data plan

Mentor

data plan

I have been receiving texts and emails saying i'm nearing over my 2gb data plan. it will cost $10 if i go over but says data is unlimited over wifi how am i going over my data plan when my iphone is connected to my router i'm using my wifi i'm not using mobile internet and it says data is unlimited over wifi so another reason how am i going over when i'm on wifi in my home on my settings my network is checked so i'm connected through wifi my question is how am i nearing over 2gb? when i'm using my internet also data plan is unlimited over wifi

Message 1 of 37 (2,339 Views)
Mentor

Re: data plan

i turned data off but i played a video on youtube like i do all night the app didn't catch anything

Message 16 of 37 (1,840 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: data plan

ok now the app shows something 18kb web 9kb apple services and 4kb video/audio i use web during the day and i use video during the night when i sleep thats when i get the text messages but the video isnt taking up much thats the only time i get the text is when i play the video but i get it in the mornings

Message 17 of 37 (1,766 Views)
Employee

Re: data plan

I'm not terribly familiar with the iPhone, but you should be able to turn off your mobile data in the settings menu. This should ensure that you're only using your home wi-fi connection. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 18 of 37 (1,437 Views)
Employee

Re: data plan

You may want to take a look in your online account and view your Usage. Look at the pattern, times, etc. To turn your data off in an iPhone you will go to your Settings Icon>Cellular>Cellular Data to enable/disable. 

In addition make sure you have logged out out of apps, disposed of previously visited webpages, etc. A quick way to accomplish this in iPhone is double tapping your home button quickly, you will see all webpages in a small display on screen and just below all the apps the have been accessing and updating through your data. Take your finger and swipe from bottom to top of each little web/app page presented. You will want to do this periodically as an iPhone user anyway. At times your phone can seem bogged down and this is a good way to keep it clear.

 

I hope this helps you.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 19 of 37 (1,432 Views)
Expert

Re: data plan


aBenjamin wrote:

I'm not terribly familiar with the iPhone, but you should be able to turn off your mobile data in the settings menu. This should ensure that you're only using your home wi-fi connection. 


be aware that turning off cellular data will make visual voicemail inoperative untill cellular data is turned back on

Message 20 of 37 (1,415 Views)
Mentor

Re: data plan

[ Edited ]

If this is an iphone issue i will need to switch i wasn't having this problem during the summer i've never had this problem before with the iphone since i've had it until august no updates were made to the phone i was able to keep my data on while using my wifi and wasn't billed for overage because i was using my connection will the checking account online tell me if my phone is upgradeable?

Message 21 of 37 (1,404 Views)
Expert

Re: data plan


la321 wrote:

If this is an iphone issue i will need to switch i wasn't having this problem during the summer i've never had this problem before with the iphone since i've had it until august no updates were made to the phone i was able to keep my data on while using my wifi and wasn't billed for overage because i was using my connection will the checking account online tell me if my phone is upgradeable?


are you talkng about the IOS 7 upgrade? You need to go through the settings and turn things off, for example facebook witl auto check your logon even when it is not minimized, itunes will check for updates unless it is turned off to name a few. Apple made a lot of the base apps run in the background without showing as active.

Message 22 of 37 (1,392 Views)
Mentor

Re: data plan

I still have IOS 6 data always has been on since i bought the phone last year in august i just started receiving the overage text in july and august and my first time being told by a rep that i went over data i used to be able to keep data on while using my wifi

Message 23 of 37 (1,378 Views)
Expert

Re: data plan


la321 wrote:

I still have IOS 6 data always has been on since i bought the phone last year in august i just started receiving the overage text in july and august and my first time being told by a rep that i went over data i used to be able to keep data on while using my wifi


In one of the iterations of IOS 6 Apple made a change, it used to ne that when the phone was charging and it went into hibernation it stayed on wifi unlike if it was not on the charger which would kick to cellular data, now even if the phone is charging and it goes into hibernation the wifi shuts off. so if you have anything that auto updates like facebook or music streaming the devie is using cellular data if it is in hibernation

Message 24 of 37 (1,371 Views)
Mentor

Re: data plan

when its time to upgrade again i'll look at another phone probably a galaxy

Message 25 of 37 (1,366 Views)
Mentor

Re: data plan

does the galaxy s4 have this problem? if data is turned off will it turn off visual voicemail as well

Message 26 of 37 (1,216 Views)
Expert

Re: data plan


la321 wrote:

does the galaxy s4 have this problem? if data is turned off will it turn off visual voicemail as well


Maybe an android person can answer that, I don;t do android.Guessing it works like IOS then yes it requires cellular data, the voice mail is downloaded to the phone as a wav or some other audio file format same as with a MMS text message. Which by the way will also not work in cellular data is turned off

Message 27 of 37 (1,197 Views)
Mentor

Re: data plan

Is there anyone on here that knows alot about android?

Message 28 of 37 (1,196 Views)
Mentor

Re: data plan

When receiving pictures through text messages on iphone does data have to be turned on?

Message 29 of 37 (998 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: data plan


la321 wrote:

When receiving pictures through text messages on iphone does data have to be turned on?


Yes, data must be turned on to receive pictures in text messages.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 30 of 37 (985 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.