data plan

Mentor

data plan

I have been receiving texts and emails saying i'm nearing over my 2gb data plan. it will cost $10 if i go over but says data is unlimited over wifi how am i going over my data plan when my iphone is connected to my router i'm using my wifi i'm not using mobile internet and it says data is unlimited over wifi so another reason how am i going over when i'm on wifi in my home on my settings my network is checked so i'm connected through wifi my question is how am i nearing over 2gb? when i'm using my internet also data plan is unlimited over wifi

Message 1 of 37 (2,337 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Re: data plan

Hey there!

One possible reason might be because the system is not accurately showing you your correct data usage. It can can take 2 -5 days before the system shows the correct usage. When the system updates to reflect your usage, a text message will be sent out when you use 65%, 90% and 100% of your data before you are charged for overages.

Hope that helps!
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 37 (2,115 Views)
Mentor

the text is saying 100% but i'm in my house the phone is connected through my network and the text says the data is unlimited through wifi i'm not using the data plan i'm using my internet

Message 3 of 37 (2,084 Views)
Expert

la321 wrote:

the text is saying 100% but i'm in my house the phone is connected through my network and the text says the data is unlimited through wifi i'm not using the data plan i'm using my internet

If you phone goes into hibernation the wifi radio is turned off the conserve battery power, it will switch automaticly and samlessly

Message 4 of 37 (2,081 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

i've always used my router my internet through my internet service provider with my phone i've just started receiving these messages last month nothing has changed with the way i used my phone my phone stays connected when in hibernate

Message 5 of 37 (2,068 Views)
Expert

la321 wrote:

i've always used my router my internet through my internet service provider with my phone i've just started receiving these messages last month nothing has changed with the way i used my phone my phone doesn't switch

download a app that tracks cellular and wi-fi usage to find out what has changed. If IOS download a app by Onavo, if android search the google store for one. Something changed. It always has been that is a phone is hibernating they turn the wifi radio off to conserve power, on the Iphone on the iphone it used to be if the phone ws plugged in and went into hibernation the wifi stayed on, in one of the IOS 6.x.x updates this was changed, have verified it using a sniffer and a TCP MAC level trace on my router. phone awake and streaming, the unique MAC and IP address was present in both, phone went into hibernation and the MAC and IP address disappeared from the TCP MAC level trace and the sniffer

Message 6 of 37 (2,064 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

i have an iphone my last update was in march i just recieved these messages last month in august before august i've been doing the same thing on my phone without getting these messages what is the name of the app?

Message 7 of 37 (2,056 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

la321 wrote:

i have an iphone my last update was in march i just recieved these messages last month in august before august i've been doing the same thing on my phone without getting these messages what is the name of the app?

Published by Onavo Mobile LTD, Data Usage-Onavo Count-Data Manager App read the TOS since it compiles the data in a unusual manner to save memory on the iphone.

If you have upgraded to IOS 7 last week, go through the settings carefully, they (apple) added a number of refreshes that will chew through cellular data and your battery

Message 8 of 37 (2,038 Views)
Mentor

i'm using IOS 6

Message 9 of 37 (2,023 Views)
Expert

la321 wrote:

i'm using IOS 6

great choice

Message 10 of 37 (1,999 Views)
Mentor

i've been using IOS 6 but those text messages have been coming

Message 11 of 37 (1,984 Views)
Expert

la321 wrote:

i've been using IOS 6 but those text messages have been coming

At one time the iphone would leave the wifo radio on when it was hibernating and charging, sometime in the lifepsan of IOS 6 that was changed, the wifi shuts off even when charging.

Message 12 of 37 (1,965 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

how do i turn data off? so when i'm at home it won't affect my internet. i've noticed apple have made a lot of updates that weren't needed

Message 13 of 37 (1,956 Views)
Expert

la321 wrote:

how do i turn data off? so when i'm at home it won't affect my internet. i've noticed apple have made a lot of updates that weren't needed

you can go into setting and turn cellular data off, one thing - it will prevent you from getting visual voicemail, that is one of the apps that require cellular data. try using that app to track down what is using the cellular data.

Message 14 of 37 (1,938 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

while data is turned off can i still have the app running to determine what is causing my data to go over? with it on i don't want to have to pay more

Message 15 of 37 (1,922 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.