Ask a question

Posted Aug 3, 2010
    8:52:58 AM
    View profile
    Wireless call block

Would someone explain to me why ATT does not allow wireless customers to block incoming calls without subscribing to yet ANOTHER fee-based service?  Land-line phones have had this option for years.  Just another way to gouge the customer, as I see it.  The advent of spam calls to cell phones has necessitated this service, in my opinion, but one can only block ten numbers for an extra $5 a month. Greedy, greedy!

Wireless call block

20 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (20)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2010 9:20:44 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Edited by UNSC_REACH on Aug 3, 2010 at 9:21:23 AM

I'm pretty sure its a liability issue. If you block a number to a person thats stalking you, then the get in touch with you by somehow bypassing that block (calling from another number, etc) that woud not be good. So they offer the feature, but for a parental controls type of deal - not as a harassing call blocker. Its better to just change the number.

Now, if its just spam stuff then ask the people to stop calling or put yourself on the do not call list.

Re: Wireless call block

[ Edited ]
    2 of 21 (8,876 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2010 9:56:44 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

I understand the parental control idea, but suddenly I am faced with multiple calls from companies who apparently will not listen to the "do not call" request.  I have had the same cell phone # since the early 90's or so and it would be extraordinarily inconvenient to change my phone #.  Simply put, liability does not seem an appropriate reason for not offering a service that is available on land lines.  There appears to be a huge rash of spoofing #'s as well, and the customer has no recourse...These callers are up to no good obviously, but the good guys have no way of fighting it.  The random calls stopped briefly when I purchased my iPhone, but started up again today. :<

3 of 21 (8,866 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2010 10:03:49 AM
    (0)
    Professor

True, I can see where your coming from with that. My only suggestion is to ask ATT to let you try it for a month, see if it works for you. I'm sure they would let you have $5 or $10. Other then that, tell them when they call they are in violation of the do not call list and also report them to the website.

Unless they are creditors for you, I dont believe they apply to the do not call list.

4 of 21 (8,863 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2010 10:33:19 AM
    (0)
    Expert

vetmom wrote:

I understand the parental control idea, but suddenly I am faced with multiple calls from companies who apparently will not listen to the "do not call" request.  I have had the same cell phone # since the early 90's or so and it would be extraordinarily inconvenient to change my phone #.  Simply put, liability does not seem an appropriate reason for not offering a service that is available on land lines.  There appears to be a huge rash of spoofing #'s as well, and the customer has no recourse...These callers are up to no good obviously, but the good guys have no way of fighting it.  The random calls stopped briefly when I purchased my iPhone, but started up again today. :<

if it is normal sales calls you can block those with the Do Not Call List, both federal and local as long as the callers are not exempt by the rules of the list.

If they are any other calls, such as law enforcment, collection agencies,  debt collection,etc the do not call list will not work

5 of 21 (8,860 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2010 12:44:03 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Seriously, I don't believe that the "Do Not Call" federal program has much in the way of enforcement teeth.  If you cannot identify the caller, but they continue to call with different spoofed numbers and under different identities, we have no options.  Seriously, I have no connection with any of these folks...No creditors out there that I am aware of.  My number has somehow been published on a "suckers list" I guess.  My question still remains:  Why can't ATT allow call block on landline phones and not on cell phones without a charge?

6 of 21 (8,851 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2010 12:55:14 PM
    (0)
    Professor

Let me ask a practical question. Lets say this: att can block numbers. If you have someone spoofing their number with different identities, you'r just playing cat and mouse updating the blocked numbers and they'll just spoof more. Why not accept that its not a practical answer?

7 of 21 (8,850 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2010 1:02:51 PM
    (0)
    Expert
    Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 3, 2010 at 1:07:14 PM

vetmom wrote:

Seriously, I don't believe that the "Do Not Call" federal program has much in the way of enforcement teeth.  If you cannot identify the caller, but they continue to call with different spoofed numbers and under different identities, we have no options.  Seriously, I have no connection with any of these folks...No creditors out there that I am aware of.  My number has somehow been published on a "suckers list" I guess.  My question still remains:  Why can't ATT allow call block on landline phones and not on cell phones without a charge?

funny, seems to be working pretty well, at least in the state of missouri, to date they have collected $3,793,000 in fines from places that have violated the rules. You choice if you do not want to try that method.

Last time I looked call blocking on landlines is 6.00 a month and a 7.75 one time setup charge

[ Edited ]
    8 of 21 (8,850 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 3, 2010 9:06:33 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Somehow I was under the impression that the Federal "Do Not Call" list did not include cell numbers.  I have registered, and now will wait for 31 days to see if the calling continues.  I appreciate the input from all who provided comments.  The call block issue is still open for me, as I naively thought that the process should be more simple.  No viable apps are available for iPhone either. 

9 of 21 (8,837 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 4, 2010 7:15:26 AM
    (0)
    Professor

Well, Apple doesnt allow 3rd party apps to handle the calls or maybe you'd see a call blocking app. I hope the do not call list helps!

10 of 21 (8,824 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 9, 2010 5:59:41 AM
    (0)
    Professor

Why not just change your cell phone number and not give it to the one stalking you.  If the person does start calling you again, then it must be someone in your contacts or persons who you have given your new number to that must have passed it on to the stalker....

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

11 of 21 (7,677 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 9, 2010 6:39:28 AM
    (0)
    Expert
    Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 9, 2010 at 6:39:46 AM

RicoLX wrote:

Why not just change your cell phone number and not give it to the one stalking you.  If the person does start calling you again, then it must be someone in your contacts or persons who you have given your new number to that must have passed it on to the stalker....

have a better idea, if the person is stalking talk to the police and let them handle it properly, why should they change their cell phone number becasue of a low life scum?

[ Edited ]
    12 of 21 (7,672 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 9, 2010 8:16:09 AM
    (0)
    Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

have a better idea, if the person is stalking talk to the police and let them handle it properly, why should they change their cell phone number becasue of a low life scum?

While I agree with you, wingrider01, just the fact that the other person knows your number - its best to just change it.

13 of 21 (7,665 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 9, 2010 9:33:14 AM
    (0)
    Expert

UNSC_REACH wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

While I agree with you, wingrider01, just the fact that the other person knows your number - its best to just change it.

depends on how long you have had your number, in my case my personal cell phone number goes back to when ATT was SBC here back in the 80's, have had it ever since, would rather go the police method and lock the scum up rather then bow to their will

14 of 21 (7,661 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 9, 2010 10:54:22 AM
    (0)
    Professor

Thats very true, we've had a number in the family for like 3 generations. My grandmothers home phone, since then she had my mother and my mom had me and I might be having a kid soon. So I know, these numbers can get some real tenure sometimes. We even use parts of the phone number in passwords in stuff.

I see your point, gosh I hate stalkers...

15 of 21 (7,657 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 11, 2010 3:48:53 PM
    (0)
    Professor

Wow, to have a number that long makes it practically part of the family. That would make it hard for me too, to decide to give it up for a new number or hold onto it and put up with the stalker.

But i would rather get a free number change due to harrasments rather than pay for a block service because of one 'slimeball'.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

16 of 21 (7,644 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 13, 2012 9:40:07 AM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Edited by Phil-101 on Apr 13, 2012 at 9:54:49 AM

I don't see how this answer is marked as a "solution".  It says, "hey.. this is just too hard, so At&t can't do it."  Really !?! A multi-national, multi-trillion dollar, century old company like Atlantic Telephone & Telegraph can't come up with an easy way for a user to block a number to a wireless account without charging another 4.99/mo ?  I find that to be the worst cop-out excuse ever; not a solution. 

I have been getting harassed by 360-***-****.  A simple Google search of this number shows thousands of people just like me.  Also, just like me many of them have been on the DNC list for years, and actively check it each quarter.  Funny thing is, I got At&t after leaving years ago because they were the sole carrier on the iPhone and I need the functionality that Android is just now catching up to.  Now, Verizon is on the iPhone and guess what - they block numbers for FREE.  Way to go At&t; way to alienate even more customers.  I am an IT professional, and have worked with soft-switches, main-line dialers, and loads of other technical devices that can and do this job for government, and private sector users at no additional cost.  The wireless call block is not only easy, but mandatory at certain installations.  So, I guess, it's time to wait once again for my contract expire and go to a competitor who can (gasp) actually do what At&t calls impossible.

Maybe, I'm crazy, but I thought "the customer is always right" was how Ma-Bell got big enough to conglomerate.  Guess they have so many willing zombies (of which I am now reluctantly one until my contract expires) that they don't have to care anymore.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
    17 of 21 (7,490 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 14, 2012 3:49:17 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

If you have an HTC device running Sense it has a call block feature built-in. 

Obviously this is a worthless solution if you have any other type of phone, but at least it is free. Smiley Happy

18 of 21 (7,478 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 22, 2012 11:35:08 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

It's ridiculous that they don't have that feature on our phones without paying another fee!  I just talked to ATT and we already spend about $600 a month on Wireless and Uverse and landlines and I can't block a call that comes in every hour from a company in Oregon that has no name and every time I call back and say "#1" for "do not call me" they keep coming!  I'm on every do not call list and this number has no name with it.

At least with ATT having that feature (WITHOUT PAYING EVEN MORE FOR IT!!!)I could block that number today.  And the next number they try the next time!

I'm so angry with them right now for asking me for yet more money to stop someone from harrassing me with marketing calls despite being on every do not call list there is!  I've had this number for several years---why would I change it to just another number someone else will find???

This is a huge customer service issue and I believe ATT should be responsive to it.  They know it's not right.

Shame on you ATT.

19 of 21 (6,964 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 22, 2012 3:06:49 PM
    (0)
    Employee
    If you are on the do not call list then you need to go back to that site and let them know of the number that is calling you
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

20 of 21 (6,955 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 22, 2012 5:00:01 PM
    (0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed, as it is very old. 

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

21 of 21 (6,948 Views)