Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 14, 2013
6:29:13 PM
View profile
can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

hi, i just came back from an at&t store, and they tried to set up a gophone account.  but i wanted to port my existing verizon number into the gophone plan.  problem is, they could not do it.  they said it was not giving the option to port the number....

my question is, was it just employee incompetence?  or is it true, you can't port a verizon number into gohpone?

hi, i just came back from an at&t store, and they tried to set up a gophone account.  but i wanted to port my existing verizon number into the gophone plan.  problem is, they could not do it.  they said it was not giving the option to port the number....

my question is, was it just employee incompetence?  or is it true, you can't port a verizon number into gohpone?

can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 7:09:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
My mom ported her Verizon month-to-month postpaid phone number to an AT&T GoPhone account around this time last year, so I'm sure it can be done. It was even done over the phone.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

My mom ported her Verizon month-to-month postpaid phone number to an AT&T GoPhone account around this time last year, so I'm sure it can be done. It was even done over the phone.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

2 of 19 (18,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 9:46:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

wonder why they couldn't do it at the store.  i didn't get a good look at what they were doing. i saw one guy typing at a ipad, and about a minute later said it wasnt possible.

i wonder if it is best to set up a gophone account first or call customer support and try to do the port while setting up service?

wonder why they couldn't do it at the store.  i didn't get a good look at what they were doing. i saw one guy typing at a ipad, and about a minute later said it wasnt possible.

i wonder if it is best to set up a gophone account first or call customer support and try to do the port while setting up service?

3 of 19 (18,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 10:37:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

wuerty wrote:

No - don´t set up a account ---- call +1 (800) 901 9878 from any phone and press three time 0 

than you can speak to a human --- the will assist you.

Don´t forget there are no kangaroos in Austria !!! 

wuerty wrote:

No - don´t set up a account ---- call +1 (800) 901 9878 from any phone and press three time 0 

No kangaroos in Austria!!!

4 of 19 (18,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2013 10:51:07 AM
(0)
Teacher

oh ok, thanks.

btw is the sim card suppose to have 'go phone' displayed on it?  i think the guy at the store gave me a normal at&t sim card. i see nothing about go phone on it, just "rethink possible" and the at&t logo.  i'm thinking the guys at this store had no idea what they were doing

=/

oh ok, thanks.

btw is the sim card suppose to have 'go phone' displayed on it?  i think the guy at the store gave me a normal at&t sim card. i see nothing about go phone on it, just "rethink possible" and the at&t logo.  i'm thinking the guys at this store had no idea what they were doing

=/

5 of 19 (18,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2013 11:08:37 AM
(0)
Scholar
Yes now all SIM Card the same
Yes now all SIM Card the same

6 of 19 (18,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2013 11:39:34 AM
(0)
Teacher

oh ok, thanks.  i had seen some byod go phone sim card kits, but they had 'go phone' written all over the sim card and packaging etc.

oh ok, thanks.  i had seen some byod go phone sim card kits, but they had 'go phone' written all over the sim card and packaging etc.

7 of 19 (18,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2013 1:07:17 PM
(0)
Scholar
Yes thats Old stuff
Yes thats Old stuff

8 of 19 (18,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2013 5:42:28 PM
(0)
Master

Osttiroler wrote:

wuerty wrote:

An account can be set up first before the number is ported. The OP will simply be given a Temp. Number until the Verizon number is ported in. 

Osttiroler wrote:

wuerty wrote:

An account can be set up first before the number is ported. The OP will simply be given a Temp. Number until the Verizon number is ported in. 

9 of 19 (18,145 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2013 9:30:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Irish Rose wrote:

Osttiroler wrote:

wuerty wrote:

Pretty sure that's what they had my mother do when she was getting ready to port her number over... I seem to remember having her write down a random number until her original one could be used. Smiley Happy

Irish Rose wrote:

Osttiroler wrote:

wuerty wrote:

Pretty sure that's what they had my mother do when she was getting ready to port her number over... I seem to remember having her write down a random number until her original one could be used. Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 19 (18,129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2013 5:31:08 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by wuerty on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:15:43 PM

000 did not work for me.  afterwards i just got an automated message to go see someone in one of the at&t stores. the only other options were "please input your phone number" which i did not have since i had not set up an account yet.  and "if you don't know your number dial 611"

edit: well chat support was not helpful either.  they said go get help in the store.  but those guys in the store said it was impossible to port a number into gophone...  so i guess at&t does not want my business

000 did not work for me.  afterwards i just got an automated message to go see someone in one of the at&t stores. the only other options were "please input your phone number" which i did not have since i had not set up an account yet.  and "if you don't know your number dial 611"

edit: well chat support was not helpful either.  they said go get help in the store.  but those guys in the store said it was impossible to port a number into gophone...  so i guess at&t does not want my business

[ Edited ]
11 of 19 (18,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2013 10:39:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

wuerty wrote:

Here's the best possible way I can explain this. First, you should set up a GoPhone account with a temporary phone number if you have not done so already. After the account is set up and active, I would suggest calling customer service and inquiring about porting your number over from Verizon, as long as it's still available. They should be able to do this for you over the phone. If possible, get an AT&T representative on one end, and a Verizon representative on the other end. This is exactly how my mother did it and it was painless. I thought it would be very difficult, but it wasn't. She woke up with her active Verizon phone and had an active AT&T iPhone with the same phone number within the next hour or so. 

I hope this helps clear up any confusion/doubt! 

wuerty wrote:

Here's the best possible way I can explain this. First, you should set up a GoPhone account with a temporary phone number if you have not done so already. After the account is set up and active, I would suggest calling customer service and inquiring about porting your number over from Verizon, as long as it's still available. They should be able to do this for you over the phone. If possible, get an AT&T representative on one end, and a Verizon representative on the other end. This is exactly how my mother did it and it was painless. I thought it would be very difficult, but it wasn't. She woke up with her active Verizon phone and had an active AT&T iPhone with the same phone number within the next hour or so. 

I hope this helps clear up any confusion/doubt! 

12 of 19 (18,013 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 4:16:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

thats what i was going to do originally, but a few people in this topic were saying NO! don't do that! call that number first and speak with a human etc.

thats what i was going to do originally, but a few people in this topic were saying NO! don't do that! call that number first and speak with a human etc.

13 of 19 (18,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 10:00:35 AM
(0)
Community Support

wuerty wrote:

Wuerty, did the representative at the store check by account number or by your telephone number? If he/she checked by telephone number, it will result in an error message. Your account number is 9-10 digits long and is on your monthly invoice. 

Is the number still active? Is your account with Verizon still open? If not, the port will be unsuccesssful. 

These are the only two situations that a port would not be allowed. 

If neither the account number or account status are an issue, I recommend you go back to the store. 

Thank you

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

wuerty wrote:

Wuerty, did the representative at the store check by account number or by your telephone number? If he/she checked by telephone number, it will result in an error message. Your account number is 9-10 digits long and is on your monthly invoice. 

Is the number still active? Is your account with Verizon still open? If not, the port will be unsuccesssful. 

These are the only two situations that a port would not be allowed. 

If neither the account number or account status are an issue, I recommend you go back to the store. 

Thank you

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

14 of 19 (17,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 11:26:30 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by wuerty on Jun 19, 2013 at 11:27:49 AM

yes, the number is still active. the account is still open.  i don't think it ever got to the 'allowed' or not stage.

i don't know the specifics of what they store employees did.  all i saw was they fiddled with their ipad for a couple minutes and ultimately they either didn't know how to do a number port, or i think they said they could not port the number to a gophone plan.

so i asked for a sim and they gave me one.  and thats where i am today. i tried to call the 1800 number and got nothing but automated messages or directed to go talk to someone in the store.  so basically a deadend.

yes, the number is still active. the account is still open.  i don't think it ever got to the 'allowed' or not stage.

i don't know the specifics of what they store employees did.  all i saw was they fiddled with their ipad for a couple minutes and ultimately they either didn't know how to do a number port, or i think they said they could not port the number to a gophone plan.

so i asked for a sim and they gave me one.  and thats where i am today. i tried to call the 1800 number and got nothing but automated messages or directed to go talk to someone in the store.  so basically a deadend.

[ Edited ]
15 of 19 (17,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 7:33:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

wuerty wrote:

i tried to call the 1800 number and got nothing but automated messages or directed to go talk to someone in the store.  so basically a deadend.

Try calling the number again. You will continue to get automated voice prompts, but ignore them and keep repeating "customer service." You may need to say it three to four times. The system will eventually get confused and transfer you to a live AT&T customer service representative who should be able to help you port your Verizon number over. 

wuerty wrote:

i tried to call the 1800 number and got nothing but automated messages or directed to go talk to someone in the store.  so basically a deadend.

Try calling the number again. You will continue to get automated voice prompts, but ignore them and keep repeating "customer service." You may need to say it three to four times. The system will eventually get confused and transfer you to a live AT&T customer service representative who should be able to help you port your Verizon number over. 

16 of 19 (17,926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 1:19:10 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by wuerty on Jun 20, 2013 at 5:16:20 PM

nope that does not work either. saying 'customer service' repeatedly does nothing but make the automated message say dial 611 on your phone or go get help with someone in the store .  i think these methods suggested are no longer valid means for getting in touch with a human. 

edit:  well finally got ahold of someone by dialing 1-888-333-6651 and pressing 3, then 2.  the guy was helpful in ~tryinging~ to set me up with porting the number and getting a gophone plan.  

however there was a problem.  i gave him the imei # and he said i cannot put that phone on gophone plan.  only option was postpaid w/o a contract.  my phone is a nexus 4, and i know i've read other people having this phone on a gophone plan in the past.  but he looked in his computer and it said it was incompatible with gophone plans.

so back to square 1

edit 2:  finally success!

i just got back from the store and got everything taken care of. i had bought the nexus from google about a week ago, so i knew everything was ok on that end. the first att store i went to a few days ago left me with a very bad impression. but now it must have been as i had suspected all along:  the people at that store were basically incompetent (either that or lazy) b/c they had no idea how to do anything. this was even a corporate store i had gone to.

but this other store i went to today had much nicer, friendlier, helpful people. it was like night and day. they were able to port my number and also set up the account. the lady at this other store did check the imei number, and told me before finalizing everything that my phone would not have data access, but i went ahead anyway b/c i knew better. i figure it must be a disclaimer that they give to people using the nexus phones. so after everything got set up i tested it out, and everything worked like it should. i did a quick reboot and i didn't have to do anything with apn setting either, it was automatically setup.

nope that does not work either. saying 'customer service' repeatedly does nothing but make the automated message say dial 611 on your phone or go get help with someone in the store .  i think these methods suggested are no longer valid means for getting in touch with a human. 

edit:  well finally got ahold of someone by dialing 1-888-333-6651 and pressing 3, then 2.  the guy was helpful in ~tryinging~ to set me up with porting the number and getting a gophone plan.  

however there was a problem.  i gave him the imei # and he said i cannot put that phone on gophone plan.  only option was postpaid w/o a contract.  my phone is a nexus 4, and i know i've read other people having this phone on a gophone plan in the past.  but he looked in his computer and it said it was incompatible with gophone plans.

so back to square 1

edit 2:  finally success!

i just got back from the store and got everything taken care of. i had bought the nexus from google about a week ago, so i knew everything was ok on that end. the first att store i went to a few days ago left me with a very bad impression. but now it must have been as i had suspected all along:  the people at that store were basically incompetent (either that or lazy) b/c they had no idea how to do anything. this was even a corporate store i had gone to.

but this other store i went to today had much nicer, friendlier, helpful people. it was like night and day. they were able to port my number and also set up the account. the lady at this other store did check the imei number, and told me before finalizing everything that my phone would not have data access, but i went ahead anyway b/c i knew better. i figure it must be a disclaimer that they give to people using the nexus phones. so after everything got set up i tested it out, and everything worked like it should. i did a quick reboot and i didn't have to do anything with apn setting either, it was automatically setup.

[ Edited ]
17 of 19 (17,896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 5:25:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Whew! Glad to hear that you finally got your phone working on a GoPhone plan, while still being able to keep the same phone number!

Hope it wasn't too difficult for you. It should have been a much simpler process, but that's life, right? Smiley Tongue

Whew! Glad to hear that you finally got your phone working on a GoPhone plan, while still being able to keep the same phone number!

Hope it wasn't too difficult for you. It should have been a much simpler process, but that's life, right? Smiley Tongue

18 of 19 (17,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 4:14:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

I know I'm a few months late on this but I was in a similar situation.

In 2008 I had an alltel prepaid phone and plan.  I went to an AT&T store to get a GoPhone plan.  They were not able to port my number from alltel and they gave me a new number.  Later that night, I went on AT&T's website and chatted with AT&T and they were able to port my number.

I know I'm a few months late on this but I was in a similar situation.

In 2008 I had an alltel prepaid phone and plan.  I went to an AT&T store to get a GoPhone plan.  They were not able to port my number from alltel and they gave me a new number.  Later that night, I went on AT&T's website and chatted with AT&T and they were able to port my number.

19 of 19 (16,767 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments