

aBenjamin wrote:

be aware that turning off cellular data will make visual voicemail inoperative untill cellular data is turned back on

20 of 37 (930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2013 10:02:54 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by la321 on Oct 14, 2013 at 10:05:43 AM

If this is an iphone issue i will need to switch i wasn't having this problem during the summer i've never had this problem before with the iphone since i've had it until august no updates were made to the phone i was able to keep my data on while using my wifi and wasn't billed for overage because i was using my connection will the checking account online tell me if my phone is upgradeable?

If this is an iphone issue i will need to switch i wasn't having this problem during the summer i've never had this problem before with the iphone since i've had it until august no updates were made to the phone i was able to keep my data on while using my wifi and wasn't billed for overage because i was using my connection will the checking account online tell me if my phone is upgradeable?

[ Edited ]
21 of 37 (919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2013 1:12:33 PM
(0)
Expert

la321 wrote:

are you talkng about the IOS 7 upgrade? You need to go through the settings and turn things off, for example facebook witl auto check your logon even when it is not minimized, itunes will check for updates unless it is turned off to name a few. Apple made a lot of the base apps run in the background without showing as active.

la321 wrote:

are you talkng about the IOS 7 upgrade? You need to go through the settings and turn things off, for example facebook witl auto check your logon even when it is not minimized, itunes will check for updates unless it is turned off to name a few. Apple made a lot of the base apps run in the background without showing as active.

22 of 37 (907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2013 5:58:04 PM
(0)
Mentor

I still have IOS 6 data always has been on since i bought the phone last year in august i just started receiving the overage text in july and august and my first time being told by a rep that i went over data i used to be able to keep data on while using my wifi

I still have IOS 6 data always has been on since i bought the phone last year in august i just started receiving the overage text in july and august and my first time being told by a rep that i went over data i used to be able to keep data on while using my wifi

23 of 37 (893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2013 7:28:48 PM
(0)
Expert

la321 wrote:

In one of the iterations of IOS 6 Apple made a change, it used to ne that when the phone was charging and it went into hibernation it stayed on wifi unlike if it was not on the charger which would kick to cellular data, now even if the phone is charging and it goes into hibernation the wifi shuts off. so if you have anything that auto updates like facebook or music streaming the devie is using cellular data if it is in hibernation

la321 wrote:

In one of the iterations of IOS 6 Apple made a change, it used to ne that when the phone was charging and it went into hibernation it stayed on wifi unlike if it was not on the charger which would kick to cellular data, now even if the phone is charging and it goes into hibernation the wifi shuts off. so if you have anything that auto updates like facebook or music streaming the devie is using cellular data if it is in hibernation

24 of 37 (886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2013 7:48:43 PM
(0)
Mentor

when its time to upgrade again i'll look at another phone probably a galaxy

when its time to upgrade again i'll look at another phone probably a galaxy

25 of 37 (881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 10:40:25 AM
(0)
Mentor

does the galaxy s4 have this problem? if data is turned off will it turn off visual voicemail as well

does the galaxy s4 have this problem? if data is turned off will it turn off visual voicemail as well

26 of 37 (731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 3:32:25 PM
(0)
Expert

la321 wrote:

Maybe an android person can answer that, I don;t do android.Guessing it works like IOS then yes it requires cellular data, the voice mail is downloaded to the phone as a wav or some other audio file format same as with a MMS text message. Which by the way will also not work in cellular data is turned off

la321 wrote:

Maybe an android person can answer that, I don;t do android.Guessing it works like IOS then yes it requires cellular data, the voice mail is downloaded to the phone as a wav or some other audio file format same as with a MMS text message. Which by the way will also not work in cellular data is turned off

27 of 37 (712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 3:57:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

Is there anyone on here that knows alot about android?

Is there anyone on here that knows alot about android?

28 of 37 (711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 8:51:37 PM
(0)
Mentor

When receiving pictures through text messages on iphone does data have to be turned on?

When receiving pictures through text messages on iphone does data have to be turned on?

29 of 37 (513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 5:27:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

la321 wrote:

Yes, data must be turned on to receive pictures in text messages.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

la321 wrote:

Yes, data must be turned on to receive pictures in text messages.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

30 of 37 (500 Views)