Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 18, 2013
12:53:10 PM
View profile
Wow, AT&T

AT&T has seriously lost touch.

I would have just sent a message to AT&T and not posted on the forums, but they have removed the "Message Center" link that I used to see.  Also there is no advertised e-mail address for comments.

You can order anything you like online.  But the moment you want to remove a line, you have to call and let them try to talk you out of it and upsell.  Not cool.   It took far too long to cancel 1 out of 4 lines I had.  Even internet ISPs, etc. have wised up on this front and no longer put you through the ringer for wanting to cancel something.  You can't even cancel on the instant chat.  Does AT&T really not trust those agents to handle something like a line cancel?

And the data plan being required for a smart phone. What a rip-off. I can get online at home and at work without a special data plan. I just use WIFI.  To have AT&T sit there and say you have to have a costly data plan, and, "it is for your own good"... this is rediculous.  Everybody should be speaking out about this.  If I choose that my experience with a smart phone will be better with a data plan, I can get a data plan.

This is the reason I haven't ever bothered with a smart phone.  Of course AT&T thinks if you want a non-smart phone, a couple of pitiful choices of sliders is good enough for you.

I feel AT&T has lost all respect for its consumer.  I'm sure many of the others are the same.  I'm definitely shopping around right now for wireless companies.

I know AT&T will hop on here and try to rationalize all these concerns away.  But any way you spin it, the truth speaks for itself.

AT&T has seriously lost touch.

I would have just sent a message to AT&T and not posted on the forums, but they have removed the "Message Center" link that I used to see.  Also there is no advertised e-mail address for comments.

You can order anything you like online.  But the moment you want to remove a line, you have to call and let them try to talk you out of it and upsell.  Not cool.   It took far too long to cancel 1 out of 4 lines I had.  Even internet ISPs, etc. have wised up on this front and no longer put you through the ringer for wanting to cancel something.  You can't even cancel on the instant chat.  Does AT&T really not trust those agents to handle something like a line cancel?

And the data plan being required for a smart phone. What a rip-off. I can get online at home and at work without a special data plan. I just use WIFI.  To have AT&T sit there and say you have to have a costly data plan, and, "it is for your own good"... this is rediculous.  Everybody should be speaking out about this.  If I choose that my experience with a smart phone will be better with a data plan, I can get a data plan.

This is the reason I haven't ever bothered with a smart phone.  Of course AT&T thinks if you want a non-smart phone, a couple of pitiful choices of sliders is good enough for you.

I feel AT&T has lost all respect for its consumer.  I'm sure many of the others are the same.  I'm definitely shopping around right now for wireless companies.

I know AT&T will hop on here and try to rationalize all these concerns away.  But any way you spin it, the truth speaks for itself.

Wow, AT&T

11 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 3:48:34 PM
(0)
Employee

Hey bluckau,

You're right. People tend respond better to offers to assist them/save them if we can talk to them. I don't make the policies, but I don't blame the power-that-be from trying to help every customer frustrated enough to try cancel.

Data plans for smartphones is an industry standard at this point. I'm sure that small consolation.

The only  exception I've seen is prepaid service, such as Gophone.

-Alex

Hey bluckau,

You're right. People tend respond better to offers to assist them/save them if we can talk to them. I don't make the policies, but I don't blame the power-that-be from trying to help every customer frustrated enough to try cancel.

Data plans for smartphones is an industry standard at this point. I'm sure that small consolation.

The only  exception I've seen is prepaid service, such as Gophone.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Wow, AT&T

2 of 12 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 1:01:37 AM
(0)
Teacher
Bluckau I agree with you 100% on how at&t has just gone down hill. I've had them as a cell phone provider for a year now and in that time have had countless problems that they have yet to solve one of. I've looked around a lot at other providers and honestly at this point even Verizon seems a better choice which is really sad on at&t's part that even Verizon provides better service and help.
Bluckau I agree with you 100% on how at&t has just gone down hill. I've had them as a cell phone provider for a year now and in that time have had countless problems that they have yet to solve one of. I've looked around a lot at other providers and honestly at this point even Verizon seems a better choice which is really sad on at&t's part that even Verizon provides better service and help.

3 of 12 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 7:51:37 AM
(0)
Expert

r.ashley wrote:

beg to differ on verizon, they are hands down a lot worse then att, the service from verizon in my home area is worse then two tin cans and a string. Utilize ATT when I am at home and not traveling

r.ashley wrote:

beg to differ on verizon, they are hands down a lot worse then att, the service from verizon in my home area is worse then two tin cans and a string. Utilize ATT when I am at home and not traveling

4 of 12 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 9:40:20 AM
(0)
Professor

bluckau wrote:

Why?  Some of us want data plans anyway, so this doesn't negatively affect us.  There are other cellular service providers that don't require a data plan with a smartphone but given the difference in subscriber numbers between those service providers and AT&T, I think that many people don't mind having a data plan on a smartphone.

bluckau wrote:

Why?  Some of us want data plans anyway, so this doesn't negatively affect us.  There are other cellular service providers that don't require a data plan with a smartphone but given the difference in subscriber numbers between those service providers and AT&T, I think that many people don't mind having a data plan on a smartphone.

5 of 12 (474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 10:15:36 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by bluckau on Dec 19, 2013 at 10:21:26 AM

WRT trying to cancel a line -- I had to tell two different people many times over (each) that I'm just cancelling one of our 4 lines because we don't need it.  They should have been able to tell (easily) that I was frustrated with their "attempts" but AT&T probably bullies the employees to not take "No" for an answer.  Note -- I was never cancelling a line out of frustration and they knew that.

When I work with a company and they do not try to talk me out of cancelling (Netflix or Godaddy for example) I'm much more likely to go back to that company later.

I'm sure that much of this is industry standard, which doesn't make it OK, it just reflects badly on all the big players. Hopefully that paves the way for someone else to step in and say, we are here to provide an alternative.

WRT data plans -- if that is true that there are other companies that do not require it, I'll probably end up with one of those companies shortly.  To the person who said many of us want a data plan,  well sure.  Obviously it should be offered. Even encouraged.  That is completely missing the point.  it is the *required* part that gets people up in arms (I know I'm not alone.)   People even get smart phones on ebay and start using them, and then AT&T suddenly "detects" they are on a smart phone and forces the data plan on them. (when they were perfectly happy for the last month or so that they didn't have it.)  This is not customer service, this is trying to shoot the customer in the back.  Note -- you can talk about, "well it's in the contract".  That's missing the point too -- it shouldn't be.

WRT trying to cancel a line -- I had to tell two different people many times over (each) that I'm just cancelling one of our 4 lines because we don't need it.  They should have been able to tell (easily) that I was frustrated with their "attempts" but AT&T probably bullies the employees to not take "No" for an answer.  Note -- I was never cancelling a line out of frustration and they knew that.

When I work with a company and they do not try to talk me out of cancelling (Netflix or Godaddy for example) I'm much more likely to go back to that company later.

I'm sure that much of this is industry standard, which doesn't make it OK, it just reflects badly on all the big players. Hopefully that paves the way for someone else to step in and say, we are here to provide an alternative.

WRT data plans -- if that is true that there are other companies that do not require it, I'll probably end up with one of those companies shortly.  To the person who said many of us want a data plan,  well sure.  Obviously it should be offered. Even encouraged.  That is completely missing the point.  it is the *required* part that gets people up in arms (I know I'm not alone.)   People even get smart phones on ebay and start using them, and then AT&T suddenly "detects" they are on a smart phone and forces the data plan on them. (when they were perfectly happy for the last month or so that they didn't have it.)  This is not customer service, this is trying to shoot the customer in the back.  Note -- you can talk about, "well it's in the contract".  That's missing the point too -- it shouldn't be.

[ Edited ]
6 of 12 (471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 1:51:46 PM
(0)
Expert

bluckau wrote:

you do realize that there are automatic functions of a smartphone that require cellular data and will use it, with or without a plan. One example is visual voicemail, so if you phone utilizes it don;t expect it to work correctly if cellular data is turned off, another example is a MMS message, MMS by it's RFP states that a Multimedia Message is sent via the cellular data channel of a phone, be it smartphone or basic QMD device, if cellular data is turned off then you will not be able to work on the device for send OR receive.

Never seen any carrier not require a cellular data plan on a smartphone, got examples? I know that Sprint, Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile even straight talk has a built in data plan.

ATT gives you the option of having a smartphone with out a data plan, just choose the appropriate gophone plan for your phone and you have all that you want, they even give you a number of reasonable priced options for smartphones.

bluckau wrote:

you do realize that there are automatic functions of a smartphone that require cellular data and will use it, with or without a plan. One example is visual voicemail, so if you phone utilizes it don;t expect it to work correctly if cellular data is turned off, another example is a MMS message, MMS by it's RFP states that a Multimedia Message is sent via the cellular data channel of a phone, be it smartphone or basic QMD device, if cellular data is turned off then you will not be able to work on the device for send OR receive.

Never seen any carrier not require a cellular data plan on a smartphone, got examples? I know that Sprint, Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile even straight talk has a built in data plan.

ATT gives you the option of having a smartphone with out a data plan, just choose the appropriate gophone plan for your phone and you have all that you want, they even give you a number of reasonable priced options for smartphones.

7 of 12 (452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 2:02:24 PM
(0)
Professor

Since T-Mobile changed their postpaid plans all of those plans include data, even those that are for basic phones, smartphone users will now have data plans.  The prepaid side still allows for use of a smartphone without a data plan (my mother uses her smartphone without a data plan).  The old postpaid plans didn't require a data plan if the customer brought his/her own device or was out of contract on a previously subsidized device.

Other MVNOs allow customers to choose voice-only plans for smartphones.  Red Pocket and H2o Wireless are two that come to mind.

Since T-Mobile changed their postpaid plans all of those plans include data, even those that are for basic phones, smartphone users will now have data plans.  The prepaid side still allows for use of a smartphone without a data plan (my mother uses her smartphone without a data plan).  The old postpaid plans didn't require a data plan if the customer brought his/her own device or was out of contract on a previously subsidized device.

Other MVNOs allow customers to choose voice-only plans for smartphones.  Red Pocket and H2o Wireless are two that come to mind.

8 of 12 (450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 6:21:56 PM
(0)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

So the poster does have other options, never heard of either of them though, or the user can go with a gophone plan from att

21stNow wrote:

So the poster does have other options, never heard of either of them though, or the user can go with a gophone plan from att

9 of 12 (432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 4:45:29 AM
(0)
Guru
The data plan thing is a ripoff, full stop. It's not about visual voicemail or anything else. It's about money.
ATT has the right, however, to make its own rules.
And you have the right to find a better company.
The data plan thing is a ripoff, full stop. It's not about visual voicemail or anything else. It's about money.

10 of 12 (391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 5:37:19 AM
(0)
Expert

harryspar wrote:

So does Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, Rogers and every other for profit company in existance, isn;t being a for profit organization wonderful.

Yes you do have the right to find a "better company", but the grass is not always greener on the other side, it has weeds and needs to be mowed. Guess you could always IPO and make your own rules

harryspar wrote:

So does Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, Rogers and every other for profit company in existance, isn;t being a for profit organization wonderful.

Yes you do have the right to find a "better company", but the grass is not always greener on the other side, it has weeds and needs to be mowed. Guess you could always IPO and make your own rules

11 of 12 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2013 1:42:23 PM
(0)
Employee
It seems like this article has a decent explanation. http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB422370&cv=820#fbid=XG1gvs9r_TX . The main difference between smartphones and nonsmartphones is the inherent power and capability to use data based services. Basic functions of the phone will use data. Some will work with wifi, but no everything. To ensure that owners of smartphones have a similar experience, variety of options, manufactures have worked with cellular providers to mostly mandate the data. That will, they can advertise data using feature X, Y & Z, and for customer to have access to all those. If the situation was reversed, we'd have posts complaining "Why do all the cool things smartphones can do require additional data?" Well now the data is incorporated into the plan. The only way around it is specifically choose to pay for the full cost of the phone and chose a prepaid service where it's not required.
Current AT&T plans, have the data auto incorporated for all phones, even non smartphones.
-Alex
It seems like this article has a decent explanation. http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB422370&cv=820#fbid=XG1gvs9r_TX . The main difference between smartphones and nonsmartphones is the inherent power and capability to use data based services. Basic functions of the phone will use data. Some will work with wifi, but no everything. To ensure that owners of smartphones have a similar experience, variety of options, manufactures have worked with cellular providers to mostly mandate the data. That will, they can advertise data using feature X, Y & Z, and for customer to have access to all those. If the situation was reversed, we'd have posts complaining "Why do all the cool things smartphones can do require additional data?" Well now the data is incorporated into the plan. The only way around it is specifically choose to pay for the full cost of the phone and chose a prepaid service where it's not required.
Current AT&T plans, have the data auto incorporated for all phones, even non smartphones.
-Alex

12 of 12 (301 Views)