Wireless call block

Tutor

Wireless call block

Would someone explain to me why ATT does not allow wireless customers to block incoming calls without subscribing to yet ANOTHER fee-based service?  Land-line phones have had this option for years.  Just another way to gouge the customer, as I see it.  The advent of spam calls to cell phones has necessitated this service, in my opinion, but one can only block ten numbers for an extra $5 a month. Greedy, greedy!

Message 1 of 21 (9,339 Views)
Professor

Re: Wireless call block

[ Edited ]

I'm pretty sure its a liability issue. If you block a number to a person thats stalking you, then the get in touch with you by somehow bypassing that block (calling from another number, etc) that woud not be good. So they offer the feature, but for a parental controls type of deal - not as a harassing call blocker. Its better to just change the number.

Now, if its just spam stuff then ask the people to stop calling or put yourself on the do not call list.

Message 2 of 21 (9,331 Views)
Tutor

I understand the parental control idea, but suddenly I am faced with multiple calls from companies who apparently will not listen to the "do not call" request.  I have had the same cell phone # since the early 90's or so and it would be extraordinarily inconvenient to change my phone #.  Simply put, liability does not seem an appropriate reason for not offering a service that is available on land lines.  There appears to be a huge rash of spoofing #'s as well, and the customer has no recourse...These callers are up to no good obviously, but the good guys have no way of fighting it.  The random calls stopped briefly when I purchased my iPhone, but started up again today. :<

Message 3 of 21 (9,321 Views)
Professor

True, I can see where your coming from with that. My only suggestion is to ask ATT to let you try it for a month, see if it works for you. I'm sure they would let you have $5 or $10. Other then that, tell them when they call they are in violation of the do not call list and also report them to the website.

Unless they are creditors for you, I dont believe they apply to the do not call list.

Message 4 of 21 (9,318 Views)
Expert

vetmom wrote:

I understand the parental control idea, but suddenly I am faced with multiple calls from companies who apparently will not listen to the "do not call" request.  I have had the same cell phone # since the early 90's or so and it would be extraordinarily inconvenient to change my phone #.  Simply put, liability does not seem an appropriate reason for not offering a service that is available on land lines.  There appears to be a huge rash of spoofing #'s as well, and the customer has no recourse...These callers are up to no good obviously, but the good guys have no way of fighting it.  The random calls stopped briefly when I purchased my iPhone, but started up again today. :<

if it is normal sales calls you can block those with the Do Not Call List, both federal and local as long as the callers are not exempt by the rules of the list.

If they are any other calls, such as law enforcment, collection agencies,  debt collection,etc the do not call list will not work

Message 5 of 21 (9,315 Views)
Tutor

Seriously, I don't believe that the "Do Not Call" federal program has much in the way of enforcement teeth.  If you cannot identify the caller, but they continue to call with different spoofed numbers and under different identities, we have no options.  Seriously, I have no connection with any of these folks...No creditors out there that I am aware of.  My number has somehow been published on a "suckers list" I guess.  My question still remains:  Why can't ATT allow call block on landline phones and not on cell phones without a charge?

Message 6 of 21 (9,306 Views)
Professor

Let me ask a practical question. Lets say this: att can block numbers. If you have someone spoofing their number with different identities, you'r just playing cat and mouse updating the blocked numbers and they'll just spoof more. Why not accept that its not a practical answer?

Message 7 of 21 (9,305 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

vetmom wrote:

Seriously, I don't believe that the "Do Not Call" federal program has much in the way of enforcement teeth.  If you cannot identify the caller, but they continue to call with different spoofed numbers and under different identities, we have no options.  Seriously, I have no connection with any of these folks...No creditors out there that I am aware of.  My number has somehow been published on a "suckers list" I guess.  My question still remains:  Why can't ATT allow call block on landline phones and not on cell phones without a charge?

funny, seems to be working pretty well, at least in the state of missouri, to date they have collected $3,793,000 in fines from places that have violated the rules. You choice if you do not want to try that method.

Last time I looked call blocking on landlines is 6.00 a month and a 7.75 one time setup charge

Message 8 of 21 (9,305 Views)
Tutor

Somehow I was under the impression that the Federal "Do Not Call" list did not include cell numbers.  I have registered, and now will wait for 31 days to see if the calling continues.  I appreciate the input from all who provided comments.  The call block issue is still open for me, as I naively thought that the process should be more simple.  No viable apps are available for iPhone either. 

Message 9 of 21 (9,292 Views)
Professor

Well, Apple doesnt allow 3rd party apps to handle the calls or maybe you'd see a call blocking app. I hope the do not call list helps!

Message 10 of 21 (9,279 Views)
Professor

Why not just change your cell phone number and not give it to the one stalking you.  If the person does start calling you again, then it must be someone in your contacts or persons who you have given your new number to that must have passed it on to the stalker....

Message 11 of 21 (8,132 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

RicoLX wrote:

Why not just change your cell phone number and not give it to the one stalking you.  If the person does start calling you again, then it must be someone in your contacts or persons who you have given your new number to that must have passed it on to the stalker....

have a better idea, if the person is stalking talk to the police and let them handle it properly, why should they change their cell phone number becasue of a low life scum?

Message 12 of 21 (8,127 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

have a better idea, if the person is stalking talk to the police and let them handle it properly, why should they change their cell phone number becasue of a low life scum?

While I agree with you, wingrider01, just the fact that the other person knows your number - its best to just change it.

Message 13 of 21 (8,120 Views)
Expert

UNSC_REACH wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

While I agree with you, wingrider01, just the fact that the other person knows your number - its best to just change it.

depends on how long you have had your number, in my case my personal cell phone number goes back to when ATT was SBC here back in the 80's, have had it ever since, would rather go the police method and lock the scum up rather then bow to their will

Message 14 of 21 (8,116 Views)
Professor

Thats very true, we've had a number in the family for like 3 generations. My grandmothers home phone, since then she had my mother and my mom had me and I might be having a kid soon. So I know, these numbers can get some real tenure sometimes. We even use parts of the phone number in passwords in stuff.

I see your point, gosh I hate stalkers...

Message 15 of 21 (8,112 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.