at&t prefers new customers over customer retention

Tutor

at&t prefers new customers over customer retention

Went to an att store today to look into the NEXT service plan. Found out I can't migrate to next from my current plan. Not only that they now no lo get offer an upgrade at 18 months. We upgraded November 2012 so that renewed my two year plan. Then they offer next in the summer of 2013 and change their policy to not allow upgrades after 18 months. So a new customer can sign up for next today get a new phone and then get another new phone before my two year plan is up. The new customer has had two phones I have had the same one for two years. Today my wife talked me out of paying the $400 cancellation fee. That will change though. Att if you are going to offer new plans and change policies you should give existing customers a chance to move over go the new plan if they choose. Today you once again told me we value new customers over existing ones.

Soon to be......ex customer 

Message 1 of 28 (2,660 Views)
Mentor

Re: at&t prefers new customers over customer retention

That other customer was also paying an extra $27/month and is still hung under a two year contract. That's the point. They also won't get to keep their phone.

I guess it's good for Android users, or at least Galaxy. It looks like those phones don't hold their values very well. iPhone users lose out on this.
Message 2 of 28 (2,634 Views)
Tutor

The att rep said they paid the same as I do....maybe she lied....and do you keep your two year old outdated phones?
Message 3 of 28 (2,615 Views)
Tutor

Oh and as I said I should be given the choice to change. Now if they said nothing has changed for you. 18 months and you can upgrade if you wish I wouldn't have anything to complain about would I? It's about changing the policies as they see fit and basically saying....deal with it.
Message 4 of 28 (2,613 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

AT&T NEXT customers pay a monthly fee for the phone instead of an upfront upgrade, but NEXT costs more than the subisdized upgrade so that you can change every 12 months, BUT, you have to return the phone in usable condition or pay an additional fee for the cost of the phone. You will be given the choice to change once you complete your contract.
Yes, AT&T changed their upgrade policy, but the policy is not part of the contract, it is just a policy that would allow you to break your contract to make a new contract. AT&T now requires you to complete your contract before upgrading.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 28 (2,607 Views)
Tutor

I didn't say I didn't understand.....I said it's crap. Trust me I won't be upgrading with att more than likely I will just buy myself out of it. Don't like doing business with companies that change practices without giving customers options. For quite a while it was upgrade at 18 months. It was a trade off I get a new phone att gets me under contract again instead of me shopping around. You have guaranteed I will shop around because you just decided you no longer wanted to bargain. Do business your way or leave.....I'll leave.
Message 6 of 28 (2,600 Views)
Tutor

Did att notify existing customers that they changed their policy????? No not until they come in looking to upgrade they don't.
Message 7 of 28 (2,594 Views)
Mentor

I knew about it and I wasn't even at AT&T customer.

And you are right. Not letting more joing Next is bad for them. They make more money off it and not letting the people that actually want to pay that join will just run them off.

Good luck going wherever you go to. I hope they have good coverage where you live. I'm joing AT&T because the other Big 3 have zero coverage for me.
Message 8 of 28 (2,583 Views)
ACE - Expert

They did notify customers. It was on the bill that you should look at each month and it was publicized and It was sent to customers in an email. Did you read the email or did you just delete it thinking it was just advertising?
What did you want, a personal phone call?
Companies change policies all the time. They cannot make sure that you read the info that is sent and just because you didn't read it, doesn't mean that it doesn't apply to you.
So you will have to wait an additional 6 months before you upgrade. Even on Next, you can't change whenever you want. There are minimum terms there too, but you just pay a lot more for the opportunity to change phones every year.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 28 (2,575 Views)
ACE - Expert

davidg4781 wrote:

And you are right. Not letting more joing Next is bad for them. They make more money off it and not letting the people that actually want to pay that join will just run them off.

Good luck going wherever you go to. I hope they have good coverage where you live. I'm joing AT&T because the other Big 3 have zero coverage for me.

Everyone can join Next when they are upgrade eligible. You need to complete the contract that you signed before you can go to the next step. You haven't paid for the last subsidized phone yet. 

Message 10 of 28 (2,576 Views)
Expert

davidg4781 wrote:

existing customers can get the next program, they just have to fulfil the contract that they are currently in that got them their last phone at a subsidized price

Message 11 of 28 (2,572 Views)
Expert

silverfz1 wrote:
Did att notify existing customers that they changed their policy????? No not until they come in looking to upgrade they don't.

knew about it about 3 months before it happened, was covered in the majority of news sites and it was on the bill

Message 12 of 28 (2,571 Views)
Employee

AT&T was one of the last big US carriers to go to a strict 24 month contract. Every other carrier has the same practice, strict 24 months. These policy changes have been going on for at least the last 2 years. Also, with NEXT it's not 'paying a lot more,' do the math. In most cases it's around $70 more a year to be able to upgrade yearly, also... If you decide to keep your device while on NEXT (a 20 month 'contact' not 24) you end up paying somewhere between $30-100 less than the retail price of the device, then you can trade it in or sell it after month 20. IPhones will hold their value the same because they are still being sold or traded in within a two year mark.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 28 (2,544 Views)
Employee

I agree that customers should be able to switch to NEXT If they are in a current year+ old commitment, however, NEXT was launched and advertised as another way to UPGRADE. Another thing to consider is that new customers have to qualify for NEXT by a credit check and the credit rating for NEXT is extremely high, If you are a current customer then you can upgrade to NEXT no problem, IF you have an upgrade available.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 28 (2,543 Views)
Tutor

Which is exactly the point. They introduced a new program from the last time I upgraded and renewed. I have gone one year on that contract.......I said the exact same thing to my wife, why can't we switch to next now if we chose to. When iasked the att rep at the store what the cost of the plans were she told me they were comparable price was. I don't work for att, I don't know pricing so I go by what the att rep tells me. If you were told hey you are basically saying that the person paying next rates gets a new phone every year IF THEY CHOOSE TO, but you have to wait two years and you pay the same........apparently most of the people on this forum are just fine with that. I see that as treating a new customer better than an existing one. Which was the entire point of this post. Not which plan was better. I believe the reason they don't want to let me off my contract is next doesn't make them as much profit. As most of you said att was the last to go to something like this.....why? Obviously losing customers who liked the idea of a new phone every year. It's not complicated.
Message 15 of 28 (2,531 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.