can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

Teacher

can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

hi, i just came back from an at&t store, and they tried to set up a gophone account.  but i wanted to port my existing verizon number into the gophone plan.  problem is, they could not do it.  they said it was not giving the option to port the number....

 

my question is, was it just employee incompetence?  or is it true, you can't port a verizon number into gohpone?

 

 

Message 1 of 19 (19,433 Views)
Master

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

My mom ported her Verizon month-to-month postpaid phone number to an AT&T GoPhone account around this time last year, so I'm sure it can be done. It was even done over the phone.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 2 of 19 (19,411 Views)
Teacher

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

wonder why they couldn't do it at the store.  i didn't get a good look at what they were doing. i saw one guy typing at a ipad, and about a minute later said it wasnt possible.

 

i wonder if it is best to set up a gophone account first or call customer support and try to do the port while setting up service?

 

 

Message 3 of 19 (19,380 Views)
Scholar

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?


wuerty wrote:

i wonder if it is best to set up a gophone account first or call customer support and try to do the port while setting up service?

 



No - don´t set up a account ---- call +1 (800) 901 9878 from any phone and press three time 0 

 

than you can speak to a human --- the will assist you.

 

 

 

Don´t forget there are no kangaroos in Austria !!! 

Message 4 of 19 (19,371 Views)
Teacher

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

oh ok, thanks.

 

btw is the sim card suppose to have 'go phone' displayed on it?  i think the guy at the store gave me a normal at&t sim card. i see nothing about go phone on it, just "rethink possible" and the at&t logo.  i'm thinking the guys at this store had no idea what they were doing

 

=/

 

 

 

Message 5 of 19 (19,320 Views)
Scholar

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

Yes now all SIM Card the same
Message 6 of 19 (19,321 Views)
Teacher

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

oh ok, thanks.  i had seen some byod go phone sim card kits, but they had 'go phone' written all over the sim card and packaging etc.

 

Message 7 of 19 (19,318 Views)
Scholar

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

Yes thats Old stuff
Message 8 of 19 (19,301 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?


Osttiroler wrote:

wuerty wrote:

i wonder if it is best to set up a gophone account first or call customer support and try to do the port while setting up service?

 



No - don´t set up a account ---- call +1 (800) 901 9878 from any phone and press three time 0 

 

than you can speak to a human --- the will assist you.

 

 

 

Don´t forget there are no kangaroos in Austria !!! 


An account can be set up first before the number is ported. The OP will simply be given a Temp. Number until the Verizon number is ported in. 

Message 9 of 19 (19,271 Views)
Master

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?


Irish Rose wrote:

Osttiroler wrote:

wuerty wrote:

i wonder if it is best to set up a gophone account first or call customer support and try to do the port while setting up service?

 



No - don´t set up a account ---- call +1 (800) 901 9878 from any phone and press three time 0 

 

than you can speak to a human --- the will assist you.

 

 

 

Don´t forget there are no kangaroos in Austria !!! 


An account can be set up first before the number is ported. The OP will simply be given a Temp. Number until the Verizon number is ported in. 


Pretty sure that's what they had my mother do when she was getting ready to port her number over... I seem to remember having her write down a random number until her original one could be used. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 10 of 19 (19,255 Views)
Teacher

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

[ Edited ]

000 did not work for me.  afterwards i just got an automated message to go see someone in one of the at&t stores. the only other options were "please input your phone number" which i did not have since i had not set up an account yet.  and "if you don't know your number dial 611"

 

edit: well chat support was not helpful either.  they said go get help in the store.  but those guys in the store said it was impossible to port a number into gophone...  so i guess at&t does not want my business

 

 

Message 11 of 19 (19,174 Views)
Master

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?


wuerty wrote:

000 did not work for me.  afterwards i just got an automated message to go see someone in one of the at&t stores. the only other options were "please input your phone number" which i did not have since i had not set up an account yet.  and "if you don't know your number dial 611"

 

edit: well chat support was not helpful either.  they said go get help in the store.  but those guys in the store said it was impossible to port a number into gophone...  so i guess at&t does not want my business

 

 


Here's the best possible way I can explain this. First, you should set up a GoPhone account with a temporary phone number if you have not done so already. After the account is set up and active, I would suggest calling customer service and inquiring about porting your number over from Verizon, as long as it's still available. They should be able to do this for you over the phone. If possible, get an AT&T representative on one end, and a Verizon representative on the other end. This is exactly how my mother did it and it was painless. I thought it would be very difficult, but it wasn't. She woke up with her active Verizon phone and had an active AT&T iPhone with the same phone number within the next hour or so. 

 

I hope this helps clear up any confusion/doubt! 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 12 of 19 (19,139 Views)
Teacher

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

thats what i was going to do originally, but a few people in this topic were saying NO! don't do that! call that number first and speak with a human etc.

Message 13 of 19 (19,127 Views)
Community Support

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?


wuerty wrote:

thats what i was going to do originally, but a few people in this topic were saying NO! don't do that! call that number first and speak with a human etc.


Wuerty, did the representative at the store check by account number or by your telephone number? If he/she checked by telephone number, it will result in an error message. Your account number is 9-10 digits long and is on your monthly invoice. 

 

Is the number still active? Is your account with Verizon still open? If not, the port will be unsuccesssful. 

 

These are the only two situations that a port would not be allowed. 

 

If neither the account number or account status are an issue, I recommend you go back to the store. 

 

Thank you

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 19 (19,100 Views)
Teacher

Re: can you port a verizon number into gophone ?

[ Edited ]

yes, the number is still active. the account is still open.  i don't think it ever got to the 'allowed' or not stage.

 i don't know the specifics of what they store employees did.  all i saw was they fiddled with their ipad for a couple minutes and ultimately they either didn't know how to do a number port, or i think they said they could not port the number to a gophone plan.

 so i asked for a sim and they gave me one.  and thats where i am today. i tried to call the 1800 number and got nothing but automated messages or directed to go talk to someone in the store.  so basically a deadend.

 

 

Message 15 of 19 (19,086 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.