beware: ATT refurb is NOT apple refurb

Contributor

beware: ATT refurb is NOT apple refurb

Recently my daughter upgraded her iPhone to iPhone 5, and decided to get a refurbished one to save some money (she's a poor student).  When the phone arrived two days later, she took it to the nearby Apple store to get Applecare+ for it.  She had the receipt and shipping invoice from ATT showing that the phone was purchased from them only 5 days previously. They informed her that the phone was not eligible for Applecare+ because according to their records it was more than 30 days since the purchase date.

It turns out that what ATT sold us was NOT a refurbished iPhone, but a USED iPhone.  Someone else had apparently returned the phone to ATT over a month ago, and they then sold it to us as "refurbished".  After long frustrating conversations with both Apple and ATT customer support, it turns out that what ATT means by a "refurbished" iPhone is substantially different from Apple's definition.  There is NO GUARANTEE that a "refurbished" iPhone from ATT will be eligible for Applecare+, or any Apple warranty for that matter, because it may have been previously used for any amount of time before being re-sold as "refurbished" by ATT.

We were not able to get Applecare+ for her iPhone 5.  It's no better than buying a used one off of craigslist, as far as Apple coverage is concerned.  If you are thinking about getting a "refurbished" ATT device, you might want to take that into consideration.  As an aside, the mobile insurance offered by ATT, which is the only coverage we could be guaranteed to get, is not nearly as good a deal as Applecare+: they are not equivalent.

FYI,

Message 1 of 5 (606 Views)
Professor

Re: beware: ATT refurb is NOT apple refurb

While I agree that you should not have been sold a phone that was obviously used and returned, I have a couple questions for you.

1. Why didn't you add AppleCare+ at the time of purchase? This would have thrown up a red flag that something was wrong from the start and you could have stopped the sale then and there.

2. When you did find out about the problem, why didn't you simply return the phone to the place of purchase? You have 14 days to return a phone that you don't want. They may have tried to charge you a restocking fee, but you should be able to fight it seeing as the phone is not what you were led to believe.

I would suggest sending a private message to ATTCustomerCare. They may be able to help.

Message 2 of 5 (496 Views)
Master

You said you went to the Apple store after 5 days and that is when you found out the the iPhone was used. That being the case you were still within the 14 day return period. Did you try going back to the AT&T where you purchased it to exchange that iPhone? 

Message 3 of 5 (438 Views)
Contributor

As far as returning the phone.

ATT offered to let us ship it back and exchange it for another phone.  However, that doesn't do any good: there is no guarantee that the replacement phone would be any better as far as getting Applecare+ is concerned.  The rep told us that it was "a total gamble."  We could just return the phone, but then my daughter has no phone.  I asked if we could purchase Applecare+ from ATT for the replacement, and was told that option is not available.  They made sure there was nothing we could do.

Message 4 of 5 (419 Views)
Highlighted
Master

beeblebrox wrote:

As far as returning the phone.

ATT offered to let us ship it back and exchange it for another phone.  However, that doesn't do any good: there is no guarantee that the replacement phone would be any better as far as getting Applecare+ is concerned.  The rep told us that it was "a total gamble."  We could just return the phone, but then my daughter has no phone.  I asked if we could purchase Applecare+ from ATT for the replacement, and was told that option is not available.  They made sure there was nothing we could do.

It's probably too late at this point. However, what you could have done is return the phone and purchased an iPhone directly through Apple. I always purchase all of my iDevices through Apple for this exact reason.

Message 5 of 5 (369 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.